Diabetes

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
So are there any medical examiners on the board or just folks that share what they know?

My question deals with diabetes. I don't know anything about it really. My father has a type, I don't know which, but I think it's genetic. Am I right? If so, the chances of my developing this are possible, if not probable. How will this affect my career as a pilot?

Big topic that I'm sure has been discussed previously, but I'm fairly new around here. Thank You.

SkykingC310 said:
So are there any medical examiners on the board or just folks that share what they know?

My question deals with diabetes. I don't know anything about it really. My father has a type, I don't know which, but I think it's genetic. Am I right? If so, the chances of my developing this are possible, if not probable. How will this affect my career as a pilot?

Big topic that I'm sure has been discussed previously, but I'm fairly new around here. Thank You.

I have a friend who is insulin dependent and is a CFI. He has his Comm License but only qualifies for a 3rd class medical. He has been told that most likely in a few years with the new insulin pump and the meds, he may get his 2nd class medical. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Adam, how old are you? Juvenile Diabetes usually occurs prior to puberty. If you're a pilot I presume you're past that point:D

Type II usually manifests itself from mid 40's into 50's. Sometimes controlled by diet and/or pills, if not then insulin. Technology is changing rapidly including the iselet transplants so it would be difficult to project what the requirements will be when/if you start exhibiting symptoms. Check your urine sugar at least once a month and try and keep weight under control.

The key I believe is that the FAA wouldn't want you passing out from hypoglycemia or insulin reactions - many times the symptoms of hypoglycemic reactions appear as drunkeness.

Disclaimer - not a doctor but was married to a type I, brittle diabetic for 14 years.

bstratt said:
Type II usually manifests itself from mid 40's into 50's.
This no longer holds true. We are now facing an "epidemic" of type II diabetes in children and adolescents under 18 years.

Both types of diabetes, type I, formerly known as Juvenile Diabetes and type II, formerly known as adult-onset diabetes have strong genetic mediators.

They are two entirely different diseases. In type one you have absence of insulin production by the Beta cells of the pancreas. In type II insulin is still produced but there is a generalized resistance of the body tissues to its effect.

Type I is much more difficult to control and requires a lot of dedication on the part of the patient and his/her dear ones to keep under control, as I'm certain you know from experience.

SkykingC310 said:
My father has a type, I don't know which, but I think it's genetic. Am I right? If so, the chances of my developing this are possible, if not probable.

If your father has type II diabetes your chances of developing diabetes over your lifetime are roughly 25%.

SkykingC310 said:
How will this affect my career as a pilot?

If controlled by diet and exercise alone, you should be ok. If oral medications are needed you will need to go through the special issuance (SI) process.

TeenDoc said:
If your father has type II diabetes your chances of developing diabetes over your lifetime are roughly 25%......If controlled by diet and exercise alone, you should be ok. If oral medications are needed you will need to go through the special issuance (SI) process.
Right now there is NO Special Issuance for insulin dependent Diabetes Mellitus for Class I medical certificates. That would affect a career....

For Noninsulin dependent DM you can get a class I certificate, but airlines do pick and choose....

I know of a 747 Captain with United that has a special issuance 1st class from diabetes. But he was on with the airlines a loooong time before he got that.

tonycondon said:
I know of a 747 Captain with United that has a special issuance 1st class from diabetes. But he was on with the airlines a loooong time before he got that.
And that was not a medical waiver. That was an operational waiver (2nd of three ways to do this) based on thousands of hours of proven performance....and he's restricted to "valid only for part 121 operations in which there are two PIC rated pilots".

Last edited:
Skyking, I'm a type I diabetic and have had my SI for 4 years (renewed annually). While diabetes does have some family history considerations I am the first one in our family to have either type I or type II.
There are numerous requirements necessary for flight but I consider them (well most) valid.
If you have questions you don't want to ask in public, feel free to pm me.

Having a family history of Type II, my doctor warned me about my weight and that if I didn't lose some I was quite likely to develop type II diabetes.

I lost 30 lbs and have had no problems - I test myself regularly and get an annual physical from my regular doctor, and my bloodwork shows that my blood sugar control is within normal limits.

As mentioned before, with type II diabetes, it's really a problem with your body tissues not responding to the insulin that your pancreas is producing. Losing weight can help with this if you catch it early. Oral medications also are effective and once you have shown they are working by submitting blood work during your first special issuance medical, you can get renewals from your AME in the office as long as things don't change.

AOPA has good info on this on their web site, and there are lots of new and effective treatments coming out - the "epidemic" of type II diabetes is causing a greater investment in research, and the results benefit Type I patients as well. I fully expect that in the next 15 years we'll see diabetes treated like a cardiac event is now - a medical "fix", a bunch of tests to prove to the Air Surgeon that the fix works, and annual re-evaluation done by your AME.

Best wishes,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back