Denver to Pueblo

ColoPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ColoPilot
I was looking at the A/FD for the Air Force training areas around KCOS and KPUB. I've only gone from Denver to KPUB on a weekend when the training areas aren't being used (or used as much). What is the best strategy for transiting the area during the week with heavy training? Does KCOS approach allow transit through their airspace or is it best to climb to 11,500 and get over the entire mess?

Between the 7 different training areas and the "Caution Heavy Traffic To/From/Between training areas" and "Trainer Aircraft are Extremely Difficult to Acquire Visually" warnings, it would be nice if they had a suggested route like the VFR flyways around Class B airports.

Attachments

• Training Areas.pdf
    279.4 KB · Views: 11
KCOS should let you through, it's not usually very busy.

I did all of my PPL training out of KCOS and traffic was rarely, if ever, a problem.

If anything I'd just contact KCOS approach and tell them your intentions, they should be able to vector you around any nearby traffic in the east practice area.

Best route is stay just east of COS Class C (and avoid Shreiver Restricted) and west of A50 and get flight following. Follow Most of the Academy traffic is east-bound going to the practice areas further east in the Alert areas.

As you get closer to PUB, the Doss students (USAF Contracted Screening Program) are the real traffic problem - lots of them, again east & west (Canon City and Fowler). Doss call signs are Tiger (they've solo'd). Don't remember what the Academy call signs are. Academy does NOT talk to COS or to Denver, only AFF, so you may want to keep that freq on a spare channel to see who's around.

As you come south over Monument, Denver will hand you off to Springs Approach, then past the Springs, you'll be handed back with Denver but a different freq. Close to PUB, you'll be handed off to PUB tower.

The PUB controllers are really good at sequencing us visitors. Remember the new runway at PUB is short and NORTH of the long runway. The Doss traffic will be on the new 26R (short runway). Watch out for the construction on the east end of the taxiway, tower will give you directions.

It's really not much of a problem, just remember to keep the eyes open and head swiveling.

I usually head south at 9.5 and north at 10.5.

Last edited:
Best route is stay just east of COS Class C (and avoid Shreiver Restricted) and west of A50 and get flight following. Follow Most of the Academy traffic is east-bound going to the practice areas further east in the Alert areas.

As you get closer to PUB, the Doss students (USAF Contracted Screening Program) are the real traffic problem - lots of them, again east & west (Canon City and Fowler). Doss call signs are Tiger (they've solo'd). Don't remember what the Academy call signs are. Academy does NOT talk to COS or to Denver, only AFF, so you may want to keep that freq on a spare channel to see who's around.

As you come south over Monument, Denver will hand you off to Springs Approach, then past the Springs, you'll be handed back with Denver but a different freq. Close to PUB, you'll be handed off to PUB tower.

The PUB controllers are really good at sequencing us visitors. Remember the new runway at PUB is short and NORTH of the long runway. The Doss traffic will be on the new 26R (short runway). Watch out for the construction on the east end of the taxiway, tower will give you directions.

It's really not much of a problem, just remember to keep the eyes open and head swiveling.

I usually head south at 9.5 and north at 10.5.

Thanks for the great info! One question -- I know the USAFA pilot screening is out of KPUB, but where does the rest of the traffic for these training areas originate from? The Air Force Academy itself, Bullseye Airport (CO90), or is it all from KPUB?

The academy generates a fair bit of traffic. Rumor has it that bullseye is no longer used.

Thanks for the great info! One question -- I know the USAFA pilot screening is out of KPUB, but where does the rest of the traffic for these training areas originate from? The Air Force Academy itself, Bullseye Airport (CO90), or is it all from KPUB?

Academy doesn't screen at PUB, Academy flies out of Academy (KAFF). There's another program, Initial Pilot Screening (IFS), that flies out of PUB (Doss is the contractor). This is the program for new officers who didn't go thru an academy program (e.g. they were ROTC or other) and have no flight training. The Academy does fly to PUB but not very often, and usually it's an excuse to eat there. Ft Carson will fly helicopters there (again, for lunch) for those cadets interested in helicopters rather than fixed wing.

And the cadets get younger every year. Couple weeks ago I was down there and I would have sworn those were very young CAP cadets and not Academy. *sheesh*

You can download a copy of the SOP (Standard Ops Procedures) on the Aero Club's web page

http://www.usafasupport.com/hobbies-skills/aero-club

Buried in there are the details of the routes used at the Academy. It used to have maps to make it easier to understand, but no more. I'll see if I can dig out my copy and post the maps in another reply but don't wait up.

I only saw them flying once and grand total of 2 airplanes. It was back then they flew Diamonds. Both of them were very low to the ground, perhaps 1000 ft AGL. For all the scaremongering about the activity, Chinese students swarming Hondo, TX appear more fearsome. Zipping over PUB at 9.5/10.5 means you won't be in any contact with the students, most likely, I think.

My only advice is to watch out for the swarm of Katanas surrounding PUB. They know what they're doing, but there are quite a few.

All of the above. Plus remember there's a whole half a State of wide open skies to the east. Just wander out and meet an airport dog or cat and talk to a bored lineman somewhere on the plains instead. More fun.

Angle into PUB for a burrito and then back out to where the flying is enjoyable. ;)

Probably messy and muddy right now but if your rental place allows dirt runways, there's always 5V4 which is 1/3 covered in AstroTurf for an interesting experience. ;) Something to check out in the summertime. And you probably won't find a soul there most days unless you go hunting back in the hangars.

My only advice is to watch out for the swarm of Katanas surrounding PUB. They know what they're doing, but there are quite a few.

They know what they're doing but it may not be real comfortable. Flew a practice ILS into 8 one day with a Mooney in front of me and a Citation behind me. The tower was telling me to slow down for the Mooney and speed up for the Citation at the same time (okay, they just had me slow for the Mooney but they reminded me how close the Citation was...so I was WTF?).

Anyway, climbing out for the missed a freakin' Katana goes down the left side a couple hundred yards away. Don't know if he saw us and tower didn't call the traffic. It was just a tad busy at that moment.

Back