Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TrynaFly
Deleted

Last edited:
You will need an instructor to complete the student pilot application:

https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/HelpAndInfo.aspx?id=6

Under sport pilot you either have to have a medical or use your driver's license in lieu of a medical. If your license is suspended it is not valid to use for Sport Pilot.

As a future pilot I highly recommend to abstain from all alcohol & drug use.

Welcome to POA!

Thanks for the welcome! Also thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the Drivers License being used in place of Medical. Just wasn’t sure if my conviction would get in the way so I appreciate that. Yep nothing else for me. I don’t drink and this experimenting caused more trouble than it fixed. Thanks!

If at some point in the future you attempt an FAA medical, the conviction will still be an issue. Not insurmountable, but an issue nonetheless. If the future medical application is denied, you will no longer be able to use your driver’s license in place of the medical for sport pilot. Before you decide to apply, do the work necessary to to ensure you will be issued; don’t just assume the FAA isn’t going to care about it. You will want to review the following information on the FAA’s website so you understand the process.
https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/abuse_dep

When getting a FAA medical that is deferred for a DUI, is the letter setting conditions for an SI considered a denial? If so, it’s relevant to note the pilot is grounded from when the letter arrives until they are issued an SI for HIMS. Plan for the downtime.

14 CFR 61.303(b): A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—

(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);​

I'm not clear on whether the FAA considers the "at the time of his or her most recent application" language above as prohibiting a person from exercising sport-pilot privileges while waiting for a deferral to be resolved.

No issue for you to get Sport Pilot as long as you have a driver’s license. Fly that way for a few years; you may decide it’s sufficient and choose not to pursue Private Pilot.

Stay away from drugs and alcohol. You can’t afford another strike.

Back