Deminishing sense of taste

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I am a healthy 86-year old male. I have good dental health, no illness of any sort, and feel fine. I fly often...about 80 times a year on average. I do my own airplane maintenance.

Of late I note that things don't taste like they used to do. I just had a beer and it tasted like 'thick' water...dark chocolate doesn't have a sharp flavor either anymore.

Pizza still tastes good, but not as tangy. Blue cheese salad dressing now seems drab.

I understand lower sense of smell and taste are normal with ageing, but this has been something that I became aware of just recently.

Your opinion?

No answer to your question but I hope I'm still flying as often as you are at your age. Good for you sir.

Any head trauma? I lost my sense of smell for ~2 years after a significant concussion and all that dain bramage.

Some colds and viruses can effect your sense of smell.

One of the reasons older folks gravitate toward sweet desserts, cake etc is that they remain flavorful. So try some ice cream, pudding or a chocolate cake. If it still tastes good to you, then it's probably normal. If they too are disappointing, maybe you should see somebody.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stem cells that support sensory nerve cell populations in your olfactory and nasal epithelium are starting to give out. That will lead to loss of sensory nerve cells and anosmia.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back