Deice Boot Care & Maintenance

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
My new Saratoga is fully deiced (not FIKI though) and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend products to condition and maintain the boots? Also, what procedures do you use to test the boots? Do you periodically cycle them?

My new Saratoga is fully deiced (not FIKI though) and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend products to condition and maintain the boots? Also, what procedures do you use to test the boots? Do you periodically cycle them?

Any of the commercially available products all seem to do well, like (PBS or BF Goodrich). First, mask off all of the edges of the boot with a wide strip of masking tape. The key is to properly strip all the old wax from the boot using a boot cleaner/prep(Make sure you get it all off). I start with trying to strip all I can with a terry cloth and then use a scotch-brite pad on tough areas. Once you get the old wax off I would wash the boot with warm water to remove any remnants of the prep solution. Let it dry completely and then start waxing the boot. I use a polish applicator pad like what you use to apply wax to a car. Apply the wax in one straight motion along the span of the wing (don't go back and forth). I like to apply 2 very light coats and then a third heavy coat. Make sure you let each coat completely dry before applying the next. It's hard to explain but there is a balance between not enough wax and too much wax to get a good shine out of it. You can apply a top coat every month or so to keep the shine up depending on how much you fly, use the boots etc.. I would plan on doing a complete boot strip/clean/wax 2-3 times a year under normal usage. Yes, test the boots periodically IN-FLIGHT. Make sure all cells fully inflate and deflate completely and if your boots have an AUTO cycle make sure they are cycling properly. I'm a firm believer in using BfGoodrich icex on the boots during the icy season. It's expensive but works really good.

Wow, I didn't even realize you could buy a de-iced Saratoga.

The above mentioned procedure is about right. I personally strip the boots once at the beginning of icing season, and then just apply more of the "slick" stuff. I've used PBS and had good results with it, but I've heard of better results with IceX from others, and will probably buy a bottle when I finally run out of PBS (those bottles last a while).

Cycling the boots does put wear on all the components, so during non-icing season I don't do it at all (trust me, after you've been in ice a few times the novelty of watching them inflate wears off). When it's icing season, I do test them once every flight.

I used to be lead mechanic for a crew that took care of 10 Jetstream 32s equipped with pneumatic deicer boots (Pan am Express then TWA express); back in the 90s. We didn't apply any protective coating. What happens when you fly a lot is the boots wind up with zillions of tiny pinholes; I thought from mechanical erosion. We figured they were getting sandblasted by all the relatively low altitude flight There are a lot of particles in the air, some places worse than others.

Honestly, I don't recall if there was a pressure leak check or something. I do remember replacing them. At first we were very intimidated at the prospect (we were all striking EAL mechs) and no one had any prior experience with it. It turned out to be pretty easy.

Not saying it's wrong, but I don't know what to think of using scotch bright on them. The outfit that owned these airplanes bought them brand new, and we pampered them. Nothing on the boots though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not qualified to comment on boots, but this stuff is the bee's knees for tires, vinyl, plastic, rubber, etc....

303_aerospace_protectant.jpg

Back