Deletions from Airman Knowledge Tests, so far...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Thought folks might find some of these interesting... marked the interesting ones to me with “***”...

o 4-panel prog charts
o Weather depiction chart
o Area forecasts
o Aerobatic flight ***

And... the stupid PDF is graphical instead of text (ughh... learn how to make a PDF, damnit...) so screenshots of the rest with markings in red of the interesting ones...

Some of what they chose to remove is fascinating.

66f83d86d4355b0eb83741db08a569f0.jpg

63f2ef07834b9f2b5893ec3dd9a199e8.jpg

29521f37d52934f547b99468cda57e83.jpg

LDA, BC and ASR - aren’t those still applicable?

Also, with glass panels, it seems that understanding RMI-type indications is still relevant - perhaps they just did away with the crazy questions about which way you turn the knob to correct the display...

I fly with people all the time now that couldn't use an RMI to save their life

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got rid of primary and secondary? I found it a very useful tool for understanding/teaching attitude flying.

A victim of glass panels I guess.

For the IRA test, the 4-panel prog charts are gone. BUT, you're not off the hook completely. They've been replaced with 2-panel prog charts.

I thought it interesting that they removed questions about Medevac Operations also. Guess they figure only those who hire into those roles need to know.

Would be nice if they updated the TAFs so they adhere to the specification described in Aviation Weather Services. And typeset them correctly. The way they are formatted in the current test supplements is sadistic.

I took (and passed) the instrument written this week after doing the King Schools program. For what it's worth, even though their material and practice tests are not updated to match the latest changes mentioned above (or updated much at all, for that matter), I still passed with flying colors. My biggest surprise was that I didn't get more questions dealing with flight planning (GS calculations, leg length, etc.), interpreting enroute charts and weather charts.

And that had to happen AFTER my exam... nice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My first thought.

Wait, why did they remove the tail plane icing questions?

My second thought.

Got rid of primary and secondary? I found it a very useful tool for understanding/teaching attitude flying.

A victim of glass panels I guess.

Never even studied that...all you have to know if asked on the oral, "I was trained to use control and performance method". Glanced over it enough to make an educated guess if it came up on the written which I did not for me

Considering that a lot of applicants still study for the IRA by rote, I don't think it's a very consequential set of changes. What I teach my customers is not dependent upon what is included on the written test.

Back