Deferred Class 1 Medical - 10-panel forensic drug test… urine or hair follicle?

nickneff50

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nickneff50
I currently have a deferred class 1 medical and I’m in the process of gathering documents to send to the FAA. From what I’ve read, I likely expect a 10-panel forensic drug test due to a marijuana paraphernalia charge I received in college eight years ago. I have not used marijuana in about three and a half years, and when I did, I was a light user. The issue is that I have been growing my hair for the past four years ever since I lost both my uncle and grandfather from Covid, and I’m worried that if they do a hair test there will still be trace amounts of THC metabolites in my hair. Obviously, if I have to cut my hair, then I will cut it… But I really do not want to.
So, does anyone know if the test is a urine or blood test, or is it a hair follicle test?
Thanks in advance.

Nick

Last edited:
They're looking for pee. If it's positive you get denied immediately. Then the fun begins. :(

They're looking for pee. If it's positive you get denied immediately. Then the fun begins. :(
Ok thank you for the info... does the sad face mean that you had to go through a failed test?

Typically the required tox screen is a urine sample.
I currently have a deferred class 1 medical and I’m in the process of gathering documents to send to the FAA. From what I’ve read, I likely expect a 10-panel forensic drug test due to a marijuana paraphernalia charge I received in college eight years ago. I have not used marijuana in about three and a half years, and when I did, I was a light user. The issue is that I have been growing my hair for the past four years ever since I lost both my uncle and grandfather from Covid, and I’m worried that if they do a hair test there will still be trace amounts of THC metabolites in my hair. Obviously, if I have to cut my hair, then I will cut it… But I really do not want to.
So, does anyone know if the test is a urine or blood test, or is it a hair follicle test?
Thanks in advance.

Nick
re

Back