Diabetes

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I have a family history of Type 2 diabetes (mother and several aunts and uncles).

Over the past few years, my own blood sugar and A1C levels have begun to rise into levels suggesting early diabetes. My A1C level six months ago was 7, but dropped to 5 more recently after some dietary modifications. My FBS had been around 115, but now is usually around 90 - 95. Postprandial used to be around 180, but now is usually in the 120 - 140 range. I've never had a urinalysis come up positive for glucose.

Basically, the changes I made have been to space my meals out better (I was notorious for skipping breakfast, and sometimes lunch), and to avoid refined sugars, starchy foods, white bread and other refined grains, and most alcoholic beverages. (The exception is red wine, which actually seems to help stabilize my blood sugar when I have it with a meal; so I have a single glass with dinner most evenings.)

I had been checking my glucose levels daily, but now that they seem to have settled back into normal range, my doc suggested I check only weekly.

My question is basically about the significance of the numbers as they relate to flying. I fly SP and my doc has no issue with it, as everything seems to be under control.

But I've never had any noticeable symptoms when my numbers were high. The pre-diabetes was picked up on my DOT physical; but my doc considered the levels low enough that he signed me off pending dietary changes and follow up. But my point is that I can't trust a suggestive "how do I feel" because I didn't feel any different when the numbers were high.

So basically, what I'm asking is should I check my blood sugar before I fly, and are there some numbers above or below which I shouldn't fly, regardless of how I feel? Or should I just continue the weekly testing and the quarterly A1Cs and not worry about it as long as my levels are where they should be?

I probably should mention that I had pancreatitis due to a longstanding gall bladder problem a few years ago before I had my gall bladder removed. My gastroenterologist told me the pancreas can take years to heal. I don't know if this has any bearing here, but I guess I should mention it.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, if your HbA1c's continue to be in the 6.0 range, I would just continue to do as you are doing. That's about as good as folks can get it (5.8 is "normal) and I'd just live life normally. That also in the eyes of the FAA is "Diabetes controlled by diet and exercise" and is not a special issuance for Class 1-2-3 operations.

Rich... sounds like you "broke the code" and did the right thing early on. Good on ya.

And Doc agrees with you. My wife was diagnosed with Type II, two years ago. She changed her diet.. which in turn affected my diet.. dropped 15-20 pounds. She takes oral meds, and has to watch for low blood sugar if she overexerts or stresses about somthing. But high is not the issue now.

She doesn't fly.. I do.. but with her changing what is in the house to eat and what/how we eat.. I'll be flying a bit longer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back