Departing from C Airspace

flyguy_17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
flyguy_17
Question: On a recent flight to KRNO (Class C Airport) I was cleared to depart rwy 34R, after takeoff Tower handed me over to Departure, on callup to Departure he asked me to clarify my destination direction, I answered, he aknowledged, but did not give me a vector. I continued to fly the runway heading and never heard back from him (departure frequency was not busy at the time), finally at about 5 miles off the departure end of 34R I called him and asked if I was cleared to turn to my requested heading and his call back was "resume own navigation"...several miles later he called with "Clear of Charlie Airspace, Radar service terminated, Squak VFR". I have very little experience operating in C Airspace, but doesn't Dep usually issue a heading (or several headings depending on traffic) to fly after takeoff untill clear of the Class C? If not issued a hdg then fly Rwy hdg until further notice? Or at what point should I haveturned to my destination hdg? I could understand if the controller simply got busy and forgot about me, but this shouldn't have been the case this day.

Question: On a recent flight to KRNO (Class C Airport) I was cleared to depart rwy 34R, after takeoff Tower handed me over to Departure, on callup to Departure he asked me to clarify my destination direction, I answered, he aknowledged, but did not give me a vector. I continued to fly the runway heading and never heard back from him (departure frequency was not busy at the time), finally at about 5 miles off the departure end of 34R I called him and asked if I was cleared to turn to my requested heading and his call back was "resume own navigation"...several miles later he called with "Clear of Charlie Airspace, Radar service terminated, Squak VFR". I have very little experience operating in C Airspace, but doesn't Dep usually issue a heading (or several headings depending on traffic) to fly after takeoff untill clear of the Class C? If not issued a hdg then fly Rwy hdg until further notice? Or at what point should I haveturned to my destination hdg? I could understand if the controller simply got busy and forgot about me, but this shouldn't have been the case this day.

He probably simply overlooked the instruction in the discussion about your desired direction of flight.

That's odd makes you wonder if atc was playing games and got to into their solitaire

Usually that information is given to you when you call for your clearance. I fly out of a class C airport on every flight I make and the clearance delivery controller always says, " fly runway heading climb and maintain 2,000 feet until advised.". Since you were not "advised" you did the right thing.

Probably the departure guy lost track or forgot about you. It's happened to me too. I was once given a vector after departure that was taking me several miles off course. I called up the departure controller and he apologized. It happens.

You said the frequency was dead so if there are no airplanes in the area a simple " resume own navigation" is likely all you will get in class c. If its bust that's another story. ATC has no reason to issues headings or vectors when you are the only plane for miles.

Sometimes tower will issue a heading and altitude restriction. If you have neither one of those then climb and proceed on course. Departure was probably waiting for you to proceed on course. Terminating service after leaving the C was a bit premature. Usually they'll work you out to at least the 20 mile arc.

Ok thanks for the input guys. I just wasn't sure if I had missed something or if this was normal procedure. I'm one who isn't afraid to ask...I learned a long time ago that the only dumb question is the one unasked

Sometimes tower will issue a heading and altitude restriction. If you have neither one of those then climb and proceed on course. Departure was probably waiting for you to proceed on course. Terminating service after leaving the C was a bit premature. Usually they'll work you out to at least the 20 mile arc.

So are you saying I should have turned out after takeoff to my coarse without waiting for instructions?

Ok thanks for the input guys. I just wasn't sure if I had missed something or if this was normal procedure. I'm one who isn't afraid to ask...I learned a long time ago that the only dumb question is the one unasked

So are you saying I should have turned out after takeoff to my coarse without waiting for instructions?

You weren't given any restriction by tower and the AFD has no departure procedure, yes. Check in with departure and tell them you're direct your destination. I'd say 80 % of the time I've been assigned a vector or altitude by tower but on low traffic days I've departed without any restriction.

Did you request flight following when you talked to clearance delivery? If not, I'm sure you at least told him (or he asked for) on course hdg and alt. if its slow they will give you on course and let you navigate yourself. If its busy, you may get vectors. It sounds like he may have been busy with something else (not air traffic).

I'm not sure if it's standard, but if I haven't asked for flight following, I get dropped like a hot potato over Berkeley, when departing KOAK. That's a lot less than 20 miles.

I'm not sure if it's standard, but if I haven't asked for flight following, I get dropped like a hot potato over Berkeley, when departing KOAK. That's a lot less than 20 miles.

Sure I get that all the time with CHA tower. If I don't ask for FF he'll keep on the freq and terminate me at the 10 mile arc. If he gives me to approach they'll usually work me til about 20 out.

When you are VFR, if they don't tell you what direction to fly, then you are free to fly a heading of your own choosing. (In that case, normal right-of-way rules, etc, apply.) If they gave you a heading some time ago and you are wondering if they still want you on that heading, just ask.

Did you request flight following when you talked to clearance delivery? If not, I'm sure you at least told him (or he asked for) on course hdg and alt. if its slow they will give you on course and let you navigate yourself. If its busy, you may get vectors. It sounds like he may have been busy with something else (not air traffic).

Negative, I forgot to request that with Clearance Delivery. I picked it up from Oakland Center as soon as NorCal Departure dropped me. I'll remember next time though :)

Last edited:
When you are VFR, if they don't tell you what direction to fly, then you are free to fly a heading of your own choosing. (In that case, normal right-of-way rules, etc, apply.) If they gave you a heading some time ago and you are wondering if they still want you on that heading, just ask.

Is there a standard altitude or distance to climb out to on the runway heading before turning in that case? And yep thats what I did was ask, always better to ask than be unsure. Just though I better find out proper procedures to apply next time this happens. Thanks everyone for your input.

Departing out of RNO I normally get, "cleared on course" after the which way you going question. Provided there is no inbound traffic in the way. Unless you are climbing high, Center will not see you, so it is normal for NORCAL TRACON to have you squawk 1200 and cleared off freq once clear of class C.

As long as nobody said, "I have a phone number for you to call after landing," you must not have done too badly. ;) In any event, if in doubt at any time, just ask the controller with whom you are currently in contact -- they'd much rather have you ask then guess.

Is there a standard altitude or distance to climb out to on the runway heading before turning in that case?

In which case? Are you asking about when they say "fly runway heading," or when they don't say it?

For the former, an assigned heading normally applies until they either say "resume own navigation," or give a new heading assignment; for the latter, I was taught not to turn before crossing the departure end of the runway. And when staying in the pattern, I was taught not to turn crosswind before reaching 300 feet below pattern altitude.

Last edited:

How odd - I'm based at OAK and never get dropped. I don't specifically ask for flight following, but I do typically give my destination when initially calling up ground control.

Giving your destination is sometimes considered asking for flight following. Do you get told to squawk VFR after leaving Class C?

The usual rule about Class C is to give a direction of departure. "Request right crosswind departure to the north from 27 right."

I think he just forgot about you, or thought he gave you clearance to turn to your heading when discussing your final destination. Sounds like you did it just right. You flew the last heading you were given, then asked for clearance to turn to your requested heading.

Back