Denied DA40 CHeckout By San Diego School Today

sdpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kyle
So I am currently in the process of purchasing a DA40 so I decided it would be good to do an official checkout and some training. The only place close by that has DA40s told me they wouldn't do a checkout unless I enrolled in one of their programs (these programs are 10s of thousands of dollars). My response was "Really!" and they simply replied with a yes and that was that. Seems strange seeing that this company does biannual checks with no problem but wont take the business of doing a checkout.

Anyway I guess my search continues for a local DA40 to do some training on before I go pick mine up for the east to west coast flight.

Stop over at VYS and have them check you out in theirs (Tim). PITA to get there, but use Chicago as a mid continent stop.

Stop over at VYS and have them check you out in theirs (Tim). PITA to get there, but use Chicago as a mid continent stop.

That would be a bit out of the way. If all else fails I'll just hire a CFI to do some training with me on the east coast when I go to pick it up.

That would be a bit out of the way. If all else fails I'll just hire a CFI to do some training with me on the east coast when I go to pick it up.
Make sure he meets insurance requirements. I have time in DA40 and am insured for unowned operation, but I'm in Peoria, IL (KPIA)...even more out of the way. Your insuror wants- (?) 5 hours dual? It can't be much more...it's just not that complex an aircraft and has good manners.

Last edited:
I guess buisness must be good, when you refuse to rent your aircraft for training. So I guess it can't be all that bad out there. Sometimes these places amaze me.

Would this flight school happen to have a three letter name that matches a particular level of pilot certificate???

What is too bad is that Plus One used to have a DA 40....left the club just a few months ago.

Have you looked for any training up in the LA area?

Does the school owner know you are buying one and bringing it to the area, and that you might be interested in some leaseback opportunities when it arrives?

So I am currently in the process of purchasing a DA40 so I decided it would be good to do an official checkout and some training. The only place close by that has DA40s told me they wouldn't do a checkout unless I enrolled in one of their programs (these programs are 10s of thousands of dollars). My response was "Really!" and they simply replied with a yes and that was that. Seems strange seeing that this company does biannual checks with no problem but wont take the business of doing a checkout.

Anyway I guess my search continues for a local DA40 to do some training on before I go pick mine up for the east to west coast flight.

Can you get one of their instructors to moonlight for some extra cash? Places like that don't usually pay instructors well either. You don't need their plane, you need their brain, though I'm not sure why you think that.

Would this flight school happen to have a three letter name that matches a particular level of pilot certificate???

What is too bad is that Plus One used to have a DA 40....left the club just a few months ago.

Have you looked for any training up in the LA area?

The place does have have a 3 letter name that matches a level of a pilot certificate, how did you ever guess?

I have found one place up in the LA area which I might go up to next weekend but it would have been easier to stay local.

Can you get one of their instructors to moonlight for some extra cash? Places like that don't usually pay instructors well either. You don't need their plane, you need their brain, though I'm not sure why you think that.

I know I don't need there plane but I do need a DA40 and there aren't a lot of them in the area for rent. This was the only local flight training/FBO/Flying Club that had one unless I want to drive over 100 miles

Last edited:

If you know the avionics package and are a rated pilot you will be comfortable within whatever requirement the insurance company wants unless they want nothing, but you could take that as a hint. The DA-40 is a very honest, straight forward and reasonably efficient airplane that is easy to fly. I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Key West to Grand Cayman and back in a G 1000 one 2 or 3 years ago and my ass is still sore. The thing I loved about my Travel Air was that I felt pretty good putting he to bed after 13 hrs from San Fran to Ft Lauderdale, turbos and O2 are good for that, that was with no AP.

If you know the avionics package and are a rated pilot you will be comfortable within whatever requirement the insurance company wants unless they want nothing, but you could take that as a hint. The DA-40 is a very honest, straight forward and reasonably efficient airplane that is easy to fly. I flew from Ft Lauderdale to Key West to Grand Cayman and back in a G 1000 one 2 or 3 years ago and my ass is still sore. The thing I loved about my Travel Air was that I felt pretty good putting he to bed after 13 hrs from San Fran to Ft Lauderdale, turbos and O2 are good for that, that was with no AP.

I'm rated have a few endorsements including my high performance, but never have done the castering nose wheel thing, nor have I flown any low wing planes. I also think it is a good idea to get some training in a new plane before flying solo for a long cross country.

I've flown plenty of G1000 planes so i don't think there will be much time needed. I'd say max 2-3 hours.

I guess buisness must be good, when you refuse to rent your aircraft for training. So I guess it can't be all that bad out there. Sometimes these places amaze me.

