Deluca, Folds, and Mayer at Red Rocks

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
Ed Fred’s write up on his weekend flight got me thinking about how fortunate we are to be able to travel the way we do, and how I sometimes take it for granted. Here’s an example of how GA adds to the quality of my life.

For my birthday this year I asked the members of my family to come up with something we could do together. Not all of us together, but each of them was to plan a trip that would involve just the two of us. I gave each of them a budget and told them to think of something that we both enjoy. They came up with some great ideas.

There are two passions I share with James, my 19 year old son; cars and music. His first thoughts were driving school somewhere, but that didn’t fit the budget. So he got online and bought a couple of front row tickets to see John Mayer at Red Rocks in Colorado. I'm not talking about "close to the front row" tickets - I mean front freakin' row tickets.

Last Friday we left Arkansas for Denver (3 hours 20 minutes) and arrived at Centennial. After a nice lunch we headed for the hotel in Golden where we hung out until time to go to Red Rocks. It’s the first time either of us has been there. What an awesome venue! There was a light breeze, the stars were out, and the seats were excellent, and the beer was cold.

The opening act was Rocco Deluca and the Burden… and they rocked. I would have paid for the ticket just to see these guys. Then it was one of our favorites, Ben Folds. Not the perfect venue for Ben, but a great show nonetheless. I’ve never laughed so much at a concert and would love to see him at a small venue where there’s more audience participation. I sang along and screamed for "Rock This *****" and "Army" just like I was 20-something again. John Mayer was in great form and played the hell out of the guitar. Except for the screaming teen-age girls it was a perfect evening. But then what else can you expect at a John Mayer concert? All-in-all, it was a fantastic night with my son. Just the two of us.

The next morning we took in a car show downtown, had lunch with one of James’ friends who’s getting ready to go to the Air Force Academy, then headed home. Four hours later we were back at home unpacking and we’re still talking about what a great time we had.

+1 for GA.

(Sorry for the camera phone quality)

Last edited:
Great write up. and wayyyy cool trip. Glad you guys had fun. :)

Last Friday we left Arkansas for Denver (3 hours 20 minutes) and arrived at Centennial.
Glad you had a great time. Red Rocks is a cool place, isn't it?

Next time you are coming through KAPA let me know, as it is my home airport.

Nice weekend. A capable airplane really opens up the possibilities, doesn't it?

I got to take Kathleen and Cheryl to see John Mayer at George Mason Univ. one year when we were spending the holidays in the DC area with my brother and his family. Maroon 5 was the "warm up" band. I think I scored points with them on that trip. ;)

After a nice lunch we headed for the hotel in Golden where we hung out until time to go to Red Rocks. It’s the first time either of us has been there. What an awesome venue! There was a light breeze, the stars were out, and the seats were excellent, and the beer was cold.

I've been to Red Rocks many times. Its my favorite place to see a concert or watch a movie. Last summer I saw Cheryl Crow and John Mayer there and often would got to the summer movie series they have. Its great to sit and look at the Denver skyline and watch the thuderstorms way off in the distance of eastern Colorado. Sometimes the scenery is better than the entertainers! Just great!

Back