Define: General Aviation

ScottPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ScottPA
What does GA encompass? It is my understanding that GA is everything but the military and airlines. This includes Corporate, Charter, Medical, Private Aircraft, etc, etc.

I would like to hear others' thoughts.

What does GA encompass? It is my understanding that GA is everything but the military and airlines. This includes Corporate, Charter, Medical, Private Aircraft, etc, etc.

I agree with your definition.

That about sums it up.

My own view is that GA is everything but State aircraft, military, airline, and cargo operations.

I Think GA is anything that does not need a Commercial Ticket. If you have to be Comm. to operate it it shouldn't be concidered GA . But that might be just my opinion.
Dave G

Austin Bergstrom considers everything general aviation with exception of military and scheduled passenger and cargo operations.

According to AOPA: "General aviation is all civilian flying except scheduled passenger airlines."

There's lots of GA flying that requires a comm, and lots of governmental flying that's still GA (police, park service, etc).
-harry

I Think GA is anything that does not need a Commercial Ticket. If you have to be Comm. to operate it it shouldn't be concidered GA . But that might be just my opinion.
Dave G

So Dave,

When I got paid to ferry a 172 to Maine last weekend... What was that? :dunno:

I agree with the rest - GA is everything but airlines and military.

According to AOPA: "General aviation is all civilian flying except scheduled passenger airlines."

That's certainly the way we think of it and use the term. The FAA sees it differently, however. (What did you expect?) In the Administrator's Factbook they classify flight operations by:

• Large Air Carrier
  • Commuter
  • Air Taxi
  • General Aviation
My interpretation is that the FAA equates GA to Part 91.

Joe,

That is interesting and I was not aware of that. It would certainly explain what I ran into at our local airport board meeting recently. They have drawn a line in their minds between their corporate/charter operation and the rest of those general aviation pilots/airplanes.

If the FAA has their own definition of GA from what we and AOPA think of GA, this could also call into question the whole funding stand off. Is AOPA really fighting for GA as FAA knows it or is AOPA fighting for Corporate/Charter/Air Taxi by telling the rest of us that GA encompasses them as well?

The latter was just an afterthought and is open to scrutiny. The airport board and management at our local airport appear to be trying to squeeze out the little guys to make room for their envisioned business park and jet center.

In another thread I asked what everyone is paying in Hangar fees. It seems that around the $300 to $400 mark, people are saying no thanks and either electing for tie down or simply moving to another airport. As it happens, the powers that be at KPJC are going to be putting in new hangars that would rent for... you guessed it, $300 to $400.

I would say if you have to adhere to part 135 standards, I wouldn't call it GA.

Main Entry: general aviation
Function: noun
Date: 1966
: the operation of civilian aircraft not under the control of a common carrier ; also : such aircraft collectively

ScottPA: You got it right. GA is huge. Most people never notice anything except the airlines. We collectively need to do a much better job of educating.

Back