Depression diagnosis ages ago

U

Unregistered

My wife is interested in flying enough to learn how to land and handle emergencies. There's a part of me that hopes she actually digs it enough to get her PPL. The catch is that about 5 years ago she was diagnosed with depression and though perscribed medication never took it to be best of my knowledge.

If she does decide she wants to fly, what needs to be documented to get a 3rd class medical?

Not good. She has a diagnosis.
I would seek a competent psychiatrist and request a 4 axis evaluation before even thinking about peeping anything to the agency.

Get the psychiatrist all your wife's medical records...

You would think the psych industry would work on the FAA to stop scaring their business away, or worse yet to require a psych work up as part of the medical. Either way there have to be lots of folks out there who's lives could be improved if only the FAA didn't want to end their career for getting better

You would think the psych industry would work on the FAA to stop scaring their business away, or worse yet to require a psych work up as part of the medical. Either way there have to be lots of folks out there who's lives could be improved if only the FAA didn't want to end their career for getting better
That reflects ignorance of what a single episode of depression means.

Is it chronic simple depression.
Is it reactive depression.
Is it depressive presentation of bipolarity.
Is is.....
Well anyway, the three I mentioned have very very different life outcomes.

That was actually my point, there are very different outcomes but it doesn't seem like the FAA encourages people to get help early so that they can succeed where able.

Instead it feels like they would rather people go untreated until the symptoms are severe enough to cause a real problem.

I really have no dog in this fight, just my $0.02 from the cheap seats

That was actually my point, there are very different outcomes but it doesn't seem like the FAA encourages people to get help early so that they can succeed where able.

Instead it feels like they would rather people go untreated until the symptoms are severe enough to cause a real problem.

I really have no dog in this fight, just my $0.02 from the cheap seats

I tend to agree, but I'd expand it beyond mental health to overall health in general. For many airman there is a common attitude to ignore certain hints, potential health problems, etc. because of the perceived paperwork, expenses or potential for loss of a medical. This is particularly true for those who make a living in aviation.

Just from reading these forums, I'm not sure I'd ever want to bring up any mental health concerns to my family physician or go see a shrink (marriage councellng excluded). Docs seem to eager to give out happy pills and the expense of proving your sanity is too costly.

Thankfully for me, flying is my therapy and has managed to keep me well adjusted for the last two decades.

Docs seem to eager to give out happy pills and the expense of proving your sanity is too costly.
On a slightly related example, my rotator cuff flared up a few months back. Nothing serious, but I got a twinge whenever I reached back. Had a similar occurrence over a decade ago and PT worked wonders. Went to see the ortho and right off the bat he's talking steroid injection, anti-inflamatories and pain killers. I told him to put away the Rx pad and send me next door to the rehab unit. He seemed a bit put off that I didn't want meds, but six visits to PT in six weeks fixed it.

The moral is that you have to take charge of your own health. Doc's are pretty much forced to practice "defensive medicine" these days, so it's up to you to push back.

Funny thing is, the med's would have been cheaper than the PT co-pays... :mad2:

The Psyche "industry" gets a minimum of $10K just to start the process for every person the FAA refers.

I don't think you understand the benefit FAA provides them. Definitely not "scaring business away". You pay now or you pay later if you're mentally ill and want to be in the left seat. You can't hide from it forever.

Big Pharma, on the other hand, might have a beef with FAA, but FAA does tend to set the bar higher for them to prove no ill side effects, than most Doctors do.

Drug reps with suitcases full of samples and burrito lunches for the nurses, are almost never turned away, an ethical problem, IMHO.

Knowing the way the FAA treats these cases, if you'd been feeling down for some time how would the status of your medical affect your decision to go/not go seek professional help. You know if you go to that appointment you're getting diagnosed with something and it may be a nightmare or impossible to fly again.

Yeah yeah I know take care of yourself first, but let's just say for arguments sake, flying is either your livelihood or the one thing that makes it all worthwhile for you. Just what affect might loosing one's medical have on that depression?

I'd be genuinely curious to send 100 people into therapists offices around the country and see what proportion would come out FAA legal

I'd be genuinely curious to send 100 people into therapists offices around the country and see what proportion would come out FAA legal

:rofl:

Sad but true, none of them would be. They just had a visit to a physcologist's office. :dunno:

Why does anyone report this to the FAA? Do DR's report every visit by patients to the FAA? Or to any governmental agency?

Last edited:
I had to jump through a few hoops to get my medical cleared for past depression.

I was on citalopram for 3 months and was being treated for about 6 about 5 years ago as well.

I eventually got a 2nd class medical, but it took a good 3 months while I was working through the process. You'll have to get a letter from a physician stating that the depression is no longer a current problem.

Knowing the way the FAA treats these cases, if you'd been feeling down for some time how would the status of your medical affect your decision to go/not go seek professional help. You know if you go to that appointment you're getting diagnosed with something and it may be a nightmare or impossible to fly again.

Yeah yeah I know take care of yourself first, but let's just say for arguments sake, flying is either your livelihood or the one thing that makes it all worthwhile for you. Just what affect might loosing one's medical have on that depression?

Yeah, after the trail of BS I had to go through to get my medical cleared I'll be damn sure to give any medical treatment I may need a second thought before I follow through.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back