Descending below field elevation while cirling

USS Rock Springs

Attachments

• KRKS.jpg
    KRKS.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 13
USS Rock Springs

Sedona is another cool one with great drop off at the ends with canyon walls nearby, if you had the nerve you can turn downwind through to final between a bluff and some spires. Taking off and picking up the gear to clear the fence and boom, instant altitude you can fall off if you like.

I can't address this directly, but will say we did something very similar in Vietnam in Helos. There were mountain top bases we would go into visually, of course, where the clouds would be on top or just above the base. Many of the folks there weren't instrument rated (had what was called a tactical instrument rating which was a few hours of training). They would circle and come up below the ceiling or look for a break in the layer to come in. Very few instrument approaches there and none to the field positions. It would have been silly to get up high and descend into the clouds from on top in that situation.

Best,

Dave

Sedona is another cool one with great drop off at the ends with canyon walls nearby, if you had the nerve you can turn downwind through to final between a bluff and some spires. Taking off and picking up the gear to clear the fence and boom, instant altitude you can fall off if you like.

I spend a lot of time in that area. Downwind on the northside would be doable because the terrain to the north is not all that close. On the southside, no way Jose.

Of course on the northside you are over a whole lot of population.

They could have an LPV IAP with a lot lower minimums than they have today, but it would require a climb gradient left climbing turn instead of the present high HAT right climbing turn. I don't know if the greens that live there would accept it though.

The present IAP is really old.

I spend a lot of time in that area. Downwind on the northside would be doable because the terrain to the north is not all that close. On the southside, no way Jose.

Of course on the northside you are over a whole lot of population.

They could have an LPV IAP with a lot lower minimums than they have today, but it would require a climb gradient left climbing turn instead of the present high HAT right climbing turn. I don't know if the greens that live there would accept it though.

The present IAP is really old.

Sedona does not require a precision approach. Basically the approach would only serve to be helpful in dark nights because any low IMC you get in the area, in fact any IMC you find in the area, is generally unfliable. Since best of my knowledge night flight into and out of Sedona is prohibited, that leaves the IAP serving very little function, one any non precission approach or VFR moving map with terrain can fulfill.

Sedona does not require a precision approach. Basically the approach would only serve to be helpful in dark nights because any low IMC you get in the area, in fact any IMC you find in the area, is generally unfliable. Since best of my knowledge night flight into and out of Sedona is prohibited, that leaves the IAP serving very little function, one any non precission approach or VFR moving map with terrain can fulfill.

See lots of 300 and 1 in winter storms.

Those with WAAS have vertical guidance on the present IAP.

. Since best of my knowledge night flight into and out of Sedona is prohibited, that leaves the IAP serving very little function, one any non precission approach or VFR moving map with terrain can fulfill.

From the airport's website:

All Aircraft: Avoid departures or arrivals 10:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M.

It gets dark long before 10:00 PM, especially at this time of the year.

Back