Dental surgery- wisdom teeth

T

Toothless

Just got my wisdom teeth out, do I report this on my next medical?

Also doctor wrote a prescription for “Norco” that I haven’t filled yet. Any issues with that? I know not to fly while on it.

Yes you'll report the extraction on your next medical. It's not a routine dental visit. Take the Norco as prescribed/needed, and don't fly until at least five maximum dosing intervals after the last time you take it. You won't report that on your next medical unless you are currently taking it, in which case you should wait before you get your medical until you're no longer taking it.

I’d wait and see if you need it before taking NORCO, see if Advil/Tylenol works for you.

I found that I had one bad day of discomfort, then it was OK, using no drugs at all.
But I'd use the NORCO if needed, no worries.

I’d use the prescription if you’re that in pain. First few hours after the surgery sucked for me. The next day I barely had any tooth pain but I did have jaw pain for the next few days. I was prescribed a high dose ibuprofen. I only had 1 taken out.

This is right in my wheelhouse as removing wisdom teeth is a daily part of my practice (and pays for my avgas/note/hangar..etc:)). Just follow the advice of your doctor. Get a copy of the record after all follow up appointments are completed. Disclose it on your next medical and provide those documents. Even if you have to take the narcotic it will be a non-issue. Every patient responds differently; some can manage with acetaminophen and NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naproxen etc.) but at least 75% of my and my partner's patients will also have to rely of a narcotic in the first few days if the teeth are impacted.

This is right in my wheelhouse as removing wisdom teeth is a daily part of my practice (and pays for my avgas/note/hangar..etc:)). Just follow the advice of your doctor. Get a copy of the record after all follow up appointments are completed. Disclose it on your next medical and provide those documents. Even if you have to take the narcotic it will be a non-issue. Every patient responds differently; some can manage with acetaminophen and NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naproxen etc.) but at least 75% of my and my partner's patients will also have to rely of a narcotic in the first few days if the teeth are impacted.
The narcotic should be a non-issue because there's no reason to disclose it to the FAA. If you nevertheless list it on your Medxpress form as a drug you're currently taking, it will be an issue. And don't give the FAA any medical records they don't ask for.

Back