Denver Or Colorado Springs

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
I have to make a business trip sometime the next 10 days from St. Joseph MO to Colorado Springs. Was trying to go this week but I can't. Which is good, this gives me more time to study the trip and plan.

Pa-32 260. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the area and which airports would be the safest choice for a Non turbo Flat lander. I will be 700lbs under gross wt and should be cool WX.

Thank you Jon

I have to make a business trip sometime the next 10 days from St. Joseph MO to Colorado Springs. Was trying to go this week but I can't. Which is good, this gives me more time to study the trip and plan.

Pa-32 260. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the area and which airports would be the safest choice for a Non turbo Flat lander. I will be 700lbs under gross wt and should be cool WX.

Thank you Jon

I was until recently based in Denver at KFTG and used to fly into KCOS a lot. You will have no problem, especially this time of year with the lower temps. Just be mindful that the terrain around Denver and KCOS is at 5,500 ft. elevation and above. KCOS is at 6,187 ft. If you're not going through the big rocks, again no issues other than normal DA procedures. Everything happens a lot slower on takeoff, so be patient. Let it fly itself off the runway, don't yank it off. Lean, lean, lean for max power at takeoff and in cruise. While your landing ground speed will be higher, just use your nomral airspeeds fro approach and landing. You may want to read Sparky's book on mountain flying or at least take the AOPA on line course for mountain flying.

If you fly into KCOS, look for the FBO with the big Discount Fuel sign (Colorado Aviation). They are nice and have the cheapast gas.

Have fun!

I was until recently based in Denver at KFTG and used to fly into KCOS a lot. You will have no problem, especially this time of year with the lower temps. Just be mindful that the terrain around Denver and KCOS is at 5,500 ft. elevation and above. KCOS is at 6,187 ft. If you're not going through the big rocks, again no issues other than normal DA procedures. Everything happens a lot slower on takeoff, so be patient. Let it fly itself off the runway, don't yank it off. Lean, lean, lean for max power at takeoff and in cruise. While your landing ground speed will be higher, just use your nomral airspeeds fro approach and landing. You may want to read Sparky's book on mountain flying or at least take the AOPA on line course for mountain flying.

If you fly into KCOS, look for the FBO with the big Discount Fuel sign (Colorado Aviation). They are nice and have the cheapast gas.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info Anthony. I have taken the AOPA Mountain course before but I will take again. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the info Anthony. I have taken the AOPA Mountain course before but I will take again. Thanks for the reminder.

Anytime! I plan to get back to Denver for a visit soon with my Tiger, so I will have to brush up too.

I agree with Anthony. Other than that COS tends to have more interesting winds than, say, Centennial in Denver (due it's proximity to the mountains, especially Pikes Peak), you won't find a significant difference that affects your performance.

If I were making the trip and my business were in Colorado Springs, that's the airport I would use just for convenience and the FBOs there are friendly.

If, on the other hand, I were going to be around for a few days and wanted to do stuff in Denver, I'd probably choose Centennial (my home base) and use TAC Air as my FBO.

Other than that COS tends to have more interesting winds than, say, Centennial in Denver (due it's proximity to the mountains, especially Pikes Peak)

Absolutely true Mark. Also, if Eric Jensen were here he would also point out the winds at Jeffco (KBJC) can also be squirrelly due to the mountains. For typical conditions and proximity to Denver, Centennial gets my vote also, unless your destination is the Springs, then its COS.

Absolutely true Mark. Also, if Eric Jensen were here he would also point out the winds at Jeffco (KBJC) can also be squirrelly due to the mountains. For typical conditions and proximity to Denver, Centennial gets my vote also, unless your destination is the Springs, then its COS.

I'm around but can't add anything to your answers. COS isn't bad these days even better now that they've made peace with DEN approach and will actually had off. The closer you are to the foothills the more squirrely the winds.

The cautions being stated about the winds at KCOS are for real! It has been rated as the 3rd worst x-wind airport in the US!

I have been a CFII/MEI at KCOS for years, and have dealt with all of it's temperments...

