Departure question out of KLAS

Earthroamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Earthroamer
Here is my question regarding a question with the COWBY TWO departure out of KLAS. This is assuming that you are taking off of 19R at KLAS. I am looking for a legal answer regarding this. Most of the time unless there is a left downwind arrival to 25L, you will get handed off to depature before JAKER. At that time departure will usually clear you up to FL190. The Jepp charts show ROPPR at or below 7000. So do you go for the side of caution and climb to 7000 until after ROPPR and then climb up to FL190? Most would say that you are allowed to go ahead and climb past 7000 up to FL190 and disregard that level off at ROPPR. However I cannot find anything in Mr. FAR or Miss. AIM to get an exact ruling.

Ugh - I wish I had the FARs in front of me, but I'm about 99.9% sure the words "Unless cleared by ATC" appear after the reg that says you must comply with published restrictions.

The answer lies in the AIM Section 5-2-7e:

"7. If an altitude to 'maintain' is restated, whether prior to departure or while airborne, previously issued altitude restrictions are canceled, including any DP altitude restrictions if any."

Thus, if, prior to ROPPR, ATC says, "Climb and maintain FL190," the altitude restriction at ROPPR is cancelled, and you should commence a climb to FL190 "promptly on acknowledgement of the clearance" IAW AIM Section 4-4-9d.

As an aside, the only relevant FAR would be 91.123(a), regarding compliance with ATC clearances. That regulation tells you that you must comply with any amendment to your IFR clearance, and AIM Section 5-2-7e7 tells you how to comply with this particular amendment.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response. I must have mis-read my copy of the FAR/AIM or just over looked it. I guess that is why people re-read the Bible all the time. I knew the proper way but wanted the official answer. We had a constructive discussion in cruise about that the other day.

On another note, Ron....I gave the guy I fly with your link to the AIM with regards to the uncontrolled airport lingo. He was very receptive to it and vowed to quit using it. Thank you.

Thank you for the quick response. I must have mis-read my copy of the FAR/AIM or just over looked it. I guess that is why people re-read the Bible all the time. I knew the proper way but wanted the official answer. We had a constructive discussion in cruise about that the other day.
When you teach out of the book long enough, you start to remember where everything is without having to search for it.

On another note, Ron....I gave the guy I fly with your link to the AIM with regards to the uncontrolled airport lingo. He was very receptive to it and vowed to quit using it. Thank you.
PRAISE THE LORD! Another convert to the righteous path of CTAF communication!

Back