Determine value (if any exists) for aviation items no longer needed

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
Our club has recently gone through a few upgrades and I'm wondering if there's a good way to find out whether items we've removed have any value (and if so, what that value might be). How can I determine market value of items that don't sell very often (so it's hard to find comparables)?

Specifically, I'm trying to determine whether it's worth trying to sell a Garmin 496 (panel upgrade makes the portable no longer necessary) and an exhaust for a Cessna 172N (replaced with Power Flow).

I was able to find some 496 sales on ebay but... I can't say I've ever seen an aircraft exhaust system listed there (and can't find any now). The real question/issue is that if the exhaust system would sell (or salvage, recycle, etc) for $100 we'll just keep it as a backup. If there's some actual value to it, we'd probably sell it. I just don't know how to determine that without listing it on ebay first. If that's really the best solution, though...

the 496 is completely useless and holds no value whatsoever. in fact it's probably a danger to your family just by having it in your hangar. I'm still waiting for 6er to send me his old one, you know, because I don't want to see his family in jeopardy by having one of those stoopid, stoopid things.

the 496 is completely useless and holds no value whatsoever. in fact it's probably a danger to your family just by having it in your hangar. I'm still waiting for 6er to send me his old one, you know, because I don't want to see his family in jeopardy by having one of those stoopid, stoopid things.

Hahaha. Thank you so much for the information, I had no idea! Please send me your address, full name, social security number and mother's maiden name so I can get this shipped out to you ASAP. ;)

I was able to find some 496 sales on ebay but... I can't say I've ever seen an aircraft exhaust system listed there (and can't find any now). The real question/issue is that if the exhaust system would sell (or salvage, recycle, etc) for $100 we'll just keep it as a backup. If there's some actual value to it, we'd probably sell it. I just don't know how to determine that without listing it on ebay first. If that's really the best solution, though...
List it on eBay with a starting price of $101.

Back