Departure thread

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
We departed around noon IFR from 6Y9 and will be working our way back to Nebraska. N1161F

Clark departed shortly after Jesse and crew. Leslie and I have started the drive back to Chicago. Ed is talking about a fuel run this afternoon. Pete and Tim are still on the field, planning to leave tomorrow, along with Ed and Kimberley (who does exist). Not sure when Diz, Brad, Jen and Ryan are leaving. I want to express my heartfelt thanks to them for once again putting on a wonderful event and keeping a great airport going.

We in S.E. MI, and those who tried to fly through this are, who couldn't make are truely disappointed. :( Glad you all had a wonderful time. Will try again next year.

170+kts to CLI for fuel. 160+kts from CLI to 9D9. 180+ in a slow descent into Hastings.

170+kts to CLI for fuel. 160+kts from CLI to 9D9. 180+ in a slow descent into Hastings.

Must be one helluva tailwind?

Hope you guys had a great time

Last edited:
And Leslie and I are back home in Chicago. Realized that we left Leslie's step-stool up in Sidnaw, hopefully we'll reunite with it at Windwood. Again, we had a great time, and are glad we did the drive. We saw a bear cub on the way up and a couple of deer bounding across the highway on the way back. That US 141 sure has a lot of non-human traffic! :)

Back in Denver @ 7:30 MDT - fairly uneventful journey other than having to climb to 16,500 to get over everything between 6Y9 and points west. Stopped for a little gas at MIC and then topped off at LYV. Apparently somebody fat fingered my transponder code in Denver Center and they lost me for a little while. A sharp controller figured it out and all was right with the world again before hand-off to approach...

Yup. Ed, Kimberly "conversational goldfish" Ann, Diz, Brad, Jen, Ryan, Tim, and Pete.

"Conversational Goldfish"?

I gots to meet this girl.

That was what Ed called her at the campfire the night before the official fly-in. We've all agreed not to talk about anything that happened on the day of the actual fly-in. Sorry about that.

Yes. She was asked probably 6 direct, easy to answer questions, and the answers were random stories that had NOTHING to do with the question asked.

What happens at 6Y9, stays at 6Y9? ;)

What's the number one rule about 6Y9 Club? You don't talk about 6Y9 Club! ;)

Yes. She was asked probably 6 direct, easy to answer questions, and the answers were random stories that had NOTHING to do with the question asked.

I swear, I dated her. But she's too young for me to have done so.

Actually that is the rule 24.

For those that have not yet been to 6Y9 you refer to that rule as Mr. 24

I'd like to tell you that we saw the Lady in Red again, but that would have happened on the day of the fly-in, so I can't tell you either way. :)

I'd like to tell you that we saw the Lady in Red again, but that would have happened on the day of the fly-in, so I can't tell you either way. :)
:sad:

I am so totally ****ed that I missed it all this year. I wanted to go on Saturday, but the WX stunk. Then on Sunday I was going to get up at oh-dark-thirty and fly to have breakfast with you guys. But my jet lag was raging and I ended up sleeping until 9:30 CDT. It would have been close to 2 pm EDT by the time I got there. :mad::mad::mad2::mad2: :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

:sad:

I am so totally ****ed that I missed it all this year. I wanted to go on Saturday, but the WX stunk. Then on Sunday I was going to get up at oh-dark-thirty and fly to have breakfast with you guys. But my jet lag was raging and I ended up sleeping until 9:30 CDT. It would have been close to 2 pm EDT by the time I got there. :mad::mad::mad2::mad2: :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
Same here... this one I think I could have made if I'd had my IR finished up as I was planning. Not Saturday morning, but there was a window in the early afternoon where I suspect it could have been done. :(:( Partly it's on my A&P for futzing with my flaps cable for 3 weeks, but even if he'd been punctual it would have been a real push to get finished up. The real training killer this summer for me was the heat. I was reminded on Saturday how miserable it can be in the airplane at lower altitudes during a hot spell, and how crappy the Cardinal's performance can be in those conditions. I pretty much stopped training after mid-July.

This is added motivation for me to really bite the bullet and try to finish up this fall. It will be very difficult though coordinating my teaching schedule with my instructor's schedule and the wx. And that's assuming the rpm drops I'm still seeing don't lead to more extended mx downtime. :mad:

Still in Michigan, but here is a sample of the fun that was had . . .

6115200980_bd357975d0_b.jpg

And:

6116091837_08f8d0af5b_b.jpg

And:

6115215610_b1c58bd107_z.jpg

More to come when I am back in California . . . though some things that happened at 6Y9 cannot / will not be shared....

More to come when I am back in California . . . though some things that happened at 6Y9 cannot / will not be shared....

This is as it should be.

Sorry I could not be there.

We got chased out of Bay City Michigan by some nasty storms, honestly with minutes to spare. Sux that we couldn't make it, but I'd have need the IR to get through all that stuff. Probably for the best, as the wx has been far from flyable for the last two days. I guess I'll have to bring some good hooch to WV, to get you guys talking...

Still in Michigan, but here is a sample of the fun that was had . . .

6115215610_b1c58bd107_z.jpg

Notice that the guy from Texas is wearing a short sleeved shirt and shorts while the other guys are wearing long pants and jackets. I hereby bestow the title of honorary Yooper on Dave.

Got back a couple of hours ago, and have all of my soggy gear drying in the basement. Thanks again to The Brad, Ryan, and Ed for putting up yet another great 6Y9 flyin this year.