By the way- Discount Fuel at KCOS is now CUTTER, and the fuel prices sky rocketed! Even Jet Center is cheaper. The cheapest fuel in the area is the self serve at KPUB (35nmS) or at 00V (Meadowlake- 10nmNE).

For any MX in KCOS, I recommend Falcon Aircraft, down on the far South end of the GA ramp, past ARINC. Neil and his guys do an AWESOME job down there. And if you happen to be AOG, they will do what ever they can to help you get on your way!

Flying North out of KCOS, make sure you are familiar with the Denver Class B- they do not take kindly to intrusions into their airspace! There are a couple of VFR corridors running N/S, and flight following or a flight plan is recommended.

But definitely do the tour- KBJC or KAPA are both great airports with excellent restaurants. Slightly further to the North is KFNL. In between are Boulder (1V5), Longmont (2V2) _home of Denver Center, Eastward is KFTG (just a few miles from DIA).

If you feel up to snuff with your mtn flying skills, then head up to Leadville (KLXV) and get a certificate from Daniel or Ursula, stating you have negotiated the airways to the HIGHEST AIRPORT in North America (9927')! Just make sure you have done your homework and run your numbers!

I flew into COS awhile back and right next to the Jet Center was the Weston Hotel and a restaurant made from a converted Air Force plane. I can send a pick if you want. Wasn't the cheapest, but sure was fun; my young niece loved it. The Jet Center treated us very well and one could walk to the hotel/restaurant (but the FBO shuttled us and our baggage).

Heading up to Jeffco to ski the eighth of March and am looking forward to checking it out. Larry O. frequents it and we're linking up.

Best,

Dave

Dave S-
Is the Hotel no longer the Raddison? (I haven't been there in about 4 months)

The restaurant DaveS is referring to is called Solo's, (great memorabilia inside) made of an old Tex Nat Guard KC-97. The left wing actually protrudes into the restaurant! They are still in the process of restoring (to some degree) the cockpit which you can sit in, and they have a dummy refueler in the tail showing the position of the boom operator.

The food is actually pretty good (burgers, sandwiches, ribs, salads, etc) and prices are not outrageous. You can either eat in the plane, or in the restaurant itself. It is very popular among local military and GA pilots.

It's easy to spend an hour just checking out the cool old photos and other artifacts all through the place. And each table top is a different VFR nav chart from around the world.

I highly recommend it! (Plus they will do 'to go', if you need catering or a quick turn meal...)

Dave S-
Is the Hotel no longer the Raddison? (I haven't been there in about 4 months)

Well, it's been longer than that since I was there; I'm sure you're correct. I was just going by an aging memory :p

The restaurant DaveS is referring to is called Solo's, (great memorabilia inside) made of an old Tex Nat Guard KC-97. The left wing actually protrudes into the restaurant! They are still in the process of restoring (to some degree) the cockpit which you can sit in, and they have a dummy refueler in the tail showing the position of the boom operator.

The food is actually pretty good (burgers, sandwiches, ribs, salads, etc) and prices are not outrageous. You can either eat in the plane, or in the restaurant itself. It is very popular among local military and GA pilots.

It's easy to spend an hour just checking out the cool old photos and other artifacts all through the place. And each table top is a different VFR nav chart from around the world.

I highly recommend it! (Plus they will do 'to go', if you need catering or a quick turn meal...)

I've attached a couple picks.

Dave

Attachments

• PA16441125815 (Small).jpg
    PA16441125815 (Small).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PA16441125817 (Small).jpg
    PA16441125817 (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 17
I took my stepson to Solo's when he was in town. He thought it was pretty cool. I thought the food and prices were fine for that kind of establishment. Its within easy walking distance to Colorado Aviation (the "Discount Fuel" place).

Solo's is about a 5 minute walk from Jet Center, and about 7-8 minutes from Cutter (formerly Colorado Aviation/ Discount Fuel). But I'd be suprised if they didn't have a shuttle which could run you over to the restaurant...

Back