denied medical 32 years ago

R

Red Eye

In 1987 I applied for my class 3 medical.

Prior to the appointment, I worked my normal shift (9am to 6pm) but then due to my replacement getting sick, I had to fill in on the 2nd shift (6pm to 3Am). Shifts were weird because we had to be there an hour early to catch up on the previous shift status, then we had to stay late to turn our shift over to our relief).

At any rate, I worked almost 20 hours straight. I got home around 4am and fell asleep with my contact lenses in. These were soft lenses, but NOT daily wear lenses. I woke up at noon prior to my 1pm medical exam with my lenses stuck to my eyes. I douched my eyes for about a half hour and was able to peel the lenses off and went to my 1pm medical exam wearing glasses.

None of that matters. I flunked the eye test and was told I could retake the test in a certain period of time. In the meantime, I was transferred to another city and never followed up.

Now, I would like to pursue my license again. Is it hopeless?

In 1987 I applied for my class 3 medical.

Prior to the appointment, I worked my normal shift (9am to 6pm) but then due to my replacement getting sick, I had to fill in on the 2nd shift (6pm to 3Am). Shifts were weird because we had to be there an hour early to catch up on the previous shift status, then we had to stay late to turn our shift over to our relief).

At any rate, I worked almost 20 hours straight. I got home around 4am and fell asleep with my contact lenses in. These were soft lenses, but NOT daily wear lenses. I woke up at noon prior to my 1pm medical exam with my lenses stuck to my eyes. I douched my eyes for about a half hour and was able to peel the lenses off and went to my 1pm medical exam wearing glasses.

None of that matters. I flunked the eye test and was told I could retake the test in a certain period of time. In the meantime, I was transferred to another city and never followed up.

Now, I would like to pursue my license again. Is it hopeless?
I doubt it, as long as you eyesight is good then you should be fine. Lot's of other things can bite you though, read through those before you go again. They include dui, diabetes, heart issues, drug issues, anti depressants. Know before you go. Aggie mike has a list of what may be an issue, hopefully he will be along soon and post it. Good luck!

Go to an optometrist, get your eyes checked, get glasses if you need them then go see your AME.

Go to an optometrist, get your eyes checked, get glasses if you need them then go see your AME.
Would completion of Form 8500-7 by the optometrist be a good idea?

Get good care. TOMORROW.
Let the optometrist measure your vision at 20 feet, each eye separately.
At 16" separately.
Get correct if need be to 20/40 each eye separately.

Have him/her fill in form 8500-7.
Take immediately to AME.

Attachments

• 8500-7.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 110
Why doesn’t the 8500-7 include any color vision tests/results?
Most opthalmic offices only have one set of color dots. There are five FAA-legal sets of dots and some alternate tests- most of which there isn't enough demand to support, in the average eye office.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back