Denver Colorado Area

Logs are great. WE live in one. But something always trying to eat them. that said, its dry here, so not so much of a problem. The idiots won't let you buy good oil based stain. So we go to Wy to buy most of that as well as some plumbing stuff etc. Anyway watch the fire insurance for log builds. It can be brutal. But good options for the builds. Ours is hand scribed and was standing dead to dry, out of Idaho. There are many log builders, so probably takes some research. Some acreage out east might let you have the horses and the plane on the same parcel. There are many of those.

Good point on the insurance. The insurance wasn’t a big deal in ours now but we also don’t live in a high fire risk area. It would be extremely nice to have country property with my own runway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boulder? Longmont? I've been into both airports and they're nice, although I would imagine hangars aren't available and are expensive when they are. Not too far from rural land to the east.

Boulder? Longmont? I've been into both airports and they're nice, although I would imagine hangars aren't available and are expensive when they are. Not too far from rural land to the east.
Unfortunately, there are problems with Boulder (Colorado's answer to Marin County and sometimes grumpy locals) and Longmont (locals are po'd at the airport and jumpers and have tried to close it repeatedly. Last time, the judge told the ringleader to pound sand). Eastern plains is the best bet because you can have your own strip. Take a look at the Denver sectional and count the number of private strips on the east side. Lots and lots and lots.

I think Torque Beast needs to give us his budget so we can start shopping for houses for him. :)

But seriously, your budget will drive your location. Any acreages with a house around Boulder or Longmont are going to be pushing $800k to $1 million easily. It's cheaper the further east you go.

Don’t like long drawn out payments so that 800- 1 million is probably max. A lot depends on what you get for it though. I like acreage and NO HOA. I have a big problem with someone telling me what I can do on my own property or what color it needs to be.

Unfortunately, there are problems with Boulder (Colorado's answer to Marin County and sometimes grumpy locals) and Longmont (locals are po'd at the airport and jumpers and have tried to close it repeatedly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "problems" with Boulder and Longmont. If you are referring to anti-airport/noise groups, then you have to include every airport in the greater-metro area, KBJC, KAPA, KFNL, KBDL, KEIK, KLMO -- all have residents who want them gone.

I'm not sure what you mean by "problems" with Boulder and Longmont. If you are referring to anti-airport/noise groups, then you have to include every airport in the greater-metro area, KBJC, KAPA, KFNL, KBDL, KEIK, KLMO -- all have residents who want them gone.
Welcome to KCFO! Plenty of room to build a hangar. But I still think further east is the best bet…land, build what you want, and possibly a strip.

Well after several phone calls building is out for now. Every log home builder I called is two years out and at least $300 sq ft finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some HOA's are Compleat disasters, and a total rip off. In fact I think most are. that siad, we have two places that are great. My feeling is this......If the HOA owns the common property, AND the board is in control, AND lives there, your probably ok.

I'm 35 min from the hangar at KAPA on horse property.

Look in northwest Elbert County on maps. Or where the little dot on the sectional says "settlement". Ha...

I'm 35 min from the hangar at KAPA on horse property.

Look in northwest Elbert County on maps. Or where the little dot on the sectional says "settlement". Ha...

Nice area, we seen a few in the area. Will just have to fly up and look around. Hard to tell from pics and will need to accommodate my horse and 6 dogs

Nice area, we seen a few in the area. Will just have to fly up and look around. Hard to tell from pics and will need to accommodate my horse and 6 dogs

I lived in the same general area for many years (Elbert County). There are plenty of places that will accommodate a horse and 6 dogs. And a runway, especially if you go a little further east.

Back