Dental question

U

Unregistered

Potentially embarassing question regarding dental work which occurred to me after reading a few threads on the board.

I had a root canal a few years back which my AME at the time claimed didn't need to be reported as a visit, given that it was dental, and dental stuff "doesn't need reported." Having since seen some of the advice here and on AOPA, it seems as if a root canal would actually be reportable. I never actually used the painkiller prescription I received (I shredded it some weeks after the procedure). Dental issues seldom bothers me as far as pain is concerned.

What should I do?

Nothing except remember to report it next time. If you are completely recovered it has no aeromedical implications.

Soulds like you are younger than 40 years old; it just scrolled off teh 3 year repoting, I would not writ a letter to the agency- it would only result in a "thank you , you are now arned against omissions, etc etc etc.

Just keep your ducks lined up for next time so you get it right then.

Now if were an episode of shortness of breath with an ER visit, this message would read COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY.

Dentists aren't doctors. I am allowed to say that, by the way, because people tell me I am not a doctor! (DMA)

Yea, it was a pretty big hit when I sent it to my daughter in vet school, since they started doing small animal surgeries this semester. :wink2:

As the vet students at WSU were fond of noting, a Veterinarian is a doctor who treats more than one species. :D

Congratulations to your daughter for making it into vet school. That alone is a signifant accomplishment. Best of luck to her in her studies.

As the vet students at WSU were fond of noting, a Veterinarian is a doctor who treats more than one species. :D

Congratulations to your daughter for making it into vet school. That alone is a signifant accomplishment. Best of luck to her in her studies.

Thanks, Ghery! Yes, they have t-shirts with the veterinarian symbol (snake around a pole) that says: "Real doctors treat more than one species." :D

Pharmacology II is her nemesis right now, but she still loves it.

Reading this thread makes me quite uncomfortable. I got a dental implant while I was training (post-medical i think) and just never considered it to the standard of a doctor appointment. Just ... never thought about a new tooth being relevant to my FAA medical....

I have a LOT of dental stuff each year. What in five years do I have to report?

Cavities?

Root Canals?

Implants?

Extractions?

Emergency visits when a crown breaks or falls off?

Infections / complications of the above such as dry socket?

Sheesh, I'll have to get a huge report from my dentist in 5 years.

Dentists aren't doctors. I am allowed to say that, by the way, because people tell me I am not a doctor! (DMA)

Ahhh, yes they are. Dentists can write prescriptions, even for narcotics, and can administer general anasthesia. Can you?

Some can do surgery too.

This is one topic I have to sink my teeth in to bwahahahahahahaaha

A recommendation... Just get it now and keep a folder. Medical professionals retire, get hit by trucks, etc. Any medical office of any sort, can go belly up and disappear, really.

It's not too painful to get it caught up early and then just make notes as you go. I've not been caught by this yet, but it isn't inconceivable.

A recommendation... Just get it now and keep a folder. Medical professionals retire, get hit by trucks, etc. Any medical office of any sort, can go belly up and disappear, really.

It's not too painful to get it caught up early and then just make notes as you go. I've not been caught by this yet, but it isn't inconceivable.

If my dentist got hit by a truck I don't know what I would do. He is and probably always will be the best dentist in the whole universe. I drive 2 hours to see him. Last time he came in at 7am to see me so I could make it to work on time in traffic. He is awesome.

Kim, I'm in the same boat. I have a lot of dental work done annually. We need to keep a log and a folder I guess!

I have a LOT of dental stuff each year. What in five years do I have to report?

Cavities?

Root Canals?

Implants?

Extractions?

Emergency visits when a crown breaks or falls off?

Infections / complications of the above such as dry socket?

Implants require pix :rofl: My experience causes me to find them unattractive and obvious from 20' away.

Oh, wait, you meant dental implants. Never mind. :lol:

Ahhh, yes they are. Dentists can write prescriptions, even for narcotics, and can administer general anasthesia. Can you?

Sure I can! Of course I can only suggest nyquil for narcotics, and a 30 year-old single-malt for anesthesia! :wink2:

Kim, I'm in the same boat. I have a lot of dental work done annually. We need to keep a log and a folder I guess!

I've made mine digital. Just edit a Note on my iPhone that's synched somewhere else as a backup. Folders are old school. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back