Denver area question

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Looking like good vfr with calm winds this weekend; is it reasonable to approach Erie, coming from Cimarron VOR, along the east side of the mountains? ("Airburst" MOA does not sound so appealing!)
If so, what altitude have you done this at?

Gosh, the last time I was there, the runway went the other way, the name of the place was "Tri County" and the Convair restaurant was still in operation.

This place still looks like a poster child for the TTF operations issues.

Gosh, the last time I was there, the runway went the other way, the name of the place was "Tri County" and the Convair restaurant was still in operation.

This place still looks like a poster child for the TTF operations issues.

Tri-county is/was Erie, EIK. BJC used to be called Jeffco...

the difference in approaches is the required climb gradient as the OP mentioned

Cimmaron is way south. If coming from Texas, why not head for LAA then straight to Centennial KAPA (dodge the zoomies practicing in the big areas east of KCOS) then north to Erie? Or, LAA then HGO then north around Class B to Erie? Selfserve at TacAir at KAPA is some of the cheapest.

Why bother with the east edge of the hills for any length of time when you don't need to? Just because the skies will be clear doesn't mean there won't be wind issues.

But, since you ask...in the cherokee, I do Cimmaron to Class B at 10500 to get over both the Raton Pass and Palmer Divide then lower as directed by Denver. If flying during the week, lots of traffic around PUB and KCOS due to USAF training. The back of the AF/D has a general map of the training areas.

Last edited:
Dave I'm assuming your coming out of El Paso? If so, I've always filed tcs-botaw-onm-oto-fti-cim-pub-brk-bjc. One time I did encounter some pretty good wave activity around fti, but the winds were kicking around 30kts over the mtn's that day. Other than that, no big deal. Mea's run pretty high in northern NM, 12kish range, but once you get past Trinidad it's flat.

Last edited:
Tri-county is/was Erie, EIK. BJC used to be called Jeffco...

the difference in approaches is the required climb gradient as the OP mentioned

We're talking about Erie...you're mixing threads. I'm quite familiar with Jeffco. I learned to fly there and used to do regular business at the GADO (now I'm really dating myself) there.

I am coming from due south and will pass slightly east of CIM.
Thanks for the local tips.

I am coming from due south and will pass slightly east of CIM.
Thanks for the local tips.
Then Dan's route is the best. Be careful around BRK, lots of academy training and they aint always looking out the window and relying on the TCAS in the cirri.

We're talking about Erie...you're mixing threads. I'm quite familiar with Jeffco. I learned to fly there and used to do regular business at the GADO (now I'm really dating myself) there.

Well then your post was as pointless as mine.

Have flown that route many times. Might suggest you jump over the hills and fly up on the west side. Many times a smoother ride. I am assuming you have some mountain experience and a plane of reasonable performance. Should be able to manage this w/o oxygen. BTW the military usually does not fly much on weekends so coming up the east side should not be much of a problem.

I'd get flight following and request a B clearance and go up the I-25 VFR flyway at 8000 or whatever altitude they give you.

Check out the Denver VFR flyway chart - it shows the typical route.

Beware that Chatfield reservoir area is a practice area and that Sports Authority field Mile High Stadium will have a TFR 3000' agl on Sunday during the donks game. Sadly, Coors Field never sees much activity in October :-/

The west side of Denver can be busy on sunny weekends which is why I always ask for a B clearance - why not, worst they can say is no. They often allow that as long as they aren't landing east at KDEN.

Back