DFW Area, 1st. & 3rd. Saturday Breakfast at The Red Barn KSLR

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
For those of you in the North East Texas area, or from anywhere that wants to fly to Sulphur Springs, Texas. We are trying to start a first and third Saturday of each month about 8AM or so, breakfast get together.

The Red Barn Café is directly across the road from the main terminal and you can't miss it. If I recall correctly, they take cash only, so don't rely on plastic to pay for your meal.

For the tailwheelers, KSLR has a grass strip to the West of the paved runway.

Hopefully we will have some folks fly in this Saturday morning, 8/1. I fully expect to be there, but I have an Army buddy down to the wire in hospice on morphine, so my schedule could change at any time.

Be there or be square.:)

I think I'm in. Need to get in the air, and my daughter and I were looking for somewhere to fly. Coming from Addison.

Great kj!

I am thinking that maybe if we meet up at the tiedowns near the terminal beginning around 8AM, we can wait to see how many show up and then walk to the café together so we know who the flyers are. If we try to meet up in the café, we won't know which table is the right group.

Sounds great. We'll try to be off the ground in Addison by 7:15 or so. Looking forward to it.

Since I made the comment about there being a grass strip I feel that I need to post this.

I drove up and down the 18/36 grass strip yesterday afternoon and it was rough in a golf cart. There are deep ruts across the strip at a point just South of the windsock. Probably not too rough to use, but too rough for me to enjoy it.

For this weekend, the surface being rough is a non issue since an experimental biplane burned on the North end of the grass strip about 45 minutes after my golf cart tour. There is a NOTAM closing the 18/36 grass strip. Runway 1/19 remains open as normal.

Oooohhhhhh......I I'm like 98.4% in. I haven't flown in two weeks because of working like a $2 mule so I'm in need!

Doc, if it's VFR down here in the morning, I may head that way. I was planning to meet Bo in Lufkin for lunch anyway. Looks like a chance of storms here overnight, so I'll just have to wait and see if it blows over!

Great news Jack! I hope to see you there.

Remember, the grass strip is closed. Use the paved runway 1/19.

I will be there, but as usual, nobody in this house can move on any schedule. More like 0930 hours for our arrival.

Made it here waaaaay late at 1130. Found the field will not pump 100LL. Said they have been told not to pump by ntsb due to a crash.

Note to self.....the Red Barn only takes cash!

Sorry I missed you Unit! I did not know that the fuel was unavailable until this morning. I apologize for not getting the word to you. I saw the plane that crashed fueling up just before it took off and told the investigators that, SO maybe I am partially to blame for no fuel. The word was that the plane that lost power had been having lots of engine trouble the day before, and had flown in fromelsewhereveforethat trouble, so I doubt that it is a fuel issue. SS has always been a place to get clean, dry fuel.

I enjoyed very much meeting Keith, Michelle and Mitch. I am embarrassed that I don't remember Mitch's sisters name, but I enjoyed meeting her also. Everyone seemed to be really good folks and all very pleasant to sit down to breakfast with.

I had plentyn of fuel on board, but always like to support the FBO I'm parking at.

Man it was choppy on the way home. From Texarkana to chirping the mains it was light chop mixed in with some pockets of mod turb. For about an hour. Kids were not happy at all.

I'll try to make it out another time soon. At the Red Barn I had the hot roast beef Sammich and it was tasty. I like their fries too. Kids had the chip strips and corn dog. Wife had something on top of biscuits covered in gravy. Note to self.... Bring cowboy hat or talk in a real Texan drawl next time. It was obvious that we Yankees were in the house.

KSLR was already marginalized for selling fuel. You probably didn't notice, but on the East side of the field about even with the middle of the runway, there are two fuel trucks with the cabs smashed in. Back in May or June a storm came through and broke two air tractors out out of their tiedowns and set them down on the fuel trucks. They are waiting for an insurance settlement.

They have a loaner jetA truck, but no 100LL truck yet. SO, the obvious solution for you getting fuel at KSLR, is to bring a jet next time.:)

What altitude were you flying when you experienced the turbulence?

BTW unit, remember we wil try to do this the third Saturday also.

Last edited:
KSLR was already marginalized for selling fuel. You probably didn't notice, but on the East side of the field about even with the middle of the runway, there are two fuel trucks with the cabs smashed in. Back in May or June a storm came through and broke two air tractors out out of their tiedowns and set them down on the fuel trucks. They are waiting for an insurance settlement.

They have a loaner jetA truck, but no 100LL truck yet. SO, the obvious solution for you getting fuel at KSLR, is to bring a jet next time.:)

What altitude were you flying when you experienced the turbulence?

BTW unit, remember we wil try to do this the third Saturday also.

Flew in at 4500 so the fan had a good view of the ground. Smooth a butter. Back we tried 5500, then 7500 and then 8500 just to get out of the bumps with no luck. It was like riding back in a truck with a flat tire flopping the whole time. I'm surprised there was no Airmet listed.

Third Saturday coming up!

I plan on being there, but it is possible that I will be driving. I have CAP training beginning 9AM Saturday morning, so I might not even finished breakfast given how crowded the Red Barn is Saturday mornings.

Our training is over at 3PM, so I may not want to fly the bumps back to Oklahoma at 3 in the afternoon.

Regardless, come one, come all.

Our training is over at 3PM, so I may not want to fly the bumps back to Oklahoma at 3 in the afternoon.

Regardless, come one, come all.

Makes you a better pilot....honest. I don't mind turb by myself. But with non pilot travelers I avoid it. I think it makes you more acutely aware of your machine and forces exceptional skills to the surface.

It doesn't appear that anyone is coming today. I will be at the terminal awaiting the CAP group. Maybe we can try again on the first Saturday. Maybe when it cools off, there will be more interest.

Sorry I couldn't make it today. With the 1st Saturday in September being Labor Day weekend, I doubt I'll be able to make that, as well. I will definitely shoot for 3rd Saturday next month.

My ride is in the shop for new baffles. Once the cowl was off, I also located a sheared primer line, the data plate on the locomotion fell off and was hanging by a zip tie, changed the oil and filter and got my as kicked by the shop cat.

I might be in for the next one! Probably have to drive up that way though, since I'm still working on my ticket.

I tried to make it Saturday morning, but had a car wreck on the way to the airport. Better on the ground than in the air I suppose.

I will be on vacation for the 19th. headed for the Cessna 120-140 Nationals in Tennessee. Hopefully we can pick this up again on the first Saturday in October.

Back