depression meds

U

Unregistered

I am a 21 year old instrument rated pilot with 220 hours TT i am a Jr in college. I have grounded myself from flying because i have been very depressed lately over a fall out with a friend and betrayel by a girlfriend . I love flying but my health comes first i was wondering how the FAA would view going on antidepressants for say 3 months?

Would I have to report it on my next medical in August 2016 if I only took it for 3 months?

go find out about alternatives - not drugs but things like exercise, therapy and hobbies other than flying . . . .

Look, you got screwed over - its happened to all of us - not to minimize what you are feeling but we have brains for a reason. Use reason and intellect and see if you can find something other than drugs to get through the day.

It takes 2 week minimum for them to take effect- the lowest doses rarely work - so you need another 10-14 days increasing dose in steps, putting you at month and it takes at least 6 weeks to wean yourself off - so three months is a fantasy.

If you feel better on them its usually the placebo effect if it happens in less than 3 weeks.

Research the SSRI discontinuation syndrome, and see if you are willing to tolerate that as well in the event you are unlucky enough to suffer that side effect as well. . .

I think that the idea that you can take them for 3 months like a vitamin and feel better is a fantasy . . . .

I'm sorry for what has befallen you in life. . . . and hope you find a way to manage it successfully.

1. I would use medication as the absolute last resort. Especially because you are a pilot. I would seek out talk therapy and/or other non-medication solutions first.

2. Don't do anything to jeopardize your medical status including filling any SSRI perscriptions until you speak with a Senior AME who has been there done that so many times, he IS the T-shirt vendor. I would highly suggest you reach out by email or phone and speak with Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com . Dr. Bruce is one of the 4 AME's who authored the protocol for SSRI's that the FAA accepted. This means he is DA BOMB and DA MAN (or DOC) who can best guide you on how your current way of going about this could do harm to your flying career.

Dr. Bruce can also guide you on what needs doing from your supervising doctor if it must come to using depression medication.

---------------------------

But I still believe that talking it out and working through the pain "au natural" is worth a try.

Mike is right - to the OP - have you tried tequila and nights out chasing tail? That always worked for me. ..

I think that the idea that you can take them for 3 months like a vitamin and feel better is a fantasy . . . .

Agreed... it's another concept that mass market media is gaining some success at. Especially amongst the TV and Internet generations.

Mike is right - to the OP - have you tried tequila and nights out chasing tail? That always worked for me. ..

:lol: I thought of suggesting this too.... Get with the better friends of yours (who have now kicked out of the circle the one that messed you over) and go to a private dinner place, and with much carousing, yelling, swearing, crying, and more, work through the emotions and burn them out.

Then get a really good nights sleep, hit the gym and the heavy bag (imagining the faces of the ones that hurt you on the bag) for a good work out. Have a another really good meal. Another good night's sleep. And then resume your normal daily activities.

But again, before you do anything that could harm your medical certificate, call up Dr. Bruce and talk with him.

Yea I dont want to jeopardize my medical drugs would be the last resort I plan on starting my CFI this summer so I really don't want to screw that up my friends and family are behind me 100 percent I'm just gonna get through this with their support. My ex was bipolar I can now see why they dont allow bi polar people to fly lol.

Would I have to report it on my next medical in August 2016 if I only took it for 3 months?
Yes. And you'll forever have to report the diagnosis of depression which led to the prescription even if you've been off the meds for decades. Furthermore, even if you go off those meds after three months of use, you are grounded until you report the use to the FAA and obtain clearance to fly again from them. Since the use of these meds with diagnosis of depression is disqualifying, this is not something you can self-clear after self-grounding.

Last edited:
this is not something you can self-clear after self-grounding.

And if I'm recalling the teachings of Dr. Bruce on this matter, obtaining the "all clear" can be an expensive proposition since the required psych visits and required reports are not covered by insurance and all come out of your pocket.

What we are pointing out is that your idea of a short term solution (taking depression medications) comes with it's own super-sized bucket load of (often expensive) complications when you are an airman who wishes to retain his medical and flying status.

A friend was prescribed antidepressants and was on them for a brief period. That has put him into a special issuance medical bucket, which has created a serious obstacle both financial and time wise from a medical perspective.

