DFW area pilots - Oct 23?

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Folks,

I am in Plano from the 23rd through the 26th; the only flight I can get on the 23rd is a *7:00AM* flight (great way to spend a Sunday) :rolleyes:

I'll be settled in my hotel sometime around 1:00ish in the afternoon. Any DFW area folks want to get together, talk shop, eat, who knows?

Left to my own devices I may do something stupid, like try and drive down to Llano and get some Coopers.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last edited:
Man, Llano is a long way from Plano. Like 1.5 hrs on the Hobbs. And you can't get there from here by road (You have to go somewhere else and start. Like Ft Worth)

However comma I am in the Plano Phone Book, give me a call.

Andrew:

I'm at Addison to the east of D/FW. Let me see how my plans shape up. Right now, I'm committed to something, but it may change.

Dave

I may be able to fly up from San Antonio. Let's see how things shape up.

bill

astanley said:
Folks,

I am in Plano from the 23rd through the 26th; the only flight I can get on the 23rd is a *7:00AM* flight (great way to spend a Sunday) :rolleyes:

I'll be settled in my hotel sometime around 1:00ish in the afternoon. Any DFW area folks want to get together, talk shop, eat, who knows?

Left to my own devices I may do something stupid, like try and drive down to Llano and get some Coopers.

Cheers,

-Andrew

My trip was extended, I"m in town through the 27th now.

I'm up for dinner anywhere within an hours drive of Plano, I'm going to be hitting up every steak joint within striking distance (taking clients out to dinner...), so something local / authentic / really good works for me. Near an airport is even better!

What say the local pilots? I figure early evening (5-6pm) for dinner would be a good time... I can do earlier in the afternoon as well.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew, let me know. I'm as closed to Plano as one can get without being there. Lots of places near me on the Tollway or Beltline road. It would be easy for someone to fly into Addison and for us to pick 'em up.

Dave

The Old Man said:
But, I am already there! Give me a call, Andrew.

Alright boys, where to eat?

I have been given two suggestions in Plano (I am eating out a bunch of nights with clients, so most of the suggestions have been taken up)

One guy suggested Love and War in Texas, on Plano Parkway: http://www.loveandwarintexas.com/map.htm

Another guy suggested Ojedas. I have no clue where it is.

To give you an idea... most times when I'm down there I end up at hte III Forks, Del Friscos, or Fogo's. I'm sorta sick of those places, it gets old.

Any other ideas? I know so little about Dallas, I really only know the route to/from DFW and how to get to my office from the La Quinta on Plano Parkway (the nice one, not the dump down off of 676 [or is it 675?])

Cheers,

-Andrew

Is this on the 23rd? Or another day? Time?

If I fly up, can I get someone to pick me up at a nearby airport?

bill

wsuffa said:
Is this on the 23rd? Or another day? Time?

If I fly up, can I get someone to pick me up at a nearby airport?

bill

Still on the 23rd; every other day I have is booked. Time? I'm thinking mid to late afternoon, 3-6ish, thoughts guys?

Dave S and I messaged about that; wherever you are someone will be able to pick you up.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Still on the 23rd; every other day I have is booked. Time? I'm thinking mid to late afternoon, 3-6ish, thoughts guys?

Dave S and I messaged about that; wherever you are someone will be able to pick you up.

Cheers,

-Andrew

OK, mid-afternoon should work. I'll need to be back here that night. Let me see how things are shaping up around here.

Sounds like Addison is the best airport if you're doing it in/around Plano. It shouldn't be too far for a pickup.

Dave S. What's the current 'best choice' for an FBO?

wsuffa said:
OK, mid-afternoon should work. I'll need to be back here that night. Let me see how things are shaping up around here.

Sounds like Addison is the best airport if you're doing it in/around Plano. It shouldn't be too far for a pickup.

Dave S. What's the current 'best choice' for an FBO?

Bill: I'd suggest you just park in front of my hanger on the west side unless you will require FBO services. Million Air is who I use. They may have a ramp fee.

Andrew:

There are all sorts of places on Belt Line in Addison. My favorite Italian is Mi Piachi. They make their own pasta fresh each day. We could get over to the airport from there if we would like. Mexican would be Cozumel up on Park Road. The mayor of Addison has a nice Chineese place. Great Sea food on Belt line. Let me know what you guys like. My Cell is 214.632.7132 We can just pick a place or meet somewhere after Bill gets in and play it by ear.

Bill: I'd be happy to get you. You might call and we can coordiate a place for you to park and a time.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Bill: I'd suggest you just park in front of my hanger on the west side unless you will require FBO services. Million Air is who I use. They may have a ramp fee.

Andrew:

There are all sorts of places on Belt Line in Addison. My favorite Italian is Mi Piachi. They make their own pasta fresh each day. We could get over to the airport from there if we would like. Mexican would be Cozumel up on Park Road. The mayor of Addison has a nice Chineese place. Great Sea food on Belt line. Let me know what you guys like. My Cell is 214.632.7132 We can just pick a place or meet somewhere after Bill gets in and play it by ear.

