Degraded performance....

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Anyone other than me notice that the board seems slower over the last couple of days?

3 separate networks (h.s. cable dedicated, high-speed office, EvDO), similar results.

It has been worse than slow. I noted it on another thread with the notes on page errrors on every load. I'm not the only one with that problem as well.

Jesse is working on it. You're gonna get errors while he has the thing up on blocks.

You want he should just take it off line during the work?

You wanna risk POA not being there and actually having to do stuff in the real word? Didn't think so.

You wanna risk POA not being there and actually having to do stuff in the real word? Didn't think so.

LMAO. I go through SEVERE withdraws when that happens.

Actually that happens when people don't post fast enough. :yes::D

Jesse is working on it. You're gonna get errors while he has the thing up on blocks.

You want he should just take it off line during the work?

At the time I posted that, it appeared increasingly worse.

Now, it seems to be working fine on speed. Out of curiosity, what was found there?

I still get the error message at the bottom. Any clues what causes that?

Jesse reindexed the databases and ran some other checks - but he'll have to tell you if he found anything specific.

However I noticed that, at the time, Yahoo was doing a slurp, so that may have explained some of the performance slowdown.

Right at midnight, Central Time, the speed was going up and down pretty eratic. One moment it would take six to ten seconds to return a page. The next moment, it would be near-instantaneous.

I looked at the User List. There were six registered users and 51 Guests. Yahoo, being the larger number of "guests."

Anyway to cut down on number of unregistered users? I know some folks cruise the board without being logged in and/or registered but it seems other computers doing so are beginning to bog down the system. Or, at least that's the appearance from my limited perspective.

I wonder if we can limit how many connections we allow to the web crawling spiders. I'll look into it.

Anyway to cut down on number of unregistered users? I know some folks cruise the board without being logged in and/or registered but it seems other computers doing so are beginning to bog down the system. Or, at least that's the appearance from my limited perspective.

I'd rather just fix it so that we can handle the unregistered guests.. Blocking spiders is pretty counter-productive to the long term success of the site. I was on PoA around midnight (CST) last night and didn't notice any performance problems.

I'll keep watching it--the server itself isn't being taxed at all by these "slow-downs". Here are a couple of the performance graphs covering the last 24 hours:

cpugraph.png

networkgraph.png

^^^^^ What he said.

This isn't a large amount of traffic. Spiders are generally pretty nice to a site. I have a feeling that it was just a coincidence that yahoo was slurping at the time of the issues.

One person experiencing a slowdown isn't a slowdown, it's a possible slowdown. Once more people experience it (or one person from multiple computers/locations), then it's an issue. Bill's original post was extremely useful because he essentially said "it's been happening for (at least) a full day and from multiple locations". That tells Jesse that it's likely an issue. Just posting in this thread every time you notice it slow doesn't help much because the problem could be as simple as the file that you're downloading in the background. Let's keep the perception from tainting the scale of the actual issue. For me, the site has performed flawlessly since Jesse's last round of maintenance.

Now, it works great. I can't explain the difference between now and midnight last night. It was only this site and Yahoo Messenger running on the computer at both times.

That's why I wondered if it is the spiders. They are constantly accessing material at a rapid pace where as numerous real users are pausing between pages and reading as humans do.

I'll leave it to you guys to look at it. I'm only relaying my experience during a time I wouldn't have expected it to be slow.

I've been noticing them too. When *I* get slowdowns, its an issue. :p

Maybe its time to look for a new ISP again. ;)

(KIDDING, JESSE!!!)

I checked shortly after the first post above and I was seeing some noticeable lag times to present a page after a click. Same behavior on Mac/Safari and WinXP/Firefox in the same timeframe.

I checked shortly after the first post above and I was seeing some noticeable lag times to present a page after a click. Same behavior on Mac/Safari and WinXP/Firefox in the same timeframe.
I saw it with reference to the first post above and did some maintenance. I have not since seen the problem but am looking for it.

should have added - performance has been good for me since logging back in the next morning

Back