Depression Question

U

Unregistered

Hey everyone

I have a question about obtaining my Medical. Back in 2005 I was rejected for my Student Pilot medical for being on Prozac. The following year I went off Prozac and have been free ever since. I have seen a psychiatrist since 2007 either.

Now six years after getting off anti depressants (and being in better financial shape) I want to get back into flying. I'm curious (and a little nervous). Will this past history of depression prevent me from getting my medical again?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

It may not. Since you were rejected for a medical the FAA has changed their requirements for folks on SSRIs such as Prozac. You will likely need a bunch of extra certifications from your docs and perhaps an extra evaluation or two but it may very well be possible.

The best way to prepare for this is to educated yourself on the requirments and to get all of your medical ducks in a row PRIOR to walking into the AMEs office.

One of our posters Doc Bruce is a top AME who helped craft the new rules. I expect he will be around to post in a bit on what you need to do. He is the guy to listen to on this issue. My best advice is listen to him and do what he tells you you need to do. Don't debate it just do it and if he says it will happen it will. Best of luck to you!

The SI allows those with certain depressions to take the SSRIs while having the medical.
It's involved.

Your prognosis is probably better. Six years of successful life with no SSRI probably leads to an indication of either a misdiagnosis or some situational thing that has changed.
You may still end up needing the full PPP (MMPI-2, and some other psych tests and a report from a psychiatrist) but you may be able to get a regular issuance with the proviso if you ever feel depressed to stop flying.

The easiest and least expensive way is to get the records from the psychiatrist and find that it has a 309.2X diagnosis or the like, any of the "reactive" anxiety or Reactive depression diagnoses. Then revisit the psych; have the psych document that there is nothing left to treat, and that there are NO symptoms and have him state the date of the last Rx. Get a letter in that regard.

Sadly, if it isn't a "reactive" or "situational" diagnosis, you will have a very hard time, and will need a HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) Psychiatrist and Psychologist assessment. For that, think $4,000, and it's uninsured.

How about starting with getting your records.
Do NOT go for a flight physical until this has been fleshed out. Right now, if you do nothing at all, you can fly a light sport Champ, Porterfield, or the like (LSA). The minute you apply, the administrator has only two choices: Approve, or Deny. If you get denied, there is no powered aviation for you in the 50 states (except for self launching glider).

Last edited:
Right now, if you do nothing at all, you can fly a light sport Champ, Porterfield, or the like (LSA). The minute you apply, the administrator has only two choices: Approve, or Deny. If you get denied, there is no powered aviation for you in the 50 states (except for self launching glider).

Wouldn't his previously failed medical prevent that?

Back in 2005 I was rejected for my Student Pilot medical for being on Prozac. The following year I went off Prozac and have been free ever since. I have seen a psychiatrist since 2007 either.

Hey OP here

Thanks for the answers! I have a couple more questions. What would be the best way to get a conclusory visit? (I was diagnosed at 14 or 15 so I'm a little out of the loop on procedure.) It also looks like the doctor I saw moved to another state, would another suffice?

Thanks again!

Another would suffice if he had the record. You still need to get the record. Otherwise the new guy will have to spend a few hours with you (EXPEN$E).

So find that psychiatrist!.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back