Destin, FL July 10-15

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
Hey Florida people.
I have a trip to Destin on these dates and would love to meet up with anyone interested in chatting about airplanes or flying or really pretty much anything.

I also welcome suggestions for things I can do there on a budget. Although if it's really awesome like deep sea fishing, my budget might make it worth it.
Or can someone recommend a scuba certification training center.

Thanks!
Allen

Those are some great beaches, P'cola towards Destin. The low budget option is to make to the beach and check things out.

The Jack Edwards Airport is rather popular. The Naval Aviation Museum is free once you get there.

I don't think I'll be there, but I'll suggest a couple places to eat:
Breakfast: 1. Another Broken Egg, excellent food, not cheap, but worth it. 2. The Donut Hole, good food, great doughnuts and muffins, there are two lines, one is to sit down, the other is carry out. :D 3. Harbor Docks is good as well, try the cheese grits. ;)
Lunch:1. Dewey Destin's, 2 locations, I like the on on the bay better, it's seafood in a basket! Both are great. 2. Again Harbor Docks is very good, I ate there yesterday. 3. My new favorite is the Big Red truck! Located on the bay behind Maguire's it's right next to Dewey Destin's, they have great fish, chicken and BBQ tacos! They have soft drinks, but you can bring your own beer if you like, see Casey!
Dinner: 1. LaFamiglia, you can't eat seafood every day, great Italian food, go to the old location, see Tony, great guy, not a great waiter. :D you can make reservation here.
2. Dewey Destin's great for dinner as well, the one on the bay closes at 8.
3. Callahan's is another local place, right behind Krispy Kreme, better known for comfort food than seafood.
4. Maguires Irish Pub has the best steaks in town, good burgers too!
5. Louisiana Lagniappe is good, it's inside the Sandpiper Cove condo complex, nice sit down restaurant.

Hope this helps!
John

Destin is my preferred beach spot in the area (I'm in Tallahassee). I've been several times and twice just last month.

For breakfast, The Pancakery is also good in my book. For lunch or dinner, Maguire's is great for everyone. Their lamb stew is delicious.

If you're into being in or on the water, I suggest waverunners or a pontoon. I usually do one or both. The bay has plenty of space to enjoy on boats or waverunners. Most spots in the harbor will want about 70-80/hr (gas included).
Luther's (http://www.lutherspontoon.com/) or and Boogie's (http://boogieswatersports.com/) are good spots. I prefer Luther's as they're family run, sometimes cheaper and they have parking at the dock. Do call a day in advance for waverunners at Luther's.

Pontoon rentals usually go for about $250 for 4 hours (gas included). This is really inexpensive when you have a group. We'll load up a cooler or two with food and drinks and cruise the bay. Sometimes we'll drop anchor at Crab Island (https://www.facebook.com/crabislandcom) or one of the beaches in the bay to swim and relax. Crab Island tends to be noiser, so if you want quiet, you can find some beaches in the bay to enjoy.

I'm not sure Destin and budget should go in the same paragraph. At least in the 17 years I've lived here, I wouldn't.

Back