Desk Top does not like to shut down.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So my desktop Dell Demension 4700 is acting funny. When I'm on it everything works great. The problem is shutting down. We have 3 users my my wife and daughter.

I go to the start menu click log off then log off again when it prompts me to be sure and up pops a box that says " sprtcmd.exe" then I get the message that says the program is not responding and I have to hit the End Now or Cancel button. I go for the end now button and it usually logs us off. occasionally if I walk away from the screen forgeting it does this when I come back I'll have a blank screen showing just my wall papaer and I'll have to hit the off button on the cpu and start it back up. Any thoughts

It's the Dell thingamajig... Dell Support Center, or something along those lines. Useless as far as I can tell, but some would disagree. Apparently, yours has some issues.

You can uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, remove it from startup up using something like CCleaner, or download the newest version from Dell and install it. Your choice, really. It's not an essential Windows service.

-Rich

could be APCI failure but that usually only happens when the computer hangs on the "shutting down windows" screen....that process is USUALLY the Dell thing, but check for virus as well

You can stop it from happening by not having it start when you boot up. You will still be able to use the Dell Support center by starting it manually if you want/need to.
Follow these steps to stop it from starting automatically.

Start > Run

Type "msconfig.exe" without quotation marks.
Click OK

Go to Startup tab
Uncheck the sprtcmd box (this will stop the popup box for you)

Do not uncheck the dsca box (so DSC will continue to operate on Startup)
Click OK > Restart

After restarting, a "System Configuration Utility" window with message will appear.
Check the box so this message will not appear again when next restarting.

That should take care of it for you

Certain model Dell's have/had issues with their support center.

Mark B

Ahhh thanks guys thats better and faster too:yesnod: BTW any harm in removing Music Match Jukebox I use I Tunes?

Ahhh thanks guys thats better and faster too:yesnod: BTW any harm in removing Music Match Jukebox I use I Tunes?

I don't think I've ever come across anyone who actually uses the Music Match Jukebox. Unless you are the exception, you can uninstall it. If you uninstall MM, you also should uninstall the Music Match plugin for Windows Media Player, if it exists.

You may (but probably won't) have to re-assign some media file associations to your player of choice after uninstalling MM, but it's unlikely. More likely, I-Tunes already grabbed them for itself.

As an aside, with reference to Mark's post, I've never been a big believer in using msconfig as a solution to startup problems. I consider msconfig more of a diagnostic tool than a curative one. Once the troublesome service, program, or what-have-you is isolated, I prefer removing the troublesome entries from the registry (or wherever they're lurking), rather than just disabling them with msconfig; so the desired startup configuration becomes the "normal" one that is loaded when msconfig is set to "Normal Startup."

My feeling is that disabling entries in msconfig leaves the machine in sort of a crippled state, and that it's not really fixed until it runs properly when set to "Normal Startup." But many of my techie friends disagree and say that I'm just being anal about it.

-Rich

So Rich you basically saying just remove the program?

Yes, it's not essential software and you never use it, so just uninstall it. It's taking up space and serving no purpose to you.

If you think you might like to use it some day, you can just remove its startup entries. CCleaner is a convenient tool to do this without having to edit the registry directly.

You also can use msconfig, if you prefer, to disable the processes (although I'm not fond of that method, as I previously mentioned); or you can use CCleaner to remove the startup entries while leaving the program installed. But if you never use MusicMatch and have no intention of ever doing so, I'd say just uninstall it.

-Rich

Back