I'd avoid meds if at all possible.

Meds suck. Lift heavy things, bang new girls, and drink alcohol.

I was in a similar spot when I was roughly the OP's age and was on SSRIs for a few months. 15 years later, in hindsight, it wasn't worth it. The underlying problem resolved with the passage of time, but the implications for the FAA medical are forever.

I am a 21 year old instrument rated pilot with 220 hours TT i am a Jr in college. I have grounded myself from flying because i have been very depressed lately over a fall out with a friend and betrayel by a girlfriend . I love flying but my health comes first i was wondering how the FAA would view going on antidepressants for say 3 months?

Try B12 Vitamin in large dose. It works for me and for others
Get another girlfriend. There is plenty of girls out there looking for a guy like you, believe me.
At 21 you are at best of your life. Enjoy it, be happy.

Good Luck

José

I went through a divorce, lost my job and had to relocate. Got depressed. Took SSRI's for a while. Cognitive Therapy worked better than the meds. Because of the meds, I had to get psych testing to keep flying. Not worth it for what little the meds did for me.

Life hurts occasionally, but we get by.

Yes. Or risk losing your license.

Go with the alternatives. No ex-girlfriend or ex-friend is worth giving up your flying over. Find another way to deal with this beyond pills.

Well I don't want to go on meds because of the world of hurt from the FAA I do plan to get my CFI this summer and I dont want to mess that up I have plenty of friends with benefits

Yea I guess it's not worth the risk to my medical. It is unfair as pilots that we are singled out. the doctor who did my wisdom teeth when I was 15 is aloud to take these drugs and cut into my mouth while I am under dangerous anesthetic drugs . But I can't fly a Cessna with a buddy once in awhile on a hamburger run that is messed up

I would recommend talking to a therapist, and avoiding antidepressants, if possible. You'd probably be fine taking antidepressants for a short period of time, with a letter from your doctor explaining that it was a transient issue that has been resolved at your next medical. With a prescription, though, comes a diagnosis, which is very different from just talking to a therapist to deal with some life issues. Both will need to be reported on your next medial, but with no diagnosis, you can start flying after treatment. If you're prescribed an antidepressant, you're grounded for at least a year, minimum.

Can you spot the good advice here? The bad advice?

Go to the source. Call Dr. Bruce Chien. See post #5.

You're in college, grab a 0.5 oz of weed and flame up for a couple weeks. Then wait another 45 days before getting back in the left seat. No long term effects, no reporting and you'll whoa up.
Regardless what you decide, best of luck both short and long term.

I also found that 2000mg of Fish Oil Omega-3 helps on coping with depression. Omega-3 helps to maintain a happy mood. Just try it.

José

You're in college, grab a 0.5 oz of weed and flame up for a couple weeks. Then wait another 45 days before getting back in the left seat. No long term effects, no reporting and you'll whoa up.
Regardless what you decide, best of luck both short and long term.

No reporting, until your next medical.

I would recommend talking to a therapist, and avoiding antidepressants, if possible. You'd probably be fine taking antidepressants for a short period of time, with a letter from your doctor explaining that it was a transient issue that has been resolved at your next medical. With a prescription, though, comes a diagnosis, which is very different from just talking to a therapist to deal with some life issues. Both will need to be reported on your next medial, but with no diagnosis, you can start flying after treatment. If you're prescribed an antidepressant, you're grounded for at least a year, minimum.
This information is not accurate. If you want accurate information, contact Bruce Chien via http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

My diagnosis: You're suffering from the curse of being 21. Take the money you would have spent on doctors and drugs and spend it on a few hours of rentals. College girls dig guys who fly and the post flight debriefing with the lass of your choice will make it all worth it.

Only freaky goth/emo chicks are into dudes on anti-depressants because they couldn't get over a former chick. Next thing you'll be into cutting.

That's it, could you imagine the hand wringing if they dropped the last two years bit?

Alcohol abuse has no timeframe specified. Drinking too much and getting wasted at a couple of college parties is alcohol abuse (ever in your life, even if you are 60 now, even if you caused no trouble for it other than crashing at your friend's couch).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back