Determining ICAO equipment codes

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone know of a resource that helps me figure out the ICAO equipment codes for our aircraft and explains it like I'm a Texas Aggie in third grade?

A few of them are simple to determine, but the remainder, I'm not sure how to take what they know and apply it to our equipment.

So any simple to understand reference is appreciated.

Or for those who are conversant in ICAO, and can figure it out for us, we have

1975 C182P, N55WB

Transponder: GTX327
Com1/Nav1: CNX80 (IFR certified)
Com2/Nav2: KX155, with glideslope equipped CDI
ADSB: In only via Stratus 2 (out solution still being determined)

1966 Bonanza V35, N149G

Transponder: GTX327
Com1/Nav1: GTN750
Com2/Nav2: KX155, with glideslope equipped CDI
ADSB: In only via Stratus 2 (out solution still being determined)
Aspen PFD​

Photos of the aircraft are available at www.metroflyersclub.com

I would code both of your aircraft as: S,G for ICAO equipment and C for ICAO surveillance. You can add B if you want, but it will not make a difference. If you want to be assigned RNAV SIDs or RNAV STARs (they have to have RNAV in the title) you can update your capabilities to add R and PBN code of D2.

So if you use my simple method, file SG or SBG. Adding RNAV SIDs and STARs,
file SBGR and set your PBN code to D2.

John can you discuss the various ADS-B codes?

If I have a 1090ES transponder that sends altitude and identity and extended squitter, which code is that? I have E right now, but all FF says is "squitter" not "extended squitter"

E - Mode S, ID, Alt, Squitter
H - Mode S, ID, Alt, Enhanced Surv
L - Mode S, ID, Alt, Squitter + Enh Surv

Then there's also the question of B1 (ADS-B, Dedicated 1090 out, vs B2, Dedicated 1090 Out+In). Pretty sure I'm B1 since I have ADS-B out but the "in" part is only on Foreflight via my Stratus. Not sure that would be B2.

Dios mio. I have at various times looked at the official docs related to the ICAO fpl form, thinking "this time I'm going to figure it out once and for all!" yet every time I end up :mad2::mad2::confused::mad2::mad2::drink::drink: :blowingkisses:

John can you discuss the various ADS-B codes?

If I have a 1090ES transponder that sends altitude and identity and extended squitter, which code is that? I have E right now, but all FF says is "squitter" not "extended squitter"

E - Mode S, ID, Alt, Squitter
H - Mode S, ID, Alt, Enhanced Surv
L - Mode S, ID, Alt, Squitter + Enh Surv

Then there's also the question of B1 (ADS-B, Dedicated 1090 out, vs B2, Dedicated 1090 Out+In). Pretty sure I'm B1 since I have ADS-B out but the "in" part is only on Foreflight via my Stratus. Not sure that would be B2.

Dios mio. I have at various times looked at the official docs related to the ICAO fpl form, thinking "this time I'm going to figure it out once and for all!" yet every time I end up :mad2::mad2::confused::mad2::mad2::drink::drink: :blowingkisses:

I would set your ICAO Surveillance codes to: EB1 to be the most accurate. It really won't make a difference if you were to use SB1. Your transponder may support the Enhanced Surveillance, but I seriously doubt if you have the needed digital data to feed that, such as selected altitude, heading, etc.

I would set your ICAO Surveillance codes to: EB1 to be the most accurate. It really won't make a difference if you were to use SB1. Your transponder may support the Enhanced Surveillance, but I seriously doubt if you have the needed digital data to feed that, such as selected altitude, heading, etc.

Thanks for that.

So my understanding based on your reply is that "Enhanced Surveillance" is not the same thing as the "ES" as in "1090ES".

The "ES" in "1090ES" means "extended squitter," which is denoted simply as "squitter" in the foreflight equipment list.

Is that close to correct? :D

How about PBN codes? What should I/we put there?

FWIW, I have a GTN 750 navigator.

If you take a look at John's recommendations in the ForeFlight blog, he simply leaves them out. The idea is to put in the minimum that is required to have a valid plan that won't get kicked back and will get you the ATC services you need. Essentially mirroring the "traditional" flight plan.

The only PBN code that makes a difference is D2. If you specify the R in the equipment field and D2 in ICAO PBN, then you gain access to RNAV SIDs and RNAV STARs. These are the procedures that have RNAV in the title and require RNAV 1 specification. It is one of the few extras that you get with an ICAO flightplan that is not available with the domestic form.

Thanks for that.

So my understanding based on your reply is that "Enhanced Surveillance" is not the same thing as the "ES" as in "1090ES".

