Depression in remission?

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I have a quick question about depression. I've had two bouts with depression in my life. One about 3 years ago, one 10. I was on medication both times for about a year each (give or take). I haven't had any trouble with it since.

Here is my question, while I've seen that you can get an SI while taking some specific SSRIs, I have yet to find any guidance on what the FAA might consider depression in remission and thereby give me my medical.

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a quick question about depression. I've had two bouts with depression in my life. One about 3 years ago, one 10. I was on medication both times for about a year each (give or take). I haven't had any trouble with it since.

Here is my question, while I've seen that you can get an SI while taking some specific SSRIs, I have yet to find any guidance on what the FAA might consider depression in remission and thereby give me my medical.

Thanks
You will need expert advice on this one before you apply to insure you will not be rejected and eliminate your Sport Pilot option.

The good news is that the FAA medical dept mentioned at Oshkosh a year or two ago it was working on criteria to allow those with mild depression currently on select SSRIs (antidepression drugs like Zoloft) to get or keep a medical certificate. One of the criteria was no history of suicide attempt. I suspect that you would also need a recent evaluation by a psychiatrist or possibly a clinical psychologist.

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I know about the SSRI SI. I've also had a full clinical work up including the MMPI saying that I'm in remission.

I guess I'm just a bit confused, as I can't find really any info about what happens after you're off of SSRIs, like how long you have to be without symptoms before I should approach an AME. Also I haven't seen much about having more than one bout of depression in your history.

I'd be happy to fly sport if the planes weren't so darn hard to find. Closest one to me is about a three hour drive.

OP Keep checking the thread and I'm sure Dr. Bruce will chime in. Bruce knows this stuff inside and out and it the source in my opinion. And congrats on beating the deamon!!

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I know about the SSRI SI. I've also had a full clinical work up including the MMPI saying that I'm in remission.

I guess I'm just a bit confused, as I can't find really any info about what happens after you're off of SSRIs, like how long you have to be without symptoms before I should approach an AME. Also I haven't seen much about having more than one bout of depression in your history.

I'd be happy to fly sport if the planes weren't so darn hard to find. Closest one to me is about a three hour drive.
I think that you are in good shape but you must tread carefully. You will need advice by a knowledgeable AME, like Dr. Bruce or AOPA medical dept.

I get the impression that Dr. Bruce is "THE" expert on this subject, based on other threads. I know there's a thread with his e-mail address in it - I'd recommend the OP send him a private message.

Simple unipolar depression is known to the FAA to go an average of 17 years between episodes. In the in-between, you CANNOT tell the person from the normal.

With properly historical deocumentation and a current status letter from the treating physician, stating that you are in remission and have had no need of medication since 200X (> 1 year), and have had no hint of a manic phase, you are certifiable. Unrestricted. You do, however, get a warning that should your condition change you are to ground immediately and inform FAA.

You don't need the hard -won SSRI protocol, unless your doc thinks you would be better on a single low dose of one of 4 SSRI (see attachment p. 14). There are large documentary requirements, however including two full psych evals and psychometrics, at the beginning and one year down the road.

The guys are right. I'm one of the authors of the SSRI proposal, though in the process FAA heaped requirement upon requirement on it. AT least it exists.

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 197
Great, Thanks Dr. Bruce (and others!) for the time!

One quick follow up. What defines proper historical documentation? I don't have any, and frankly it's been so long, I have no idea who the first treating doc was. The second treating physician was actually a nurse practitioner that no longer works for the medical group. Heck, I don't even go to that medical group anymore...

Will the psych workup I mentioned earlier be enough?

A good four axis evaluation contains a detailed psych history. That's why they're so expensive- it takes a few sessions, particulary when you can't remember. It involves the current psych doing some research as well- getting what old records he can.

Pharmacy records are typically forever- the chain drugstores just get bigger and bigger hard drives.

Last edited:
Great thanks again Dr. Bruce.

