DFW People, Need your Input

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Hey DFW-area people,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the powers-that-be at the museum to allow me to bring the raffle plane all the way to Gaston's next weekend, but instead I'll be taking it to Gainesville, TX for the Antique Airplane Association Fly-In. I'm heading up to KGLE on Friday, 6/12 and will be there for Saturday, 6/13 as well.

Here's the kicker... my better half was planning a trip to visit her best friend in Frisco that weekend too, and I got permission to take her along with me. So, this is where your input comes in. Her best friend works close to KDAL, so that would be the preferred airport to pick her up at. Is there any FBO there that either does not have a ramp fee or is at least reasonably affordable? Are there Landing Fees at KDAL? Is there a nearby alternative where I could drop her off at no charge?

So here's the other side of the equation - the fly-in ends on Saturday, so I'll need a hangar space to store the plane on Saturday night near Frisco so that we can return on Sunday. It appears that KTKI or T31 would be the closest places. Does anyone here have hangar space where a 172 can be stored on the night of Saturday, June 13? Does anyone here know of a place that would be willing to donate hangar space for the night to a non-profit organization?

I appreciate anyone's help.

PJ: I'm at Addison to the north of Love. As close as I am, I just don't keep up with Love much because it's expensive and busy.

As you probably know, DAL is in Class B. That being said, not as bad as many, but it does have commercial service; so, you will have the TSA stuff to deal with.

There are several FBOs, cheapest fuel seems to be 6.00 a gallon. Why don't you check AirNav and ask your questions. I've used Jet Aviation in the past, but they weren't the cheapest or GA oriented. Had other reasons to be there.

Vitesse has the lowest reported fuel price at $6.00. GA is off the north side of the runways; that would be left side when landing 13 which is most common.

It will be difficult to find any deals there unless a board member can get you one.

As with any metro area, the closer in airports are more expensive. Even McKinney is fairly expensive. Gaineville will be reasonable. As will Sherman up north.

If your wife's friend is in Frisco, Aero Country wouldn't be bad and is an uncontrolled field with no fees to use. F69 is just north of Addision (KADS) and is also an uncontrolled field under the Class B veil. No fees or services there.

Have a great trip.

Best,

Dave

Dave gave good advice here, as usual. I've landed at Love, no fees... I used Regal, I think, but they are no longer there... Landmark Aviation is probably your best bet; they and Signature are on the NE side (left exit off 13L). Easy for your peeps to get to, as well, with main street access off Lemmon Avenue (funny street name for a place that is also "auto row", eh?).

If your wife's friend doesn't mind a short journey south down I35E and Hwy 67, I'd add Dallas Executive (previously known as "Redbird") to my list of considerations. Very GA friendly, big runways, not too busy, tower controlled, instrument approaches, etc. You'll also get out of there and headed south faster than out of Love, mixing it up with all that Southwest and small jet traffic.

Sorry I can't help on the hangar issue. Redbird would be a great place to try to get some space, though, if you're going to stage yourself south--there are some big hangars on the field. Just call some of the GA maintenance shops there... the Piper dealer might not be the best one to call since you're flying a Cessna, though they are nice folks too. :)

If you're planning on overnighting in Gainesville, check there too. It wasn't clear to me where you were overnighting.

And, please tell me more about this flyin! [EDIT: I see you've posted a link] I hadn't heard about it, and might try to get up and see you and the plane, and MAYBE buy a raffle ticket. [EDIT: Oh, it's Gaston's weekend? I thought it was THIS weekend]

Thanks for the advice fellas. Dallas Exec will probably be out of the equation because it is too far out of the way for her friend to drive... it's the opposite direction of their house. I think for the drop-off, I'm pretty much limited to KDAL or maybe KADS. I have no problems mixing it up with the big boys at a class B - we keep the plane based at KHOU and I have flown it into KIAH ;-). I probably won't be buying gas at the drop-off location, I'm just looking to avoid an outrageous ramp fee for the 15 mins that I'm there. < $30 is what I would consider acceptable, considering it is a Class B.

On Friday 6/12 I'll be overnighting at KGLE, with lots of others. Not sure if I'll camp or hotel. I'm leaning towards camp at the moment, I think it'll be more fun. Saturday 6/13 I'll need to overnight the plane at an airport near Frisco so they don't have to drive too far to come get me and then bring Heather and I to the plane on Sunday.

Troy, I won't be there, but if you want to come check out the plane it will be at the pancake breakfast at Waxahachie (KJWY) from 8a-11a this Saturday (our other pilot is taking it). Check out the plane and support the local CAP squadron!

What kind of airplane will you be flying? I'm planning to be at Gaston's, you can use my hangar at ADS if it will fit.

