delete

Yup, you could have had a consultation with the AME to make sure all your ducks were in a row. Rule of thumb, wait for the FAA to send you the letter detailing exactly what they want. Do not volunteer anything at this point. Work with the AME and your doctor to make sure you have the right documentation before going forward.

That's the thing, I DID consult with the AME before hand, told him all about my treatment, condition, medication status etc, and asked if the letter from doc was sufficient to meet the "SSRI Decision Path I" thing and he said yes it was fine. So when I went in for my exam and he told me out of nowhere at the very end "oh I think I have to defer it to the FAA" that was a total surprise to me and contrary to what he had told me earlier. I had no way of knowing this was going to be an issue, going by the FAA's guidance webpage and what my AME initially told me.
Definitely not your fault....the AME probably re-read the SSRI rules between the consult and the exam and didn't want to take the final decision upon themselves. Pass the buck, so to speak.

I'm sorry for your misfortune. I had a similar situation with an inept AME. Had me grounded for twelve weeks. Not only was he inept about the issuance, he outright lied to me about things, and when I later explained what had happened to Dr. C here, he said that the guy did improper things that should have gotten his designation pulled.

Is the diagnosis the problem? OCD with anxiety is what you were being treated for, not depression? And I agree with murphey, sounds like the AME did some reading up between the appointments.

That's the thing, I DID consult with the AME before hand, told him all about my treatment, condition, medication status etc, and asked if the letter from doc was sufficient to meet the "SSRI Decision Path I" thing and he said yes it was fine. So when I went in for my exam and he told me out of nowhere at the very end "oh I think I have to defer it to the FAA" that was a total surprise to me and contrary to what he had told me earlier. I had no way of knowing this was going to be an issue, going by the FAA's guidance webpage and what my AME initially told me.

Always do the consult and do not give them the MID or let the application go live until they tell you they can issue in the office.

See http://faamed.info. Sometimes if the case is simple enough you can avoid the complete P&P work up. Now you wait to see what they request.

Ruh ro, Rorge. 5 years. Presumed chronic or recurrent illness.
Recurrent disease untreated and unmonitored gets denied.....100%.

so now you either need to do the HIMS psychiatrist and hope he doesn’t read it that way, but if he does, you are going there TWICE. The second time will be after 6 months stable ON one of the 4 SSRIs....And to the neuropsychologist, for a cog screen....

:(

Well I am not going back on SSRI's, that is nuts. I wanted to be off them due to the side effects. It's not as if I was ever -required- to be on SSRI's, they were prescribed to help! And while I was "treated" for 5 years, the majority of that time (3-4 years) was just quick checkups to refill my prescription. It's not as if I was institutionalized for 5 years or something.I had a traumatic event which caused anxiety which I sought counseling for but was resolved after about a year.

I am quite devastated by this news as I thought I did thorough research but I never came across any of this info until now. I feel like every "so you want to be a pilot" article and guide should make this known, not just "get your medical first".

Have you heard about the FAA’s list of hazardous attitudes? You seem well acquainted with at least two of them already. Well done.

Have you heard about the FAA’s list of hazardous attitudes? You seem well acquainted with at least two of them already. Well done.
What list of hazardous attitudes? Or were you being sarcastic?

Also, why was this deleted? I am trying to better understand the nuances of what is considered recurrent disease.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back