I'll add this here for the record in case someone finds it useful. The evaluation cost about $1700. I went to a psychologist that actually specialized in these. The whole thing consisted of an interview, some mental tests (remember this chain of words and repeat), the MMPI and she also talked to a few of my friends and family. The result is a written report detailing my condition, the results of the tests and interviews and noting that I'm in remission.

Good luck with your medical. Hopefully your application will sail through. I have had to endure all of the hassles of going through the Special Issuance process for the past three years and am still apprehensive about it. Today I had to suffer through my mandatory annual eye exam due to one of my medications. It is still worth it to be able to keep my 3rd class and fly my DA40. There is always Sport Pilot as a backup when the time comes.

Thanks Gary.

As I mentioned before I'd be happy to fly sport if there were planes available. Although I'm really itching to get my instrument rating. The fact that you can fly a plane without outside visual reference is fascinating to me.

Thanks Gary.

As I mentioned before I'd be happy to fly sport if there were planes available. Although I'm really itching to get my instrument rating. The fact that you can fly a plane without outside visual reference is fascinating to me.
The Sport Pilot reference probably applies more to me than you. Unless you have other medical issues you are probably in much better shape than I am. I like being able to file IFR and fly larger and faster airplanes than are available as Light Sport but it's nice to know that they are available if needed. Hopefully I will be able to keep my 3rd class medical for a while. Anybody applying for a medical certificate should be aware that a denial will make them ineligible for Sport Pilot privileges but this should be common knowledge.

Hey Gary,

Against all advise I'd received, I started taking lessons before I got my medical. Then I learned that the FAA frowns on depression, and I can understand that. So I've been reading and re-reading everything I could find about my medical...I'm owning it, as Dr. Bruce likes to say.

Gathering all my materials before I hit the AME. No this isn't the only flag on my medical, I had a DUI a few years ago, and well read on.

I have to say learning to fly has really kicked me into gear about getting my health in order. I hadn't had a physical in I can't tell you how long. However, since I'm overweight, and based on what I'd read here, I though I should get a physical. I haven't had a physical in, well I don't think ever. And well the test results came in.

Good news:
The 20 years of smoking hadn't effected my lung function (I quit over a year ago).

Bad news:
I have hypertension and type II diabetes. The deskjob and video games have taken their toll. Funny thing is I actually eat pretty well, no fast food, I just eat, and eat and eat and eat....and am sedentary.

Good side, none are close to disqualifying like depression. Better side, not only am I owning my medical, I'm owning my health. I think I read it here, but "nothing like being a pilot to keep your health in check". Really regardless of how this all turns out, it has been a kick in the seat.

My goal is to be completely med free and have at least my private ticket by next year.

Hey Gary,

Against all advise I'd received, I started taking lessons before I got my medical. Then I learned that the FAA frowns on depression, and I can understand that. So I've been reading and re-reading everything I could find about my medical...I'm owning it, as Dr. Bruce likes to say.

Gathering all my materials before I hit the AME. No this isn't the only flag on my medical, I had a DUI a few years ago, and well read on.

I have to say learning to fly has really kicked me into gear about getting my health in order. I hadn't had a physical in I can't tell you how long. However, since I'm overweight, and based on what I'd read here, I though I should get a physical. I haven't had a physical in, well I don't think ever. And well the test results came in.

Good news:
The 20 years of smoking hadn't effected my lung function (I quit over a year ago).

Bad news:
I have hypertension and type II diabetes. The deskjob and video games have taken their toll. Funny thing is I actually eat pretty well, no fast food, I just eat, and eat and eat and eat....and am sedentary.

Good side, none are close to disqualifying like depression. Better side, not only am I owning my medical, I'm owning my health. I think I read it here, but "nothing like being a pilot to keep your health in check". Really regardless of how this all turns out, it has been a kick in the seat.

My goal is to be completely med free and have at least my private ticket by next year.

Good luck - if you maintain that proper attitude I'm sure you'll find success.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back