The "ES" in "1090ES" means "extended squitter," which is denoted simply as "squitter" in the foreflight equipment list.

Is that close to correct? :D

Correct.

The only PBN code that makes a difference is D2. If you specify the R in the equipment field and D2 in ICAO PBN, then you gain access to RNAV SIDs and RNAV STARs. These are the procedures that have RNAV in the title and require RNAV 1 specification. It is one of the few extras that you get with an ICAO flightplan that is not available with the domestic form.

A quick trip over to the FAA makes is sound like PBN is going to be moot for most non-commercial operators. To receive PBN DPs and STARs you have to have an OPSPEC, MSPEC, or LOA. I don't and won't. So although the GTN 750 is good for RNAV 1 or whatever, I won't be able to put in the "R" for PBN Approved.

Correct-ish?

A quick trip over to the FAA makes is sound like PBN is going to be moot for most non-commercial operators. To receive PBN DPs and STARs you have to have an OPSPEC, MSPEC, or LOA. I don't and won't. So although the GTN 750 is good for RNAV 1 or whatever, I won't be able to put in the "R" for PBN Approved.

Correct-ish?

No.

Part 91 operators other than subpart k do not need an opspec. AC 90-100A and the relevant GPS systems such as your GTN qualify for this without any specific FAA operator authorization. The GNS430/530 and G1000 non WAAS GPS qualify to fly these procedures as does any WAAS GPS. Other GPS systems such as KLN90B, KLN89B, KLN94, Garmin GTX155, GNC300/XL and similar vintage systems don't qualify.

Over time, more and more SIDs and STARs will be RNAV 1 and most graphical RNAV ODP require RNAV 1. If you don't need or want to specify this, then you will not have them assigned. It is one of the few extras you get if you file ICAO that you can't do filing domestic. I recommend adding the three or so extra keystrokes and specify R for ICAO equipment and D2 for PBN. It is a one time deal, no biggie.

John... I got around to reading your FF blog last night.

Well done and thanks for doing that. I got my aircraft profiles updated. Hopefully I did it correctly.

No.

Part 91 operators other than subpart k do not need an opspec. AC 90-100A and the relevant GPS systems such as your GTN qualify for this without any specific FAA operator authorization. The GNS430/530 and G1000 non WAAS GPS qualify to fly these procedures as does any WAAS GPS. Other GPS systems such as KLN90B, KLN89B, KLN94, Garmin GTX155, GNC300/XL and similar vintage systems don't qualify.

Over time, more and more SIDs and STARs will be RNAV 1 and most graphical RNAV ODP require RNAV 1. If you don't need or want to specify this, then you will not have them assigned. It is one of the few extras you get if you file ICAO that you can't do filing domestic. I recommend adding the three or so extra keystrokes and specify R for ICAO equipment and D2 for PBN. It is a one time deal, no biggie.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. Thanks to your write-up on the FF blog and this thread I now have my ICAO aircraft profile complete. :happydance:

:cheers:

I can understand how an entry of D2 for the PBN value covers all the lower precision options and shows that the aircraft's equipment qualifies for RNAV SIDs and STARs.

But what if one would rather not be assigned SIDs and STARs, but would like to take advantage of RNAV enroute (such as T-routes). As I read them, the FAA ICAO quick guide:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or..._plan_filing/media/FPL_Brochure_(change3).pdf

and the fltplan.com ICAO help instructions both call for using the R along with a PBN code of C2 to qualify for RNAV enroute. I presume that without the D2 one would not be assigned SIDs and STARs. Does this make sense?

Are T-routes likely to be assigned without the R and either C2 or D2?

I can understand how an entry of D2 for the PBN value covers all the lower precision options and shows that the aircraft's equipment qualifies for RNAV SIDs and STARs.

But what if one would rather not be assigned SIDs and STARs, but would like to take advantage of RNAV enroute (such as T-routes). As I read them, the FAA ICAO quick guide:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or..._plan_filing/media/FPL_Brochure_(change3).pdf

and the fltplan.com ICAO help instructions both call for using the R along with a PBN code of C2 to qualify for RNAV enroute. I presume that without the D2 one would not be assigned SIDs and STARs. Does this make sense?

Are T-routes likely to be assigned without the R and either C2 or D2?

To get T or Q routes, all that is needed is to specify G in the ICAO equipment. If a PBN code was required, C2 would be the correct code. You can file with or without the C2, so it makes no difference. I prefer using codes that matter.

If you want an RNAV SID or STAR, then you must use D2. Actually, there is an old obsolete way of doing this that still works, but I don't recommend it, that is to file with a Z and use NAV/RNVD1E2A1. R and D2 is much easier to type.

Back