Denver's Class B

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - anyone have any advice transiting Denver's Class B airspace from the south to the north? I see some flyways on the back of the TAC, but is that really the only way I'm going to get through, or are they pretty friendly of GA?

Denver is fairly friendly to GA. You won't often get a Cls B clearance but I've never been turned down on flight following. Colorado Springs has even started handing off. And once in awhile you can get into the cls B. But DEN often uses all four directions in/out so there isn't much room.

Where are you headed? If the weather is good (and it often is). Following the VFR route shown on the back works. Or for a more scenic route go a little further west and fly along the foothills. Cls B stop before the mountains to allow a safe transit up high if you need it. I fly this quite often from Fort Collins so rarely go around east unless the wind/wx is really bad.

Eric

ejensen said:
Denver is fairly friendly to GA. You won't often get a Cls B clearance but I've never been turned down on flight following. Colorado Springs has even started handing off. And once in awhile you can get into the cls B. But DEN often uses all four directions in/out so there isn't much room.

Where are you headed? If the weather is good (and it often is). Following the VFR route shown on the back works. Or for a more scenic route go a little further west and fly along the foothills. Cls B stop before the mountains to allow a safe transit up high if you need it. I fly this quite often from Fort Collins so rarely go around east unless the wind/wx is really bad.

Eric

Thanks! Actually, I'm planning on going to Fort Collins sometime soon.

I fell in love with a Mongolian BBQ last time I was there called Hu Hot or something. I have the need (and a friend up there promising free beer :) )

When I do it, we should get a burger or something (or some Hu Hot!)

NickDBrennan said:
Thanks! Actually, I'm planning on going to Fort Collins sometime soon.

I fell in love with a Mongolian BBQ last time I was there called Hu Hot or something. I have the need (and a friend up there promising free beer :) )

When I do it, we should get a burger or something (or some Hu Hot!)

Would be great to tie in for a lunch or something:yes: (beer is good). Let me know when, my email should be good. I'm base at Fort Collins Downtown. A little more convient to Fort Collins especially the north side.

If you have any more question on coming up I-25 just ask. I've seen it more than I like to remember.

Eric

ejensen said:
Would be great to tie in for a lunch or something:yes: (beer is good). Let me know when, my email should be good. I'm base at Fort Collins Downtown. A little more convient to Fort Collins especially the north side.

If you have any more question on coming up I-25 just ask. I've seen it more than I like to remember.

Eric

LOL - funny thing is that I plan on using 3V5, but last time I was there, my friend and his friends at CSU all said that no such airport existed. Its not more than like 2 miles from the university. How could they miss it??

I hear that its going to be shut down soon, is that true?

NickDBrennan said:
I hear that its going to be shut down soon, is that true?
Wasn't the owner or operator of the airport killed in an airplane accident not too long ago? Seems like I remember that.

The weird thing about Ft. Collins Downtown is that the runway lights are way far away from the runway edge so that the illusion is that it's a wide runway when it's not. What's up with that? Not a problem if you're landing in the daytime, though.

Ejensen is right about the Denver Class B. Enjoy your $100 Mongolian BBQ! Actually coming from ABQ it would be more than that, no?

Everskyward said:
Wasn't the owner or operator of the airport killed in an airplane accident not too long ago? Seems like I remember that.

The weird thing about Ft. Collins Downtown is that the runway lights are way far away from the runway edge so that the illusion is that it's a wide runway when it's not. What's up with that? Not a problem if you're landing in the daytime, though.

Ejensen is right about the Denver Class B. Enjoy your $100 Mongolian BBQ! Actually coming from ABQ it would be more than that, no?
A little more....probably more like a $500 mongolian BBQ...and free beer.

NickDBrennan said:
A little more....probably more like a $500 mongolian BBQ...and free beer.

Where and what is the Mongolian BBQ?

Nick,

Others have pretty much said it, but you can fly under the Class B shelf off to the east or the sestern corridor no problem. Just watch the altitude and depending on how close to DEN you get you can transit no lower than 7,000 ft. Don't bust the Class B though. For a quick flight to get gas at Platte Valley I just stay at 6,900 ft. and rarely talk to them anymore. They've been pretty good about letting me through the Class B if I ask, but as Eric said, will sometiems refuse and still give you FF.

If your going to the east side look for FTG (Class D now) and wave, I'm based there. If you want to meet up, let me know.

Anthony said:

Not Nick, and not sure where, but Mongolian BBQ is an all you can eat design your own stir fry. You take your picks of meats (beef, pork, fish, lamb, chicken, shrimp, etc), and vegetables (broccoli, carrots, baby ears of corn, pea pods, green beans, etc.). Then you pick the sauce you'd like it grilled with (wine, soy, cajun, bbq, lemon pepper, among others) along with spices such as curry, baharat, thyme, ginger, etc.

You then take your bowl of goodness over to a large grill where the guys there will cook it in front of you. Go to your table, where you have rice waiting for you, and pig out. Repeat as necessary. I personally like a lamb with vegetables and the wine sauce with baharat.

http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/menu.html

Anthony said:
The absolute BEST Mongolian BBQ is east of I-25 on Arapahoe near the Denver Tech Center. Not a lot of choices, but prepared by a couple of old guys who look like they learned to cook this stuff from their ancestors on the steppes of outer Mongolia.
However, for the more modern taste and more choices, BD's Mongolian BBQ (a couple of blocks south of Coors Field in downtown Denver and off the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder) has a wonderful selection of meats and seafood, oils and spices...really GOOD EATS!!! However, it's just not the same thing watching your Mongolian BBQ being grilled by skateboarder college kids with tongue studs, ear rings and lip piercings...
Greg

gkainz said:
However, for the more modern taste and more choices, BD's Mongolian BBQ (a couple of blocks south of Coors Field in downtown Denver and off the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder) has a wonderful selection of meats and seafood, oils and spices...really GOOD EATS!!! However, it's just not the same thing watching your Mongolian BBQ being grilled by skateboarder college kids with tongue studs, ear rings and lip piercings...

Well I-25 and Arapahoe is closer than downtown, plus I'd be worried about body parts falling off into the barbecue should the "new age" preparers have a wardrobe malfunction.

Greg, you'll like this. We were in a bar in Evergreen, Cactus Jack's, with some friends that came to visit. Our "waitress" had tatoos all over the place including a tatoo of a heart (not just a heart shape, but an actual heart, with Aorta, Ventricles, etc) and all kinds of other suff on her chest. She bent over, revealing the, ahem, artwork. All I could say was.....nice tatoo.

Anthony said:
Our "waitress" had tatoos all over the place including a tatoo of a heart (not just a heart shape, but an actual heart, with Aorta, Ventricles, etc) and all kinds of other suff on her chest. She bent over, revealing the, ahem, artwork. All I could say was.....nice tatoo.
"Whadda ya get when you cross a med student with a tattoo artist?" :rofl:

gkainz said:
The absolute BEST Mongolian BBQ is east of I-25 on Arapahoe near the Denver Tech Center. Not a lot of choices, but prepared by a couple of old guys who look like they learned to cook this stuff from their ancestors on the steppes of outer Mongolia.
Greg

Funny, I've heard about BDs, last time I was in Fort Collins at a college party. Everyone told me Hu Hot was not as good. I don't see how anything could be better.

Maybe someday I'll venture to Denver to try that....but for now, Hu Hot it is!

Back