Denver, CO- PIREP?

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
The weather in Minneapolis doesn't look great (and hasn't for the past 2 months), so we'll try Denver CO this weekend.

Any suggestions for airports (Centennial or Front Range)? I noted a thread from last year that mentioned Centennial had good eats.

Interesting things to do?

We anticipate coming Saturday AM and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Suggestions for good fuel stops between Lincoln and Denver are also welcome!

Thanks much!

Any suggestions for airports (Centennial or Front Range)? I noted a thread from last year that mentioned Centennial had good eats.
Centennial has a nice restaurant, Perfect Landing, which is upstairs from the Denver Jet Center FBO. TAC Air is also close by. Signature is on the other side of the field and expensive. There are also many other restaurants and stores within 5 miles. Front Range Airport is cheaper I'm sure, but it's probably at least a 30-40 minute drive to anything you might want to see. You might also consider Rocky Mountain Metro (formerly known as Jeffco) which would start you out closer to the mountains if that is your goal.

I'm not sure what you would be interested in doing but Denver has all the things any other city this size would have. You might also enjoy going for a drive up in the mountains. Funny I've lived here for years but I don't know any of the touristy things to do. :dunno:

Outstanding service at TAC air at KAPA regularly. However, Jeffco(or whatever they call it today) is closer to the mountains which is a destination for many visitors. Centennial isn't far away though. Both have good services, I would choose TAC air at KAPA, or even drop into Front Range out on the eastern plains, which also has good service.

Lots of hiking, biking, rafting this time of year. Guanella pass road should be open now, it's a remarkable drive that starts off Georgetown from I-70 and goes around some bigs hills south to 285. Or, go the other way, and wind up at Idaho Springs and go for a dip. Gambling at Central City, go south to the Springs, and there's a lot of things to see including Pike's Peak. Rocky mtn park, and Cache a la Poudre canyon.

That should keep you for a weekend.

google for all this:
Rocky Mountain Metro (nee Jeffco) Airport, Broomfield Guest House (IIRC) on/almost on the field for an overnighter; on field restaurant is not bad for lunch, but I haven't tried the Sunday brunch
City stuff - Wings over the Rockies museum, Denver Zoo, Natural History Museum, Denver Art Center, Coors Brewery, Leanin' Tree Museum, Celestial Seasonings factory tour, Rockies baseball - uh, never mind on that one - unless they're playing someone you like, Red Rocks ampitheater...

drive I-70 up the mountains - Georgetown loop railroad (may not yet be open for the season), numerous mountain passes and drives,

Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park (trail ridge road might be re-opened again - closed last weekend due to snow)

Be sure to visit William's BBQ, on Arapahoe Road just up from Peoria Street when leaving APA.

two bbq places just north of Jeffco on Wadsworth, within a half-mile of the north entrance; KTs BBQ has been there for a number of years - excellent food. Brother's BBQ opened a place near KT's recently. I haven't tried them. Rib City in Arvada is even better than KT, in my opinion.

I used to be based at Front Range, but if your just in for a few days you want to use Centennial , APA, as its MUCH closer to Denver and environs than FTG, although FTG is not that far either. Use Tac Air they are usually cheapest and are accomodating.

Lots to do along the Front Range. Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, take a drive up Highway 74 from Morrison to Evergreen, stop at Red Rocks, downtown Denver/LODO district, drive I-70 to the ski resort towns like Breckenridge, pan for gold, soak up the sun, mountain biking.....the possibilities are endless.

As far as gas stops, Airnav is your friend. Platte Valley, 18V, always has the cheapest gas near Denver.

http://www.airnav.com

I second the recommendation for "The Perfect Landing" at Centennial. Not bad scenery both an the ramp and in the restaurant. ;)

Headed to Ft Collins in a few weeks myself.

I second the recommendation for "The Perfect Landing" at Centennial. Not bad scenery both an the ramp and in the restaurant. ;)

You want scenery? Sit in Denver Jet Center at Centennial and wait for your passengers during the winter when the Bizjets are bringing in the high end skiing/vacation crowd. Every rich guy and his trophy wife/girl friend/babe entourage. Nice.........

We parked at TAC Air at KAPA (see photo to left). Friendly service.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back