Devils playground video, south county terlingua

That is awesome. I have spent a good bit of time down there at Big Bend and Terlingua. Love the area.

I was riveted to that. That was incredibly beautiful. I had no idea that there were areas in Texas like that, even after living in Ft. Hood for two years.

I don't watch U-tube videos for the most part, but that...was worth watching. Good job.

That's pretty awesome! Texas also has the good ole Palo Duro... Never flown over it but camped a few nights there and tried for the "free" 72oz steak at the big Texan! Good times

Very nice... You figure that was 2 or 3 times normal speed? The Cub isn't THAT fast.

Jeanie:

Thanks for posing that - if I had my way, I'd move out your way and never leave, but my wife has other ideas.

Thanks, Jeanie. Beautiful flying video. Folks come from all over the world to see what is in your back yard.

This is so pretty.

If you (or anyone else) were to come visit, Jeanie and I might force you to sit through a sunset:

Attachments

• SunsetJune19.JPG
    SunsetJune19.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 11
.........or a moonrise:

Attachments

• MoonriseFDfall2011.JPG
    MoonriseFDfall2011.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 8
THANKS JEANIE! I enjoyed it very much.

When I was a kid my Dad moved us all over Texas while he was chasing the end of the rainbow. 12 years of public schools and 12 different schools. I lived in the same house from the time I was born through the first four days of Elementary School, then we did all the moving, then six months after I graduated High School my Mom and Dad built a house and have been there ever since.

In all this moving around Texas, I saw PLENTY of geographical or topographical shock. We lived in El Paso while I was in the sixth grade. My Mom called it "the jumping off place." I thought and still think that the desert has it's own beauty.

Lubbock is the flattest country I've ever seen, and with the most sand storms although they are not nearly so bad these days compared to the sixties.

Waco was really neat country with rich farm land but also some neat lakes and cliffs.

Killeen was a GI town, but in the mid fifties, it had a really neat small town atmosphere and was on the edge of the Texas Hill Country.

The Dallas area was the most blah of it all, but there are plenty of thngs to do in the area.

North East Texas along the Red River has more vegetation and taller trees (considerably more statistical average rainfall) than the other places, but it's flat and kind of dull.

I've been pretty much all over the state from the Guadalupe Mountains to the Gulf shores. Fort Davis (a beautiful place) is as close as I've been to the Big Bend Country. The video made me want to fly over it EXCEPT, what happens if the engine sputters?

Hi doc,
Yep, no matter what kind of terrain /vegetation etc you want you can pretty much find it in Texas... Except for huge stands of birch and Aspen with snow for months.. I think you have to go to Colorado for that :). We do have trees here though, oaks, cedar of course, pines, and madrone.
That was a lot of moving! The rainbow is an elusive thing

THANKS JEANIE! I enjoyed it very much.

When I was a kid my Dad moved us all over Texas while he was chasing the end of the rainbow. 12 years of public schools and 12 different schools. I lived in the same house from the time I was born through the first four days of Elementary School, then we did all the moving, then six months after I graduated High School my Mom and Dad built a house and have been there ever since.

And after all that, where did they finally settle? I presume they found their rainbow / paradise?

Okay. After having watched this, I can now say I hate you and am jealous.

Absolutely beautiful, in a stark way. Wish I could go back to my home town area (Tularosa, NM) and video all that. Beauty is all over this great country, and your canyons are unique.

My favorite commercial flight was in a C208 from El Paso to Carlsbad, NM. It was beautiful! I am from Kansas but lived all over as a kid and I love the SW. My wife is from Carlsbad, NM and really has no desire to live there again. :D

Carlsbad gets really HOT in the summer! Alpine doesn't.....

I hear that :D. We may end up living in Midland, I guess she got a call from someone in the area that really wants her to come work for them. I need to see if there is something for me lol. It looked like the economy was doing ok when we were down two weeks ago.

Well if you do decide to head this way, let me know

I hear that :D. We may end up living in Midland, I guess she got a call from someone in the area that really wants her to come work for them. I need to see if there is something for me lol. It looked like the economy was doing ok when we were down two weeks ago.

Think you could Roughneck? If so, you could probably get a job there.

No I was not, Troy. And down low would be a bad time to have a tank run dry!

The Midland area is booming, at night the fields are ablaze with drilling rig lights. Hard to get a rent car and you don't wait til the night before to get a hotel room.

Back