Denied Canadian rental

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
oh well I can find other things to do but I was disappointed.
They won't let me take their 172 solo on a US certificate. Couldn't ascertain if it was a government problem, insurance requirement or company policy.
Charlottetown, PEI
Felt welcomed back to the Old Country (said with heavy brogue), other than this!

Hi Dave, I haven't tried to rent there but I did look into it once. IF I remember correctly in order to fly a "C" registered plane I had to apply for a form of "equivalency" certificate from the government which involved faxing them a copy of my FAA certificate, along with credit card info of course. Then there would be the obligatory checkout with the FBO's CFI to get onto their insurance policy.

Don't think there was much else.

Thanks Barry,
I should be more motivated to do it, maybe if I get stir crazy this week I will.

Barry is right, sometimes we all forget that Canada is a foreign country with laws of its own, that doesn give a rat how we do things in the states.

Dang, if that's how they treat big-cheese jet jocks who already know how to say, "Eh?" properly, no hope at all for the reast of us!

FWIW, Australia makes it easy; the license transfers with a little paperwork and a little money, and I have already located the outfit from which I will rent the Bonanza I intend to fly around in... some day. Nice folks.

---

PS- Dave: Delete some IM's, your box is all-full-up.

SCCutler said:
FWIW, Australia makes it easy; the license transfers with a little paperwork and a little money, and I have already located the outfit from which I will rent the Bonanza I intend to fly around in... some day.

I didn't know we are going to Australia - send me some details, pal!

ah well I can't say we are not finding some fun despite the refusal:

Attachments

• DaveAtHelm.JPG
    DaveAtHelm.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 19
  • CFDUF.JPG
    CFDUF.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Sails.JPG
    Sails.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 19
I have been a little afraid to go into the water because of these boogers, they are around by the millions. Wiki says they can be poisonous but Ive seen and heard no warnings. Sunset attached as well.

Attachments

• JF2.JPG
    JF2.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 24
  • SunsetPEI.JPG
    SunsetPEI.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 18
Today is Monday; you have my telephone #. Remember, the "You've reached Distinctive Views, Lawreston, and Optic Solutions" is a legitimate recording.
C-est moi.

HR

Let'sgoflying! said:
ah well I can't say we are not finding some fun despite the refusal:

Nice Pics, Dave! What boat is that you've rented? Bareboat? Looks sweet, and yes, those jellyfish have quite a sting...stay away!

Find a U.S. registered plane to fly. There's got to be a bunch living in Canada.

Neat pics Dave. I've dived amoung jelly fish that size with a full wet suit on. Didn't know what I was doing, but it worked out fine. Don't think I'd do it in swim trunks (or what ever you swim in).

We're looking at bareback rental next year. I'd like to get your ideas later.

Wonderful sunset!

Best,

Dave

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have been a little afraid to go into the water because of these boogers, they are around by the millions. Wiki says they can be poisonous but Ive seen and heard no warnings.

Uh Dave....that looks like some sort of jelly fish to me. Not boogers. :rofl: Hope you are having a nice vacation.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I didn't know we are going to Australia - send me some details, pal!

Well, Dave, my seester, Anna, is a full-on Aussie now, having secured her naturalized state a couple of years ago. She lives in Adelaide, South Australia (a beautiful place), and has done for twenty-odd years. We have visited once (December 1999 into January 2000), and certainly intend to go back again one-a-these days.

In the process of doing my snooping about, I determined that one could quite easily rent aircraft from Lilydale Airport, at Melbourne (see: http://www.lilydaleairport.com.au/ ). Nice folks, very helpful in my inquiries, and confirmed that US license transfers with minimal effort and expense (and they'll help), after which rental checkout much like what we have here for any responsible FBO. IFR ops would be more problematic (unless you're an ATP, lucky stinker!), but the WX there is very good, esp. in summer, which we'd favor (favour).

Since one must enter Aussie (in most practical scenariae) through either Melbourne or Sydney anyway, and there are three of us, it just makes sense to fly to MEL, rent the Bo and fly on from there, thus creating opportunity for more and greater Aussie adventures, airborne.

What I'm thinking, anyway.

Ready to go?

Back