Dfw Hangar Airport Recommendations

Display Name

Display name:
Don M. Jones
Suppose a person is relocating to Dallas-Ft. Worth. What advice can you give in regards to hangar space (ga/single) availability and affordability, particularly if living in the Flower Mound area.

Thanks,

FB

I know there are some hangars available at KADS but you will pay $400-$500 based on what size you need. There are some t-hangars too and they go for $275 or so. Another option would be KTKI but you will be 40 minutes from your airplane. The hangars are nice and I think they charge $350.

KADS is a very nice busy airport with all the amenities you could ask for. Good Luck moving to Dallas! It's a great city to live in and not near as hard to fly in and out of as you might think.

Bill D.

Suppose a person is relocating to Dallas-Ft. Worth. What advice can you give in regards to hangar space (ga/single) availability and affordability, particularly if living in the Flower Mound area.

Thanks,

FB

Availability is good. I am at KADS at Atlantic I pay $500. They give me a discount on fuel, pull my bird in and out, car goes in/out of the hangar, tug it back and forth to maintenance, and take really good care of me.

I have looked at going to KTKI, hangar prices were the same although you can get a little better price on fuel. I also like the Cutter operation, last I checked they had good availability.

I live in Coppell and KTKI used to be a hard drive, not anymore since they finished 121. I would say it is further, but the same drive time.

I own a hangar at a small airport Southwest of Grapevine, but I just prefer to operate out of an airport with a tower, number of approaches, etc.

What about Hicks?

I own a hangar there, yet I pay to hangar somewhere else?

For renters the prices are not as low as you would think, but cheaper than Addison or McKinney by a $150-200. No approaches. Other things that may or may not be an issue.

From Flower Mound you might consider Northwest Regional or KDTO. Of course the best kept secret in the Metroplex is Redbird (KRBD) aka Dallas Executive. There is one 44' T hangar available right now with Jet Center. RBD has the cheapest fuel in the Metro and the two FBOs are home runs. Jet Center rent is a little higher than Ambassador but they are level concrete floors with no bump in and out and the doors are hydraulic. Of course they both push/pull your airplane when you need it. Both KDTO & KRBD have an ILS and until the end of March are both class D. The KRBD tower is on the chop list but KDTO is not.

I do not have a dog in this hunt (no money involved), but fly out of Northwest Regional and DTO. Both are good. PM me if you want to ask me or if I can give you any pointers. I live 10 minutes from each in Argyle.

Contact Business Air at KDTO. The club I am with rents there and we have adjoining (side by side) T-hangars with concrete floor and power. I don't know the price exactly, but it's comparable to slightly better than in the regional market.

Gettting to DTO from Flower Mound is easy going up hwy 377.

KDTO is a nice towered airport, 7000x150 runway, good controllers, good services, occasionally leads the cheep fuel race. One busy flight academy teaching a small army of asian students...

NW Regional (52F) has lots of available hanger space. Is closer to Flower Mound. 3500x40 runway. Lots of good folk on the field, diner on the field.

If you're in the area, let us know and we'll meet you for a meal or drinks.

Like the AG said, for Flower Mound, you'll find either DTO or 52F (Northwest Regional) to be reasonably convenient (52F, in particular). Funky little field, but I like it.

Curious what you meant by the KRBD tower is on the chop list?

The list of ATCTs scheduled to be shut down under federal budget sequestration.

Rockwall is a cheap place..not sure where flower mound is though....

The list of ATCTs scheduled to be shut down under federal budget sequestration.
The official rumor, from the fuel truck driver the other night, is that the city of Dallas is going to fund the tower to keep it open. Supposedly, all the planned expansion at RBD is driving this. Stay tuned...

Where is there an airport southwest of Grapevine?

I was refering to Hick's T67. I was generalizing with the area because I don't think its much of an airport and I didn't plan to be specific. Oh well, too late for that.

I was refering to Hick's T67. I was generalizing with the area because I don't think its much of an airport and I didn't plan to be specific. Oh well, too late for that.

Hicks T67 is a hardcore fly-in/live-in airport. The folks I know there are true aviators and I love being around them all. They live and breathe aviation. It's a wild west motley collection of aviation gypsies. There's a similar crowd at Northwest Regional but not as hardcore. The pioneering spirit of general aviation is alive and well in places like Hicks.

Hicks T67 is a hardcore fly-in/live-in airport. The folks I know there are true aviators and I love being around them all. They live and breathe aviation. It's a wild west motley collection of aviation gypsies. There's a similar crowd at Northwest Regional but not as hardcore. The pioneering spirit of general aviation is alive and well in places like Hicks.

I agree about the wild west, we have the safety record to match. We hear some interesting arguments there. One guy claims the only way to set his fuel pressure accurately is to make low passes at over 250 knots in his SX 300.

...the city of Dallas is going to fund the tower to keep it open...

I just heard the same as well. If the Fed does pull the budget, Dallas is going to step in. I guess we will see.

What are the drawbacks with a T-hangar? I am thinking you have to pull in or out the plane yourself but not sure what else. It's still out of the elements. Thanks.

What are the drawbacks with a T-hangar? I am thinking you have to pull in or out the plane yourself but not sure what else. It's still out of the elements. Thanks.

First post.....

Welcome to POA...

:cheers::cheers:..

As for your question.... I don't want anyone touching my plane, so I pull it out and put it in myself..:yes:

Back