Deferred medical, now wha??

Jim Hennessy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jimmy H.
I visited my AME about a month ago and when I told him I was on cymbalta (SSRI) for a bad back (its used for back pain and depression, but I am not depressed and never have been) he told me that I could not pass and that I would have to file papers with the FAA to appeal, but I haven't heard anything! He told em I would have to come off cymbalta fro 60 days and get a doctors evaluation to say I was ok, but again I have heard nothing and not received anything in the mail. I don't know what to do, who to call but I want to get past this so I can get my private pilot license. Any ideas?

What Kelvin is trying to tell you is to have a conversation with one of the four AME's who wrote the SSRI protocol that permits airmen who have used those medications to obtain/retain/renew their flight medicals. This AMMe is Dr. Bruce Chien and this conversation can be started with this page: http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

@bbchien

Yep. Hopefully all you need is a letter from your doc attesting its use was for back pain ONLY and the FAA will go away, but Doc Chien is your man. Be curious to know how it turns out. Good luck!

You are going to be denied. SSRI use is disqualifying no matter what the reason. If you were taking it for depression, then there's a special issuance protocol (which as pointed out above, Dr. Chien helped write) for that. As stated, you can reapply after you're off the drug for 60 days and have a statement from the treating physician. As slow as the deferral turn around is, you'll get denied before then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back