Defend your ticket

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Fictional scenario
You are on a guided tour on a USAF base. You're a hotshot GA pilot, let's say CPL-IA with about 500hrs (no type or ME rating).

The General comes by and tosses you the keys to an F-15 (they probably don't really have keys - do they?) and jokingly says, "take er up for a spin!"

You call his bluff. The FAA and NTSB issue an emergency revocation right after you return from your 1hour sortie.

You decide to appeal the emergency revocation and have a signed statement from the Gen thats says he gave you permission.

Could you defend your ticket? And how?

Doesn't matter. 14CFR has plenty of "no person shall..." regulations. You might as well have a signed permission slip from mommy.

The only exception I could see is if I were President, and said, sure, go ahead, let's see how it affects *your* career.

Military AC, FARs don't apply?

i basically run around yelling "I do what I want" so that would probably work here.

How friendly am I with the general? Is he willing to scramble the F-15s in my defense?

Fictional scenario

Don't forget you have to depart over gross from a treadmill, execute a zoom climb to save the engines, fly to Oshkosh, bust a few clouds VFR along the way (after all, what the hell are clouds anyway?) all the while chowing down a bottle of Adderall with bourbon chaser. After executing a perfect landing right on the spot, don't forget to ask everyone if you can log PIC time.

:rolleyes:

Don't forget you have to depart over gross from a treadmill, execute a zoom climb to save the engines, fly to Oshkosh, bust a few clouds VFR along the way (after all, what the hell are clouds anyway?) all the while chowing down a bottle of Adderall with bourbon chaser. After executing a perfect landing right on the spot, don't forget to ask everyone if you can log PIC time.

:rolleyes:

F-15 cargo pods also need to be filled with propane and dry ice.

The General comes by and tosses you the keys to an F-15 (they probably don't really have keys - do they?)

I love telling my new guys that the aircrew can't leave until we get them the keys, then send them on a wild goose chase looking for them. The plane is usually already airborne by the time they figure it out. Good times.

The FAA has no authority to do squat to you in a military aircraft.

Fictional scenario
You are on a guided tour on a USAF base. You're a hotshot GA pilot, let's say CPL-IA with about 500hrs (no type or ME rating).

The General comes by and tosses you the keys to an F-15 (they probably don't really have keys - do they?) and jokingly says, "take er up for a spin!"

You call his bluff. The FAA and NTSB issue an emergency revocation right after you return from your 1hour sortie.

You decide to appeal the emergency revocation and have a signed statement from the Gen thats says he gave you permission.

Could you defend your ticket? And how?

Did I miss a thread somewhere?

To answer your question, am I a member of that branch of the military? If I'm on a sanctioned DoD flight (the General made an order?), then the FAA has no authority to regulate the flight or the pilot. I presume you could be court martialed for flying an aircraft you were not authorized to fly.

Weird hypothetical, nevertheless.

F-15 cargo pods also need to be filled with propane and dry ice.
And you only have a student pilot certificate. Also, you want to bomb the AirVenture runway at Oshkosh. By dropping propane and dry ice bombs.

Well, if it were to be a realistic scenario, it's probably going to be a two seat trainer version with an IP on board (like you're going to know how to turn it on unless you've done some serious homework.) Presumably he will be PIC in the event of any civil investigation of the flight.

Well, if it were to be a realistic scenario, it's probably going to be a two seat trainer version with an IP on board (like you're going to know how to turn it on unless you've done some serious homework.) Presumably he will be PIC in the event of any civil investigation of the flight.

Nope. F-15C (single seat)
But since you're "The Greatest Pilot in the World" you had already studied the AFM ahead of time.:)

To answer your question, am I a member of that branch of the military? If I'm on a sanctioned DoD flight (the General made an order?), then the FAA has no authority to regulate the flight or the pilot. I presume you could be court martialed for flying an aircraft you were not authorized to fly.
Nope you're John Q Public.

Military AC, FARs don't apply?

See I would have guessed military pilot on military mission would take you out of the FAA's jurisdiction, not simply that it was USAF property. But your point is that the general authorized it, therefore you are in effect a military pilot flying a military mission?

Well if you're the World's Greatest Pilot, then the FAA responds to your beck and call anyway so it's a non issue.

(But I thought the World's Greatest Pilot had more hours and needs a three ring binder keep all of his type ratings??)

Just out of curiosity, what FARs are people alleging were broken?

You've broken a few military regs and your flying a ME aircraft with no ME endorsement. Type doesn't apply.

As far as the FARs not apllying to military aircraft. Yes they do apply to military aircraft and their pilots. Only times they don't is when branch regs supercede the FARs.

Hopefully you filed a DD-175 as well?

Last edited:
All the general needs to say is "You are hereby ordered to active duty" (or "recalled to active duty" if you were a former pilot), and you may be good to go.
Normally, you have to be ordered back by the Secretary for your branch of service, but occasionally a particular commanding general can define the need, issue the order then they back-fill the paperwork. It happened to a bunch of us in 1975. I had been out for a couple of years, got called back for a few months then thrown to the curb again. Then they came looking for me again in 2011 (non-flying assignment) and we cut a deal. I went into the Guard for 2 years.

Don't worry -- you'll wake up from your dream just about the time you realize you're standing naked before the ALJ hearing the case.

Don't worry -- you'll wake up from your dream just about the time you realize you're standing naked before the ALJ hearing the case.
Alternatively, since the most likely outcome of such a scenario (world's greatest pilot or not) would be s large fireball and associated smoking hole assuming you managed to get off the ground in the first place, you won't really need to defend anything from the FAA.

Nope. F-15C (single seat)
But since you're "The Greatest Pilot in the World" you had already studied the AFM ahead of time.:)

F-15s have AFMs now?

When I wore a uniform, they had the Dash One, the Dash One Checklist, the Dash 34 (weapons manual); the Navy and Marine Corps aircraft have NATOPS manuals, but I never saw an AFM in the Pubs shop...

Alternatively, since the most likely outcome of such a scenario (world's greatest pilot or not) would be s large fireball and associated smoking hole assuming you managed to get off the ground in the first place, you won't really need to defend anything from the FAA.

I dead sticked an SR71 into a grass strip in MT on X-plane.... I got this.

Back