Deferral w/ Essential Tremors

Mike Allan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ForsythDawg
As I prepare to shake the dust off my certificate after a long absence, I went to get my third class. I didn't do my due diligence regarding my essential tremors and the AME deferred my medical. I followed up with my AME afterwards and he really wasn't helpful in answering questions about next steps.

I know I need to wait on the FAA letter, but are issues like this typically sent to OKC or the regional flight surgeon for review? This issue isn't anything that impacts my daily life and I didn't think it would be big deal. Again, I should have researched prior to seeing the AME.

Hopefully, the AME bothered to read and comply with the AME handbook which advises:
Submit a current status report to include functional status (degree of impairment as measured by strength, range of motion, pain), medications with side effects and all pertinent medical reports.

If you didn't submit those, you might as well get them ready, because the FAA will ask. The good news is that essential tremors is not disqualifying unless they are disabling. It does require an FAA decision.

As I wait for the letter, I have scheduled an appointment with the personal doc to get the most up to date report. I wonder if it is better to wait for the letter and see if there are specific asks or if I should call the RFS in Atlanta now for guidance. I want to minimize any delays. Thank you for the reply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back