deferred on class III need advice

172stalled

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
172stalled
well it looks like I made a mistake when it comes to class III medical and what medication I am on. Been taking same dosage of Sertraline for 2 years, no changes. Postman had a certified letter for me from the FAA today, I felt like I was being served papers. When I made it through the special issuance verbiage I was crushed. just looking for advice from anyone with experience.

1. is it ok to go through the special issuance process or do I have other options? is it expensive?
2. can I simply come off the meds, wait 60 days then reapply for the class III?
3. other options?

thanks for the help,
Crushed!

Two things: A "deferral" means the AME isn't qualified to issue, so he "defers" that decision to Oklahoma City.

A Special Issuance is exactly what it sounds like. It means you aren't qualified to get your medical, but the Oklahoma City docs can decide on a case-by-case basis, and they can make a "special" issuance.

The letter will tell you what you need to do in order for Oklahoma City to issue. You'll have to decide if it's "expensive" or not. Some SIs do have annual requirements, some don't.

I don't know if there is much you can do at this point - you have started the process, and now it has to complete. Either you follow the letter, get the info FAA wants, and they can issue your medical - OR, you ignore the letter, miss the deadlines, and FAA will deny your medical. A denial is normally considered a "bad thing", but there may be times that it's good strategy (and THAT is something I am in no way qualified to help you with.)

I don't know anything about your particular situation. The letter will tell you.

PS - someone will come on soon enough to give you some ideas on how to move forward.

In addition to what @Matthew said, if you wish to have an AME who really knows the SSRI protocol review your case and provide straightforward "this gets it done" advice, reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Dr. Chien was one of the 4 authors of protocol that allows folks on SSRI's (or had been on SSRI's) to achieve their 3rd class medical. So he is very well qualified to advise you.

Whatever route you choose to take, get started quickly as the clock is ticking on your submission. And read the letter you got about requesting an extension and be ready to send that in (if needed) before the clock runs out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back