Denial Question for the 8500-8.

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
As discussed in my other thread, back at the end of November I received a letter that stated I needed to send information to OKC with in 30 days or they were going to have no choice but to issue a denial for my AME visit back at the beginning of November.

I did not send in any information - because at that time I was in a catch 22 situation.

I have not to date received anything from OKC saying that my medical was denied. So - was it denied simply because of my lack of response - or will they eventually issue a denial.

I am asking because I'm going this Friday to see my AME for a new examination. I'm to the point where I have to answer yes or no as to whether I've ever received a denial - and if I answer yes, I need to supply a date.

As far as I'm concerned - that until I receive the letter from the FAA stating that I've been denied that I haven't truly yet received a denial... But what's the real answer - and if I answer yes, what date do I use?

Did you apply for a Medical Certificate last fall (i.e., hand the AME a signed 8500-8)? Did you receive a Medical Certificate signed by that AME? If the answers are "yes" and "no," I don't see how you can respond "no" to question 13 on the form now. However, since, if I understand your first thread, you still have an application pending (albeit in a "deferred" stauts), I don't think the FAA will be happy if you put another application in now -- but Dr. Bruce is the real expert, so my advice is not to file a new application until Bruce responds.

I'll second what Ron had to say. Wait for Dr. B to respond or you might have an enormous problem to take care of.

Hrmm, never mind. I talked to the the AOPA aeromedical group and received some advice that I think I'm going to go with.

Hrmm, never mind. I talked to the the AOPA aeromedical group and received some advice that I think I'm going to go with.
Care to share that advice? I'm curious as to whether they agree with my thinking or not. Or would that be overprying?

No, actually it's a new direction. According to the AOPA, a deferral is kept open for as long as the period of your medical would last (in my case, 3 years). So I'm just going to take all of my information and send it right to the FAA this first time - because even if I go to the AME Friday he's still going to have to defer because of my situation.

What I lose is the 90 or so days since my last exam at the AME's office. What I gain is the letter of authorization for the next time I see an AME. And I save $100 in the process.

I'm sorta in the same boat. AME visit in 10/07 and got deferred. FAA asked for more info within 30 days. Wasn't able to get the tests done in time and received the denial letter 45 days or so after the request for the info. They stated I can submit the info at anytime to re-open the original application. Doing that know and hope to have the medical in a few months.

I should add that the letter didn't come until after Jan 08. Sure did take them long enough to review it. I even called every other day in hopes of speeding it up. I hope they process it faster this time.

Ron

I'm sorta in the same boat. AME visit in 10/07 and got deferred. FAA asked for more info within 30 days. Wasn't able to get the tests done in time and received the denial letter 45 days or so after the request for the info. They stated I can submit the info at anytime to re-open the original application. Doing that know and hope to have the medical in a few months.
This pretty much agrees with what the AOPA aeromedical people told me. I'm going to hopefully have all the information to them by the end of this week or beginning of next. I just need one more small item from my Dr to have everything they asked for.

I think it's best to send it all in at once, it sounds like your doing that. The denial isn't too scary as they have to put a time limit on it, but the info can be submitted later on to get it going again.

Lets hope the processing time has improved.

Ron

Seven fun filled pages faxed to the FAA just a bit ago. I'm sure no human hands will touch them for months... Now the wait begins.

Here's to hoping that I got it right!

So I was poking around the FAA Airmen Certification database today and noticed this under my name:

Medical - Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 11/2007

A quick call to the SI department confirmed that IT'S IN THE MAIL! :yes: :yes:

And all of this just 2 and a half weeks after I submitted my paperwork. :)

So I was poking around the FAA Airmen Certification database today and noticed this under my name:

Medical - Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 11/2007

A quick call to the SI department confirmed that IT'S IN THE MAIL! :yes: :yes:

And all of this just 2 and a half weeks after I submitted my paperwork. :)
Mike B fortunately your SI is of a fairy simple variety, e.g, it can be handled with the RIGHT LANGUAGE, withut ever going to the FAA doc. GET the LANGUAGE right on the first try, it'll go through.

Congratulations!

I keep trying to get my airmen to route the communication through me; most do. But this frequently happens when attention to fine detail is missing. FAA is Nutting but detail oriented.....

The paperwork arrived last night. I have to report one specific item annually, but I can live with that. :)

I actually had to read the letter several times to get everything I think I needed to know from it. It was longer (i.e. more pages) than the 7 I faxed to the FAA... Wowo, I can see why SI is a tricky business for pilots.

At least I'm UNGROUNDED! :yes:

I have time scheduled with my CFI for Saturday, and I can't wait!

(Disclaimer: I know I could have spent time with my CFI before the paperwork came, I simply chose to wait.)

Last edited:
Mike,

Congrats!

Mine came yesterday, just 3 weeks after I faxed it in. I was expecting another 3 month delay but since my phone calls were routed to the appeals deptartment since I waited too long to send it in, it didn't sit at the bottom of the pile is my guess. I had a great sunset flight past the Golden Gate Bridge, oh yeah!

Ron

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back