DFW & Austin Trip Planning

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
In a few weeks, I'll be flying from the OKC area (HSD, specifically) with my girlfriend down to the DFW area for a concert at the amphitheater inside Fair Park, then on down to Austin to visit some of our friends.

I'm still a low-time certificate holder and this will be my first time into a Class B area and the longest overall trip I've taken so far. I'm thinking my best options are RBD (Dallas Executive/Redbird) and EDC (Austin Executive).

Any "pro tips" I should consider regarding my overall trip planning/routing & execution or the airports/areas themselves?

Last edited:
Just get FF and you should have no issues getting around the airspace out here.
They will likely clear you into the bravo so be on your radio game.

Shouldn't be much different that navigating around Will Rogers area just more traffic alerts.

Piece of cake!

Use VFR Flight Following so you'll be on before you get close to the DFW Bravo. Be sure that you listen and pick up the ATIS at whichever field you choose for the Dallas area, and do so soon enough that, when you are handed off to Regional Approach (that is what the TRACON is called here), you'll be ready to say, "Regional Approach, Bugsmasher Two Three Four Alpha, five thousand five hundred, Information Delta" in your best airliner pilot voice.

Great controllers, no sweat.

As for which field, in the Dallas area, you might seriously consider Mesquite (KHQZ) - for going to Fair Park, it might actually be the easiest. Just zip in on I30, and avoid drivin' in (too much of) the 'hood. But, as far as airports go, RBD is very good.

Upon further reflection, the easiest field for access to Fair Park is Love Field (KDAL), and despite its airline ops, it is very GA friendly. I'd recommend Business Jet Center, east side, land on 13L / 31R and your taxi time is about 20 seconds. From Love to Fair Park, surface streets only, is only 15 minutes if you drive slowly. Think about that option.

As for Austin, Executive (KEDC) is awesomely amazing, my go-to place ever since they opened. Nothing wrong with Bergstrom, except the driving to get in and out is an irritant.

Have fun with it, and report back. Taking a "real" trip in a plane really validates your choice to fly, and looking down at all the slow-movers on the interstate is great fun!

Depending on where your friends live, you may want to consider Lakeway Airpark, 3R9, a great airport on the West side.

Agree on EDC in Austin. Better fuel price, service and attitude.

It's time for me to point out that the OP doesn't need to go 'into class B' at all. Squawk 1200, stay out of the wedding cake, stop at Mesquite, and leave for Austin Exec. You don't even need a comm radio if you don't want one. But - you do need a txp with mode C.

I hadn't given any prior thought to Mesquite or Love Field. Thanks! I know we will be staying overnight in a hotel either downtown or just slightly north and renting a car.

I'm definitely a fan of flight following, if I can get it, so I probably won't just be squawking 1200 regardless. I would assume that should I choose Love or RBD, I should just plan a direct, straight-line route (which takes me directly between DFW and Love) and just assume I'll be vectored every which way in the Class B once cleared into it?

As for Mesquite, I'll consider that if it has the potential to make things easier from an overall logistical standpoint on the ground.

Glad to see Austin Executive gets the thumbs up! 'd give Lakeway a look if Executive wasn't 5 minutes from my friend's house, but thanks for that suggestion. Might be a stop on another trip!

should I choose Love or RBD, I should just plan a direct, straight-line route (which takes me directly between DFW and Love) and just assume I'll be vectored every which way in the Class B once cleared into it?

You got it.
If you come in at an angle, you can even request over the top of DFW
That is a cool feeling watching the giants TO/Land beneath you.

I would choose RBD or DAL, that's going to be the fastest and easiest way to access Fair Park. Mesquite is much further away and I-30 traffic is no fun.

You got it.
If you come in at an angle, you can even request over the top of DFW
That is a cool feeling watching the giants TO/Land beneath you.

That would be cool. I just realized something. This is all happening while the State Fair is going on and would be a Friday arrival. Would that affect what airport you'd all suggest, as opposed to during a "normal" time, considering traffic and all?

I'm based at KRBD in a hangar that we rent from Jet Center of Dallas. Ambassador is also a good FBO. Dunno about FBOs at KHQZ but the airport is a nice class D on the eastern edge of the DFW bravo and if you are staying north of downtown it sounds more convenient for you than KRBD. KEDC is awesome. I fly to Austin almost every week and always use KEDC. Call ahead for an Enterprise car and ask for the crew rate. KAUS is OK but traffic to and from anywhere in Austin is a nightmare. Austin has low ceilings most mornings this time of year so watch the weather carefully if you are not instrument rated.

As long as you are on FF, you should be fine. They are not going to send you through any TFRs. I am not sure if the fair even gets one.

That would be cool. I just realized something. This is all happening while the State Fair is going on and would be a Friday arrival. Would that affect what airport you'd all suggest, as opposed to during a "normal" time, considering traffic and all?

RBD has the easiest access to a major freeway and you'll be traveling opposite commuter traffic in the afternoon.

As long as you are on FF, you should be fine. They are not going to send you through any TFRs. I am not sure if the fair even gets one.

I was speaking more in terms of road traffic/rentals, etc. I'm glad to know that, though!

I'm based at KRBD in a hangar that we rent from Jet Center of Dallas. Ambassador is also a good FBO. Dunno about FBOs at KHQZ but the airport is a nice class D on the eastern edge of the DFW bravo and if you are staying north of downtown it sounds more convenient for you than KRBD. KEDC is awesome. I fly to Austin almost every week and always use KEDC. Call ahead for an Enterprise car and ask for the crew rate. KAUS is OK but traffic to and from anywhere in Austin is a nightmare. Austin has low ceilings most mornings this time of year so watch the weather carefully if you are not instrument rated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind if we happen to stay north of downtown, which is a good possibility. I do think we will be downtown, though, if our friends we're meeting down there have their way.

Love hearing the good things about EDC. I'd be heading out that way mid-morning, so thanks for the heads-up.

Drew, if you would like to have dinner/meal with some of the ATX pilots, let us know and we can put something together.
Also, are you attending the Gundys fly-in (O38) in October? Not too far from you.

+1 on Austin Exec. I used to go into Bergstrom, but now Austin Exec is my favorite. Better rates and very GA pilot friendly.

I also fly to DFW area frequently and almost always get FF. Very friendly controllers who will vector you around to your destination.

Drew, if you would like to have dinner/meal with some of the ATX pilots, let us know and we can put something together.

Also, are you attending the Gundys fly-in (O38) in October? Not too far from you.

That would be awesome, but we'll be meeting up with friends we haven't seen in quite a long time. I have a feeling that a gathering of fellow aviators might not be possible on our timeline this time around. If that might change, I'll let you know.

And I was unaware of the Gundys fly-in. That one must have slipped by me!

Back