Bill: I'd be happy to get you. You might call and we can coordiate a place for you to park and a time.

Dave

OK, cool. Italian is a weak spot, especially since it is close to the airport, as is good Mexican. How far is ADS from the Plano Parkway?

My cell is 508.667.1107; I'm on American 1245 (arrives 11:00AM) on the way down, out of BOS. I should be settled in my hotel room by 2:00, so any time after that works fine for me. I'll let your and Bill's schedule determine when...

Bo, what about you, what does your schedule look like?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Dave Siciliano said:

Andrew:

Dave

Sounds OK, will call tomorrow.

I may stop for fuel on the way up. Let me do some cipherin' to see what the fuel burn will look like return-wise. Looks like Burnet is $1.50/gal less than Stinson. Now to call them and see if they're open.

wsuffa said:
Sounds OK, will call tomorrow.

I may stop for fuel on the way up. Let me do some cipherin' to see what the fuel burn will look like return-wise. Looks like Burnet is $1.50/gal less than Stinson. Now to call them and see if they're open.

Bill:

Check out Lampasas (LZZ); they were $2.78 2 weeks ago when I was there, have a card-operated pump, and latest update as of yesterday shows same price.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys Sunday (if it's OK for me to drop by- I think the Restraining Order Dave got against me has lapsed....).

SCCutler said:
Bill:

Check out Lampasas (LZZ); they were $2.78 2 weeks ago when I was there, have a card-operated pump, and latest update as of yesterday shows same price.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys Sunday (if it's OK for me to drop by- I think the Restraining Order Dave got against me has lapsed....).

Spike, remember, it's only dinner until the police show up, then it is a party :cheerswine:

Hope to see you Sunday, would be nice to put the faces to the names.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Spike:

You are always welcome. Thought you knew that. Surpised and flattered you don't crave being with your Mensa counterparts rather than just us pilots and football fans!!

Dave

SCCutler said:
Bill:

Thanks, Spike, will check.

Sounds like you need a good lawyer... ;)

All,

I may be out of pocket all day long at a development function.

Those who are interested in getting together, call my cell phone (posted above) or try my email, Andrew.Stanley@ps.net . I have my blackberry on me pretty much all the time and can coordinate.

How does 3ish sound around ADS? Gives me a little time to get settled in my room and people to get morning and early afternoon obligations set.

Thoughts?

Please feel free to email or call me... I'm going to be bored to tears tomorrow anyways :rolleyes:

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'd suggest either at my hanger on the west side where we can talk planes and link up or Chillis which is almost directly off runway 15 on the south side of Beltline Road (between Addison Road and Midway). If my hanger works, call my cell as you get there so I can open the gate for you. Chillis would allow us to get something more to eat or drink whilst socializing.

We could adjust our plans appropriately from there.

If the hanger is the preference, let me know and I'll post directions.

Dave

3 PM sounds good to me. I'll aim for 3 PM, maybe a few minutes earlier. At ADS.

Spike, was the card reader working at LZZ when you went through? I'd hate to get there on a Sunday afternoon and find it not working and the airport unattended.

bill

Dave Siciliano said:
I'd suggest either at my hanger on the west side where we can talk planes and link up or Chillis which is almost directly off runway 15 on the south side of Beltline Road (between Addison Road and Midway). If my hanger works, call my cell as you get there so I can open the gate for you. Chillis would allow us to get something more to eat or drink whilst socializing.

We could adjust our plans appropriately from there.

If the hanger is the preference, let me know and I'll post directions.

Dave

Dave, assuming I can get fuel at LZZ or Burnet, I won't need fuel at Addison. If there's room by your hangar, why don't I park there. Can you let me know where it is?

thanks.

Let's meet at your hangar. Great place to talk shop and oogle before we head off to get a bite to eat.

Dave, can you email or post directions? I'll be there at 3:00, barring any flight delays.

See you all tomorrow!

Cheers,

-Andrew

http://download.aopa.org/iap/20050929/airport_diagrams/00768AD.PDF

Bottom left of the taxi chart; On the west side (left) just south to taxiway C. Notice the arrows where it says T-hangers. There are two taxiways there, mine is the first one you would come to heading south. The first large building you see is the Buce Building; turn right as you pass it and come down to the next big building you see to the west. That's my hanger.

We'll probably monitor ground so we know when you're coming.

What's your tail number again?

Dave

astanley said:
Let's meet at your hangar. Great place to talk shop and oogle before we head off to get a bite to eat.

Dave, can you email or post directions? I'll be there at 3:00, barring any flight delays.

