Diabetes

rubber314chicken

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rubber314chicken
Hey all, I'm finally at a point where I'm going to be able to get my pilot's license, and I have a few questions about getting my medical, namely with getting my diabetes through it. I know that all the numbers I've had recently have been good, and for those who know the numbers My last two A1C's were a 7.0 and a 6.9

Anyways, From what I understand these are good and along with a doctor's letter, an eye doctor's letter and some other stuff I should be able to get my class 3 medical. What I'm wondering is how I would go about getting all this paperwork in order for the AME? I'm going to be training this summer, and the less red tape I'm caught up in the better because that'll leave more of my rather limited time available for flying.

So basically, what exactly would I need to do before I visit the AME to make the process as smooth as possible. Also, when should I do this in the process of training. I know I need my medical before my solo and that the CFI will be able to give me more detailed info as that date approaches, but when would that (approximatly) be?

edit- I forgot to mention as well, Type I on a pump

Last edited:
I'd suggest contacting Dr. Bruce (who I'm sure will chime in here before long) and using his services to help you with getting your medical squared away. Whatever he says, do it.

Dr Bruce will sooner or later be along with details (or search the medical forum for diabetes and you may find everything you need). Bottom line is that if your diabetes is well controlled, and you don't have any vascular or neurological damage that would interfere with your ability to act as a pilot, you CAN get a medical certificate.

Like Tim said, it is no big deal, I have a friend that holds a Commercial Helicopter Rating and is a diabetic with the insulin pump. He holds a 3rd class medical and is a CFI working for a major helicopter company as a test pilot.

The diabetes special issuance is one of the easier ones to get, as long as
1) you have have all of the necessary documentation the FAA wants and
2) you have an AME who is a pilot and who is willing to really help you in getting the certificate. Best if the AME has FAA medical certification as a primary practice versus an add-on.

If you go visit the AOPA Forums, and do a search on the name handle's "AggieMike88", and "ComanchePilot" in the Medical Matters forums, you should find quite a bit of good info on Diabetes Type 2, Pill controlled, and what is needed to obtain your Class 3 medical certificate in quick order.

With Dr. Bruce Chien's guidance, I was able to get everything required and organized before I went and saw my AME, Dr. Gabriel Fried, for the first time. Dr. Bruce's information was of such good quality, that I got a real compliment from Dr. Fried on having everything he wanted and in the format he needed, making his job simple. Dr. Fried said that too many pilots bring things in in the wrong format or missing key elements that prevents him from approving the medical and causing the pilot lost time and more money to do something they should have done to start with.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a private message and I will help where I can.

--Mike

PS about using Dr. Bruce -- If possible, travelling to Peoria to see Dr. Bruce is always an excellent idea. He is well known (and well thought of) for taking the additional steps needed to obtain certification approval while your in his office. :thumbsup:

Too many other AME's will review your info, conduct the exam, admit that everything meets the standard, but then not issue in-office and just send it off to OKC as a deferral. They have the authority to call in, speak to the right person on your behalf, explain that everything is in order, and ask for authority to issue. Unfortunately very few will.

As we are all hinting, we have a true treasure in Dr. Bruce for helping us with navigating the treachorous waters that are CAMI/AMCD. If your case warrants, it's worth the expense to make the pilgrimage.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that if your diabetes is well controlled, and you don't have any vascular or neurological damage that would interfere with your ability to act as a pilot, you CAN get a medical certificate.

Standard is:
Well controlled (A1c below 7.0 is a slam dunk, 7.1-8.0 is cautious, 8.1-9 is iffy)

No damage to:
eyes,
heart/cardio,
neruo (brain/nerves, especially peripheral nerves),
and nephro (kindeys)

PS about using Dr. Bruce -- If possible, travelling to Peoria to see Dr. Bruce is always an excellent idea. He is well known (and well thought of) for taking the additional steps needed to obtain certification approval while your in his office. :thumbsup:

Too many other AME's will review your info, conduct the exam, admit that everything meets the standard, but then not issue in-office and just send it off to OKC as a deferral. They have the authority to call in, speak to the right person on your behalf, explain that everything is in order, and ask for authority to issue. Unfortunately very few will.

As we are all hinting, we have a true treasure in Dr. Bruce for helping us with navigating the treachorous waters that are CAMI/AMCD. If your case warrants, it's worth the expense to make the pilgrimage.
I'll wholeheartedly agree with this! I was there as Dr. Bruce called everyone up to and including Dr. Silberlman himself to get my medical approved. Unfortunately, it was a Friday during the lunch hour, and no one was available. Dr. Bruce went ahead and issued the time-limited medical he knew they would instruct him to issue, even though he couldn't get the formal okay for it. When they finally called back (while we were out to lunch), they legitimatized his assessment. It was well worth the money and the trip! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back