Looking forward to next year. Let's hope for a bit less rain :)

Soggy gear? Soggy gear! Ugh... think I *might* be glad I was stuck in Detroit...still, the pix made me sad to have missed out. :-(

Soggy gear? Soggy gear! Ugh... think I *might* be glad I was stuck in Detroit...still, the pix made me sad to have missed out. :-(

Just one downpour. Everyone else's stuff was dry.

HOME!

Had a nice 25 to 30 kt tail wind from CLI to home but paid for it upon arrival with a 040-19g25 wind when I got home. Our runway is 30/12...you do the math. Hills all around, it was a bucking bronco. Went around on attempt #1, decided to give it one more try before going to CGI (it's flatland over there with two runways) and calling my lovely bride to come pick me up. But I got it down on the second attemp.

It wasn't pretty but the airplane survived the trip...and so did my nose (I'll let Pete or Diz tell that story).

Thanks to all, and it was great meeting all those who I hadn't met yet.

Gary, thanks for the Chile ingredients. It went over pretty well.

Last edited:
Got back a couple of hours ago, and have all of my soggy gear drying in the basement. Thanks again to The Brad, Ryan, and Ed for putting up yet another great 6Y9 flyin this year.

Looking forward to next year. Let's hope for a bit less rain :)

My mom probably does more work to make it happen than all of us.....combined.

My mom probably does more work to make it happen than all of us.....combined.

yeah How could I have possibly forgotten Diz. I hope she won't beat me too badly next yer :)

yeah How could I have possibly forgotten Diz. I hope she won't beat me too badly next yer :)
Well, the women stick together! What do you think your chances are of getting any more of Leslie's cooking? :eek:

Really, though, Diz, along with Brad, Ed, Ryan, and Jen, really pull this together. I want to thank ALL of them for their efforts!

BTW, Diz has put together some awesome pictures of her trip to Africa that I hope are made available. We're talking National Geographic quality, here. Even if she doesn't remember that we've met Meredith, who is SO MUCH prettier than her brother Ed! :)

Clark departed shortly after Jesse and crew. Leslie and I have started the drive back to Chicago. Ed is talking about a fuel run this afternoon. Pete and Tim are still on the field, planning to leave tomorrow, along with Ed and Kimberley (who does exist).

Yes, I do exist. And thanks - I think?

Either way it was great to meet you and Leslie. Enjoyed myself way more than I thought was possible, all due to the kindness of the POAers.

HUGE thanks to all the people who put this on:

Diz and Brad - thanks: for letting me ride your "little tractor," and other off highway vehicles; for letting me stay in your spare bed; for allowing me to enjoy your delicious cooking and warm hospitality; and most importantly for putting up with me for 4 days!! Getting to meet your dog was fun too. I will be sending you photos which you can use for the airport or whatever you'd like. I did get some pictures of 6Y9 from the air.

Tim - thanks for the ride, and for answering all my questions about the 182A . . . I learned a lot and had so much fun in the plane. Also, thanks for the chili and all the fun stories. "No balls, no babies!" Oh and I'll send you some pictures I took of your plane and of your dog "Buddy."

Jen / Ryan / Kids - thanks for the companionship, delicious meals, and aviation advice. I will email Diz the family portrait I shot, which came out well.

Gary / Jeanie - thanks for driving in, and for gifting me the beer from Michigan! Nice to meet your dog, crash - I got some cute shots of him that I will send to you soon.

David - thanks for letting me sit in the back seat while you and Jesse were up front in "White Lightning." It was fun to finally meet you and fly with you.

Jesse - thanks for reminding me how much I suck at playing pool. That game was one of the worst I've ever had. Also thanks for going up in David's plane and flying for a bit with me in the back seat. That was neat.

Danielle - thanks for the company, and thanks for riding in front, which helped me to anticipate the dips in the path.

Grant / Leslie - thanks for sharing your companionship, food, and alcohol. It was fun to finally meet you and of course thanks for the original offer of a ride to 6Y9 which I did not end up needing.

Clark - thanks for ALMOST letting me go up in your plane. Too bad the weather did not allow us to do so. It was great to meet you - and I enjoyed our talks at Hoppy's!

Pete - thanks for putting up with all my (repeating) stories. It was cool to meet you and talk aviation.

And, last but not least, thanks to Ed for the hospitality, Comanche flights (no it is not ugly), and the joy of meeting "Kaiser." What a friendly, 100-pound, bundle of dog. Both Tim and I want to steal him away from you. I felt like a real pilot when you let me fly most of the way to 6Y9. The pictures I took of our flight back will be tough to beat - we saw rainbows, we flew through small showers of rain for fun, we saw rays of sun cutting through clouds, and we even did a little night flying. One of the biggest and brightest highlights of my trip was the time spent flying in that plane. I learned so much from you and I very much appreciate your teachings.

and the joy of meeting "Kaiser." What a friendly, 100-pound, bundle of dog. Both Tim and I want to steal him away from you.

Yessiree!

What a cool dog Kaiser is. Buddy and Kaiser had a blast, for three full days they tried to determine who had the bigger, eh, :)idea:I'll let Clark fill in the blank:wink2:)

Since I like dogs much better than I like people...every photo I got was of dogs. Here's Buddy and Kaiser bonding. They were best buds by the end of the trip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 250
I like dogs more than I like people most days, too. Other days, it is a tie. But never do the people win. I can't imagine life without a dog.

Kimberly

Back