See you all tomorrow!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Directions: From Beltline road, go to Midway Road on the west side of the airport. Turn north on Midway and pass the first light at Lindbergh. About a block farther north on Midway is Richard Byrd (right after a Mineke Muffler building). Turn right on Richard Byrd and that goes to the security gate to my hanger. Call my cell, and we'll open the gate.
If you go too far north, you see Wylie Post Boulevard--your key to do a 180. See y'all tomorrow.

Bill, if you do need fuel, we can get it at Addison at a discounted (on field rate), but it's still a lot more than where Spike suggested.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
http://download.aopa.org/iap/20050929/airport_diagrams/00768AD.PDF

Bottom left of the taxi chart; On the west side (left) just south to taxiway C. Notice the arrows where it says T-hangers. There are two taxiways there, mine is the first one you would come to heading south. The first large building you see is the Buce Building; turn right as you pass it and come down to the next big building you see to the west. That's my hanger.

We'll probably monitor ground so we know when you're coming.

What's your tail number again?

Dave

Got it, Dave.

Tail number is N112LB

wsuffa said:
3 PM sounds good to me. I'll aim for 3 PM, maybe a few minutes earlier. At ADS.

Spike, was the card reader working at LZZ when you went through? I'd hate to get there on a Sunday afternoon and find it not working and the airport unattended.

bill

Sorry for the late reply, Bill. I flew to Austin for some football (such fun!).

Yes indeed, it was working, and two thirsty A36 tanks were glad.

I believe the card reader is the only way that fuel gets sold there, as I do not believe that there is an attended FBO at all. Just the fuel pumps (they have Jet, as well), and a nice looking (from the outside) pilot lounge shack.

Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up on this via the Private Message. I will try to attend, I am on-call this weekend, so that will determine what happens. In fact, I've been on a call since 11pm to now (3:12am), so we'll see what happens.

If I'm at your hangar at 3, it means I was able to come! Look forward to meeting Spike and Bill and Andrew, and to seeing you again.

I'm out of pocket for the next 6 or so hours, so email me or drop me a call on my cell.

Dave / Bill, I'll give you a jingle if I get held up along the way.

See you all this afternoon!

Cheers,

-Andrew

OK< I'll be wheels-up here between 12 and 12:30. Stop for fuel at LZZ. Should be in between 2:30-3:00, depending on how ATC treats me.

Troy Whistman said:
I will try to attend, I am on-call this weekend, so that will determine what happens. In fact, I've been on a call since 11pm to now (3:12am), so we'll see what happens.

If I'm at your hangar at 3, it means I was able to come! Look forward to meeting Spike and Bill and Andrew, and to seeing you again.

OK, the "on-call issue" call has now lasted until... NOW. And is still going. So I don't know if I'll make it. We'll see, if it ends SOON and I can catch some ZZZ's, I might still be there, but don't wait for me. Have fun, guys. I'll have to meet some of you next time if this doesn't work out.

If the wind persists, best fun may be watching crosswind landings...

SCCutler said:
If the wind persists, best fun may be watching crosswind landings...

Highest gust by my house today has been ENE @ 31 MPH. Bill can do it! That Commander's got good gear.

What a great time. Spike, his wonderful son, Bill, Dave and myself jawed around Dave's hangar, and his partially dissassembled P-Baron (what a nice plane, Dave!). Bill came up in his wonderful Commander 112TC; I'll be honest, I didn't think they sat that high on the ramp - another beautiful plane. We also took a brief tour of a RV-10 under construction, with an open standing offer to drive rivets if I ever need something to do!

Just a great time with some great fellow pilots. Thanks for hosting me everyone, you helped my (otherwise uneventful) Sunday pass quickly!

Now, I just gotta make time for Gastons next year . . .

Cheers,

-Andrew

I had a great time.

Great to meet you Andrew, and good to see Dave and Spike again. That P-Baron is really nice.

As for the wind, I had my first rejected landing in hundreds of hours tonight landing at Stinson. I should have rejected earlier, I did so about 20-30' above the grass beside the runway.

Tower asked for a close turn to final to accomodate a couple of Navy trainers in the pattern. Winds were 23G27 at 020 for Runway 9 (70 degrees off centerline). Plane has a 20-degree demonstrated crosswind capability (with the note: This value is limiting). I've landed at or above that number before, the VG's make all the difference.

Making the base to final, higher than normal, I just couldn't get it stabalized. Called go-round, full power, avoided the stall (thank goodness for the VG's), and went around the pattern. With normal pattern and a bit higher than normal airspeed (no flaps), I was able to get the plane down. Definitely not one of my better landings. Chalk up another lesson to experience.

And here everybody was concerned about the icing potential south of Dallas....

Otherwise, it was a really good flight.

Great to see you guys. Turned a mundane Sunday afternoon into a memorable time with fun wrapped in. Bill did all the flying. Not counting riding commercial!!
Great to meet you Andrew! Lots of neat things going on in your career and flying ventures.

Didn't feel I contributed much with the head cold I had, but it kept me from watching the Cowboy's game--and it's sure good I didn't :rolleyes:

Dave

Back