Deferred medical due to discontinued SSRI med

A

Anonymous

I was previously on sertraline for minor depression (dysthymia). I took my medical in August while I was still on the sertraline and as expected, it was deferred. Shortly after the exam, I was taken off the sertraline and my mood has gone from good to great. I have not been on any meds for any conditions since then and I'm as healthy as one could be. What do I need to do now to get my medical?

I think I read somewhere that one can be approved if they are off the SSRI for 12 consecutive months. I've been off of them for almost 5 months but I don't have any documentation to prove that. Do I need some kind of documentation, and what would I need? Is that even my best option, to wait for the 12 months?

Do I still need special issuance? Will my medical be changed from deferred to declined at some point?

The letter that the FAA sent me says I need to find a HIMS AME. The AME that I went to in August is listed as a HIMS AME here http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf

I realize I probably did this wrong but I am brand new to aviation and now I'm just trying to figure out how to get my medical. Sorry for the mess of questions, I just don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I was previously on sertraline for minor depression (dysthymia). I took my medical in August while I was still on the sertraline and as expected, it was deferred. Shortly after the exam, I was taken off the sertraline and my mood has gone from good to great. I have not been on any meds for any conditions since then and I'm as healthy as one could be. What do I need to do now to get my medical?

I think I read somewhere that one can be approved if they are off the SSRI for 12 consecutive months. I've been off of them for almost 5 months but I don't have any documentation to prove that. Do I need some kind of documentation, and what would I need? Is that even my best option, to wait for the 12 months?

Do I still need special issuance? Will my medical be changed from deferred to declined at some point?

The letter that the FAA sent me says I need to find a HIMS AME. The AME that I went to in August is listed as a HIMS AME here http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/HIMS INDEPENDENT MEDICAL SPONSORS.pdf

I realize I probably did this wrong but I am brand new to aviation and now I'm just trying to figure out how to get my medical. Sorry for the mess of questions, I just don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

If your AME is on that list, follow his instructions. The AME that put through that SI ability used to hang here but he was run off. You can contact him directly at www.aeromedicaldoc.com his name is Bruce.

I would recommend talking to Bruce Chien, as Henning suggests, or to another experienced HIMS AME. But, without having seen the letter the FAA sent you, I suspect that the instructions it provides are for someone still on the SSRI and probably don't actually apply to you any more.

As explained in the FAA's AME Guide, there is a complicated set of tests and restrictions that apply if a pilot wants to stay on an SSRI, including a 12-month period of demonstrated stability on the drug. For a pilot who discontinues the drug, the path is more straightforward:

If the applicant opts to discontinue use of the SSRI, the Examiner must notate in Block 60, Comments on History and Findings, on FAA Form 8500-8 and defer issuance. To reapply for regular issuance, the applicant must be off the SSRI for a minimum of 60 days with a favorable report from the treating physician indicating stable mood and no aeromedically significant side effects.​

I suspect that you could probably get certified now (without needing to wait for 12 months to pass), as long as you can get the letter from the prescribing doctor saying you've been off the drug for at least 60 days and that you have stable mood and no side effects.

The application may well change from deferred to declined (I would think there would be a deadline for you to respond set forth in the FAA's letter), but even if that happens, it really isn't the end of the world. You can just go back to an AME, submit a fresh medical application, and get a fresh exam. Bruce or another experienced AME can tell you whether you are likely to get issued faster by working off of the existing deferred application or by submitting a fresh one.

One piece of advice: it is very important that the letter from your prescribing doctor say exactly the right things and nothing else. Having an AME who really knows what he is doing review the letter before it gets submitted to the FAA can save you a lot of heartache.

If your AME is on that list, follow his instructions. The AME that put through that SI ability used to hang here but he was run off. You can contact him directly at www.aeromedicaldoc.com his name is Bruce.

Be aware: Dr Chien is IMHO the best difficult case AME you will find and a general all around great aviation guy to hang out with. But, you must be truthful and you must follow through with the tasks he asks you to do along the way. He doesn't suffer fools lightly.

Good luck!

Dr.Bruce is one of the doctors that made this process possible. He is by far the best person for what you are seeking. Also a great guy! Good Luck!

Be aware: Dr Chien is IMHO the best difficult case AME you will find and a general all around great aviation guy to hang out with. But, you must be truthful and you must follow through with the tasks he asks you to do along the way. He doesn't suffer fools lightly.

Good luck!

Not only truthful, like you would be with an auditor for example (answer the question asked), but completely honest and forthright with anything that might be relevant.

I've seen him get quite annoyed when folks keep adding on to their information in dribs-and-drabs...get him the whole story right from the start.

I believe, the dividing line seems to be about six months. If you were on them, one time for a single instance of situational depression not lasting more than six months and you're off of them for 12 months, you can simply get the prescribing physician to write you a note saying the issue is resolved and that is that.

If it's longer than 12 months or you've been on anti-depressants multiple times, then you're in for a longer haul that involves psych testing, which truth be told isn't exactly cheap.

As many have mentioned Dr. Bruce knows this one like no other and I'd seek him out. Even in the simple case above, you don't want to muck the paper work up, it'd be worth it to have him help you through it.

Also note, your question is similar to many that have been asked over the years. You might want to search this subforum for more info in addition to contacting a good AME.

Also you might want to look into LSAs and forego the whole medical thing if it proves to be an expensive PITA.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will see if I can contact Dr Bruce before contacting the AME I went to again. What is the best way to get a hold of Dr Bruce?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back