DH-114 Riley Conversion

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
I was looking up Riley conversions just now and came across this really beautiful creation.

There used to be a Dove sitting in the boneyard at VNY in the 70's, but I've never seen a Heron, much less one with the Riley conversion. What a treat.

In the pantheon of British design it may not be on par with a '67 E-Type convertible, but compared to this British effort the DH-114 is gorgeous :D

nimrod460x276.jpg

Friend of mine owned a Heron a few years back, but with the original engines, I believe. Here's a shot of the cockpit.
heron.jpg

Notice how low to the ground it is, compared to your typical four-engined airliner.

Ron Wanttaja

> but compared to this British effort . . .

Camped at Findhorn those Nimrods would come in right over my head, dark, ominous-looking planes against the backdrop of gray Scotland sky. The Nimrods look like they have Comet genes and if so, the same fellow who designed the Dove and the Heron also designed the Comet which evolved into the Nimrod. I think I read today he also designed the Mosquito . . . need to get back into Wikipedia . . .

Had a friend who flew the Dove and remember him commenting on it having air brakes? Something about the ground steering was unique as well I recall him saying. These non-generic, non-Tupperware aircraft are truly interesting.

I expect the Nimrods were very effective in their military purpose. But just like their cars, the Brits designed and built some of the most elegant and some of the most butt ugly airplanes ever. Who but the Brits would have ever built a warplane as elegant as a Spitfire or Mossie? One to admire from de Havilland, a DH88 currently in the Shuttleworth collection:

1280px-De_Havilland_DH88_Comet.jpg

Last edited:
I expect the Nimrods were very effective in their military purpose. But just like their cars, the Brits designed and built some of the most elegant and some of the most butt ugly airplanes ever. Who but the Brits would have ever built a warplane as elegant as a Spitfire or Mossie? One to admire from de Havilland, a DH88 currently in the Shuttleworth collection:

1280px-De_Havilland_DH88_Comet.jpg
Took these at Merced 2005 or 6Pic027.JPG Pic065.jpg Pic070.jpg

That eBay Heron doesn't have a reserve - unless the reserve pops up only after a bid is made. That's a treasure for somebody . . .

Back