Dental work prior to flight?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here we go...

I am getting one of my fillings re-done at 10a and then flying at 2p.

Is there any reason from a pressure differential reason that I should not fly with a 4 hour old tooth filling? Goin from 600 AGL to 4000 AGL.

Also, will there be any degradation of flight skills / sensory perceptions that should be expected from the local anesthesia (novacanine or similar injection into the gum). I suppose I could look that one up on an FAA list of meds?

Took my CFI ride after starting off the morning in the dentist chair.

Flew over 8 hours that day with no issue. (No the 8 hours was not all for the check ride)

I'd advise the dentist of your flight and have him make sure he does all he can to pack the filling material in so no air pockets exist. A tooth squeeze is no fun.

I'd advise the dentist of your flight and have him make sure he does all he can to pack the filling material in so no air pockets exist. A tooth squeeze is no fun.

Any good dentist should do that anyway.

My only issue with flying after dental work, depending on how tense you are before the visit.
Make sure the Novocain has worn off enough so you can speak correctly.

Had an unknown abcess and went flying. Every 2000' of climb resulted in an extreme buildup of pressure accompanied by watering eyes and then a pop and release. Was climbing to 8500/10500 from 800 to cross Lake Michigan. Descents weren't an issue. Of course I also had to come back later that evening at 9500.

Are you going to dentist operating out of the back of a van with DDS spray painted with rattle-can on the side of it that you are getting these fillings with pockets in them.

My mom experience was a guy on a dive boat.

Why would you have a guy on a dive boat do your fillings? :D

Flew with no issues. Dentist was in an actual office, lol!

I did try something different though...I hate going to the dentist (who doesn't?), but it's only because of the syringe needle in my gums for the novacaine. So I asked what the deal was with people who get drilled on without numbing. The hygienist said some people do. So I asked, "what, is it usually big burly macho guys"? She laughed and said "nope, mostly women". I said it must be a childbirth pain toughness thing, lol. So then I asked the doc and he explained about how the nerve endings in a tooth are a bundle of endings that only have one sensation - pain. He said some people think they feel heat (coffee) or cold (ice) or pressure in the tooth, but it's actually just the same singular pain sensation, and they feel heat, cold, pressure, etc in the surrounding tissues (mouth, gum, tongue) and they think they feel temperature or pressure in the tooth.

I said what the heck, give a try, no numbing. 2 teeth were shallow, one was medium depth. The first one was super easy, so I said keep going. The last one was not too bad, maybe a 3 on a scale of 1-10. I would do it again. Pain was more like an electrical impulse that pulsated depending on the drill location/pressure, and that immediately went away once the tool was removed. Wierd for sure, but kinda cool that I could tell what was going on in my mouth, and when it was done, it was just like leaving the barber shop, no numbness, no pain, nothing. As I was leaving, I told them to add this short skinny wimp to the list of tough women who braved the dentist chair with no numbing.

Try that with a root canal and get back to me. ;)

Flew yesterday after getting a crown re-cemented. No air pockets there though. Went to from 1000 to 9000 with no issues.

I'm one of the lucky few that has had to have a root canal redone. I did not want to do much of anything after those experiences.
I'm lucky that I am blessed with more than 4 roots per tooth, so when I've had them done the recovery is horrible.

Back