Denver, CO Pirep

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
We were able to get going last Saturday. The flight was good- got gas at McCook, NE (really great place to stop- very friendly). We went to the Thurman VOR, set course for Centennial Airport. Just after I got down turning, twisting, and switching tanks, the mountaina just appeared in the distance as well as the turbulance.

We landed, parked at TAC (another great place- they rolled the rental car right to the plane- let us park for $10).
We did a Grey Line tour of the city (good way to get an overview while someone else drives), then checked into the hotel (Hotel Gold Crown, almost on the airport). We went to dinner at the City Aquarium (guide said it was good... it was only Ok, expensive, and slow service). The Aquarium was good, open to 9:30.

Next day, drove to the hills. Went to lookout point, Red Rock, and the Dakota outcropping near Red Rock. We had lunch at a BBQ place near the airport. TAC had the plane all ready when we got back.

Flight back- same in reverse except we climed to 9500 to avoid wind and turbulance- highese I've been in a small plane. Got gas in McCook again-there was nother Cherokee pilot that had a starter problem. He asked if I'd prop his plane, but I've never done it, have only theoretical knowledge, and so declined.

The west isn't quite as featureless as the ocean. I could see 50+ mile in front of me so I just pointed the plane at something on my course & flew with only an occasional glance at the compass and GPS or VOR.

No pictures from flight- It's really empty out there & I'm glad I didn't drive it! It isn't as flat as it looks from an airliner though.

Attachments

• Cherry Creek area Denver.jpg
    Cherry Creek area Denver.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Confluence Park.jpg
    Confluence Park.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 20
  • deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Dakota and precambrian outcrops.JPG
    Dakota and precambrian outcrops.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Denver.jpg
    Denver.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 17
  • sandstone.jpg
    sandstone.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 14
Nice review Cap'n. My old home. I did your flight in reverse one day when I went to Cabelas in Sidney with Greg Kainz.

Glad you had a good time in Denver. Hotel Gold Crown must be what they are calling the Clarion these days if it's the one practically within walking distance. It's gone through a number of owners in the past few years. Our facility is right across the street. I've never been to the aquarium but I hear it is nice. Guess I ought to get out more...

Our facility is right across the street. I've never been to the aquarium but I hear it is nice. Guess I ought to get out more...

Do you fly out of Signature? I lived there for three years and never made it to the Acquarium. Figured why see fish when you're nowhere near the ocean? Just don't mix for some reason. ;)

The last time in Denver I found the neatest restaurant, I think it was called the Brunswick Exchange. Stuffed animals all over the walls, rifles and other paraphanelia. It holds Colorado State Liquor license #1. I had ratllesnake appetizer and buffalo steak. Great food!

Nice pictures - I used to live very close to your first one in Cherry Creek. Some nice houses there, aren't there? Ironically, Britney Spears bought one of those; and just by chance that's when I moved up to Frisco. But I like to tell everyone it was because "there went the neighborhood." :D

I particularly like the one with the geographic terms - that's a good pic!

The last time in Denver I found the neatest restaurant, I think it was called the Brunswick Exchange. Stuffed animals all over the walls, rifles and other paraphanelia. It holds Colorado State Liquor license #1. I had ratllesnake appetizer and buffalo steak. Great food!

Its the Buckhorn Exchange and I've eaten there a few times and loved it. :)

http://www.buckhornexchange.com/

Do you fly out of Signature?
Nah, Signature is on the other side of the field. We have our own facility which is not a public FBO. The main hangar and staging area is just south of the Denver Jet parking lot.

You're probably thinking of the Buckhorn Exchange.

Ummmm, would that be the Buckhorn Exchange? First stop south of Auraria on the light rail?

Maybe a Denver dining choices list should be started so vistors don't have to depend on a random tour guide?

The Chop House - steaks
The Fort - game
The Briarwood - seafood, steaks, wine
Sushi Den - raw fish & rice w/seaweed also called bait
Simm's Landing - seafood, view of the city at night
The Palm - steak, seafood

A couple quirky/local knowledge only:
The Bucksnort - burgers in the foothills
Hog Heaven - BBQ a little further into the foothills or at Mile High Field on 8 Sundays in the fall.

Do you fly out of Signature? I lived there for three years and never made it to the Acquarium. Figured why see fish when you're nowhere near the ocean? Just don't mix for some reason. ;)

I generally agree about the aquarium, but they had some nice sections describing local fish as well a desert fish section (not quite the oxymoron you'd think). They had a section with Asian rain forest fish with tigers (?!?).

Last edited:
Back