1. At DAL, there are a raft of FBOs, I have used Business Jet a couple of times (both times when the runway at ADS was closed unexpectedly), and they have been very accommodating;; never charged me a ramp fee and even though their clientele are big-jet folks, they act like you matter. A Class act. Call them on the phone, before hand, I bet they invite you to use their facility. Tell them you're w/ the museum, might help.

I also have experience with JetDirect (used to be Regal, they're still there, just new name), an dthey're nice. But, if you're sending someone who's not familiar, Business Jet would be the way to go, easy in and easy out.

In addition, Business Jet's on the east sie, right next to 13L/31R, and this is the GA side; Love controllers are completely friendly and helpful, no worries there.

I hangar a row over from Wayne, was going to offer my hangar since I'll be at Gaston's, then asked myself: where will the car go? I guess, I park it over to the side, a 172 will push in, wings over he car roof... next question, do I have room for the car in the "shallow" part of the hangar?

Wayne, where does your car go when you fly away?

Idea: since you're w/ the museum, call up Cavanaugh, they might offer you hangarage as a "Between Us Museum Folk" courtesy.

PJ, feel free to call me.

What kind of airplane will you be flying? I'm planning to be at Gaston's, you can use my hangar at ADS if it will fit.

I'll be flying this beautiful machine, which can belong to anyone here if they purchase the winning ticket! DM me for details! (Sorry, couldn't help the shameless plug.)

DSC03661.JPG

Thank you for your offer, I may take you up on that.

1. At DAL, there are a raft of FBOs, I have used Business Jet a couple of times (both times when the runway at ADS was closed unexpectedly), and they have been very accommodating;; never charged me a ramp fee and even though their clientele are big-jet folks, they act like you matter. A Class act. Call them on the phone, before hand, I bet they invite you to use their facility. Tell them you're w/ the museum, might help.

I also have experience with JetDirect (used to be Regal, they're still there, just new name), an dthey're nice. But, if you're sending someone who's not familiar, Business Jet would be the way to go, easy in and easy out.

In addition, Business Jet's on the east sie, right next to 13L/31R, and this is the GA side; Love controllers are completely friendly and helpful, no worries there.

I hangar a row over from Wayne, was going to offer my hangar since I'll be at Gaston's, then asked myself: where will the car go? I guess, I park it over to the side, a 172 will push in, wings over he car roof... next question, do I have room for the car in the "shallow" part of the hangar?

Idea: since you're w/ the museum, call up Cavanaugh, they might offer you hangarage as a "Between Us Museum Folk" courtesy.

Spike, thank you also for your hangar offer. Since this is an older 172 and it sits up a bit higher than the newer ones, there should be no problem fitting your car under the wing, unless you have a truck or SUV. Great suggestion on Cavanaugh, too! I'll probably contact them first since both you and Wayne will be gone - Cavanaugh might provide easier access and I'm sure that we'd extend the same courtesy to them if they brought a plane to HOU.

Also, thanks for the FBO suggestion, I called Business Jet and they quoted me a $25 facility fee, which can be waived with a 10-gal fuel purchase. Since the self-serve price at GLE is $3.40/gal, I can buy 10 gallons there, pay the ramp fee, and still save a few bucks over buying 10 gallons at KDAL.

Right now, we're still debating on whether she's going to fly with me or just take her originally-planned flights on SWA. I know which I'd prefer, but we're coming up with some extra logistical challenges with my plan. For one, her friend can't pick her up from DAL until after 2:30-3:00p, and I would really like to be at GLE by that time. Which means that she'll have to sit at the airport for a couple of hours after I drop her off. Two, right now her flight doesn't leave until about 2:00p, so she was only going to take a half-day off work. If she went with me, she'd have to take the full day just to sit at the airport for a couple of hours, which really isn't her thing. Three, it means an extra trip her friends would have to make to ADS on Saturday night to come pick me up.

Do any of you guys have this much trouble proving to your wives that traveling by GA is a better alternative? Other than the whole security thing, I'm running out of arguments that my way is better in this instance.

In the parking spot by the whiz. I assume if he's smart enough to put the airplane in the hangar he's smart enough to move the car first. For one night, that shouldn't be a problem. Nobody would steal it anyway, and Okie's don't have anything of value to leave in their car, so I'm safe on all counts.

Well, the better half just found out that she has some mandatory morning meetings to attend that day, so she is just going to go with Plan A and take the SWA flight that afternoon. So, I'll be heading directly to KGLE on Friday, camping overnight, and heading back to KHOU on Saturday. If any of you are in the area, come see me and check out the plane one of those days! It might be fun for a quick stop on your way to Gastons!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll mentally file it away for whenever I get to fly to the area again in the future.

Back