There is no crisis in general aviation, businesses are still doing well enough to turn paying customers away.

We have our standards and our policies apply across the board.

There is no crisis in general aviation, businesses are still doing well enough to turn paying customers away.

Does the school owner know you are buying one and bringing it to the area, and that you might be interested in some leaseback opportunities when it arrives?
Not an option for the school (pilot mill) in question (they own their own fleet - no lease-backs).

Not an option for the school (pilot mill) in question (they own their own fleet - no lease-backs).

I personally would never use the place I'm talking about for serious training, but they must do okay seeing they didn't want my business. Seems dumb on their part though seeing I will be going for my commercial in a bit, and at the very least it was a sales opportunity they completely blew.

In all fairness I wouldn't have seriously considered them for training. It seems there niche has to do with the financing they provide in combination with corporate marketing.

don't know where your new plane is ,but I've got a good bit of da40 time. I'm in northern va. would be happy to teach you in your new plane, perhaps on the ferry home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

don't know where your new plane is ,but I've got a good bit of da40 time. I'm in northern va. would be happy to teach you in your new plane, perhaps on the ferry home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'll send you a PM. My plane is having the pre-buy done in Haggerstown, but I'll be staying in Northern VA, vienna area. If you would like to help me ferry it back that is also open. I could use some help for sure over such a long ride.

Last edited:
Kyle:

Tim's top-rate, a good guy. You could do a lot worse.

Kyle:

And after Tim gets you checked out there are other folks around who can get you across the mountains and back home. Some CFI and some just experienced in the area. Don't hesitate to let folks know what you need. Not saying that Tim can't get you safely across the mountains (I believe that he could), just letting you know that there are options in case Tim has scheduling conflicts.

Call Gary at OCFC at SNA. (OC Flight Center)

They have a DA40 and will be glad to check you out in it. They did it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First, thanks to SCCutler for the kind words! I've had a conversation with Kyle, the stuff below is just general info about the way I would approach a task like this.

To go from Hagerstown to San Diego area, I'd recommend heading for El Paso, TX, and crossing the high plains (mesa?) between ELP and TUS at 10 or 12000. I've taken that route many times and found it much more comfortable than trying to cross the higher mountains to the north, and it doesn't add much to the overall flight length/time. And I recommend timing it so that you overnight at ELP, and then get an early flight (oh-dark-thirty early) so that you're crossing the terrain before the solar energy starts making the air turbulent - the DA-40's a great airplane but the long wing from it's glider heritage makes for a platform that rolls a bit more in the bumps than most folks are used to. And if it has the KAP140 autopilot the rolls can be enough to disconnect it - an annoyance that doesn't happen with the GFC700.

The "iffy" parts are the fall weather between KHGR and KELP. That southern area around MO/AR/OK can have IFR weather that lasts for a couple of days. Not a problem if you and the plane are both IFR, but I spent an extra day once in Hot Springs because I was rated but the Symphony I was ferrying was not certified for IFR.

The DA40, with 39 gal of standard fuel, at 10 gph, means I'm landing every three hours or so. That makes for longer days due to the extra stops. It's about 15 hours of flight time on airways with no winds, so to me that's two full and one partial day of flying by the time it's all done. If you do it VFR, I'd give yourself five days of schedule and hope for weather that lets you complete the trip in three.

The way I work checkouts/ferries now that I'm a CFI is that if the insurance company wants a significant amount of instruction/supervision in the airplane (say 10 hours), then I'd recommend getting that done during the ferry. If they want less, (say 5 hours), then it's probably cheaper to do the training locally and take the airplane home solo. You only pay for five hours of the CFI time and the gas, and don't have lodging or return airfare or other expenses.

Best wishes,

A few random thoughts: Were they not a rating mill, I'd say they're asking to go out of business.

The DA40 is a delightful plane to fly. You'll get used to it quite quickly and you'll have a lot of fun. FWIW, our insurance company wanted 4 hours in type plus a G1000 checkout (which can be accomplished with some of the videos available).

Congrats on your purchase, and have a fun trip home! You buy it from Premier?

Kyle:

Well lets not go that far, I've met Tim on numerous occasions and well there was this one time............................Nah :rofl:

I'll send you a PM. My plane is having the pre-buy done in Haggerstown, but I'll be staying in Northern VA, vienna area. If you would like to help me ferry it back that is also open. I could use some help for sure over such a long ride.

Seriously This is Tim's turf and his is in fact a great guy and very knowledgeable about things aviation. I'd jump at the chance to have Tim do the check out or intro, I'm sure you will get a lot out of it. He is also a pretty darn good Flyin Limo driver should that need ever arise as well.:D

Back